What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First time grower with SILS on micro grow

PCBuds

My plants dont start to sleep 1 hour before and im certain of that, even yesterday i was watching her 10 mnts before lights off and she was praying ..

I remember having two plants of the same strain growing outside right beside each other.

One would droop and fall asleep every night, and the other one wouldn't.

I dunno?

About half the plants I've grown would fall asleep, and the others didn't.

PCBuds

My window plants have stopped leaning towards the window during the day.

I don't know if it's because they are older or if it's because they are as tall as the window now and the tops aren't getting any direct daylight anymore?

Sampas92

Just newbin
So here are the pics before the end of the day
Like always, praying to god before going to sleep but, this time the leaves are a little bit dropped, maybe because of the fan of the humidifier directs the air at her?it moves very very gentle, almost unoticeable
Mary
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And his sister, Jane
picture.php

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Looking good so far.
Temperature is never taken in full "sunlight".
Humidity is never taken above soil.
Your reading are not good measured like that.

Sampas92

Just newbin
Looking good so far.
Temperature is never taken in full "sunlight".
Humidity is never taken above soil.
Your reading are not good measured like that.
Hi explosiv, so what you are saying is that the probe of the higrostat that controls the heating and humidiy should be in the shadow, under the pot?
I know that the ir influences the temp reading, is that what you mean in full sunlight?
Btw my hygrostat probe is the black one in the middle of the air
picture.php

Sorry for the low quality, its taken on the window of my grow and is plastic so you know..
All of my probes all cool to the touch, not hot like they were building heat by the lights, even the black probe..
The digital and analog hygrometers are just there to be another source of data. I indeed see differences in the low, upper and middle area of the grow temp and rh wise.
Can you explain to me what you were saying?
Thats this little details that i want to be spot on
Thanks explosiv

Sampas92

Just newbin
soil looks a little dry i thinks:)

It looks but i moist the soil 2 times per day, one at the light on and the other at lights off, and i always take pictures before spraying the soil and during the day the soil is moist when i put my finger on..not to wet, but moist..maybe is dryer than it should be, its normal, its my first grow so i never seen or feel a proper moist soil for growing cannabis so i dont have a way to compare and see..
Thanks for the input, i will keep an eye on it :)

Sampas92

Just newbin
15 day old

15 day old

So today Mary is 15 days old.
Shes small, hoper her sister goes better.
After talking to some guys, thanks wipedmeat, skunkist, syd, i decided to giver calmag today since shes starting to have a deficit on calcium..
Some pics
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This photos were taken before i watered them with 400ml of water with 0.4ml/l of calmag and foliar them with it too.
Tomorrow i will give them some biogrow to start the feeding.
Jane
picture.php

picture.php

That palish point of the leaf. I dont like it. I turned off one of the lights above her and she only has 3, if its cal deficit of excess light, she got treatment for both.
For the next grow i know i should be seedling them with 2/3x 9w sils.

Sampas92

Just newbin
Foliar

Foliar

Earlier today i did a foliar on them with calmag too, 0.3ml/l.
Some pics
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

they were praying, but after the foliar thery droped hard and the second pair did not raise totally, but the 3rd pair was praying right after the foliar
I notice a little difference, maybe not shown in pictures, but at naked eye, its there.
The fan is pointed at her, she moves gently, dont know if it causes to have her with the leafs so droped or is just lack of nutes.

See you tomorrow guys
Peace:blowbubbles:

Sampas92

Just newbin
Today i gave them another foliar of calmag.
Officially something went wrong, the second pair of leafs is mechanically damaged too and its unable to get strait up, they always point down..could be because of the pc fan directly at her?
Mary
picture.php

picture.php

Jane
picture.php

picture.php

Jane has a good colour today, 3 lights on is good for her..i see the starting of the 2nd node grow.
she keeps the steady grow day by day, stretching at night, praying during the day, 3 days and she is good for now.
She is getting the same foliar as her sister.

As for Mary, im disapointed but i already know that bumps were gonna occur, but im stuborn as hell so lets keep goin, lets keep failing, lets keep learning, and with the help of some very experienced growers on icmag, i think my future will be good
Im gonna start thinking on another way to have the fan not directly at her, its stupid to know the things we shouldnt doo and we do them regardless..well...
Thanks guys
Peace :blowbubbles:

PCBuds

Officially something went wrong, the second pair of leafs is mechanically damaged too and its unable to get strait up, they always point down...

Maybe a dose of this will help??
I hear it works for girls too. Lol

As for Mary, im disapointed but i already know that bumps were gonna occur, but im stuborn as hell so lets keep goin, lets keep failing, lets keep learning, and with the help of some very experienced growers on icmag, i think my future will be good

You'll be fine...
You're still going to end up with something to smoke, no matter how hard you try to kill her. :biggrin:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Could it be that the soil mix is too heavy ferted for them? I seen this before, light feeders in hot mixes stagnate at first and get a bit yellow. Then just start growing once they have enaugh roots and are used to the nutes in the mix.
I always start with a light mix for planting seeds and clones.

Sampas92

Just newbin
Could it be that the soil mix is too heavy ferted for them? I seen this before, light feeders in hot mixes stagnate at first and get a bit yellow. Then just start growing once they have enaugh roots and are used to the nutes in the mix.
I always start with a light mix for planting seeds and clones.

Before i buy the soil i have researched and choose the light mix soil from biobizz, suposedly this soil is very light and only last for 10/15 days..
Also i add 20% of the pot in perlite
But it can be, dunno..
I will feed her today biogrow, sugestion from the skunkist, yesterday i gave her calmag, i will see tomorrow.
And about the mechanical damage on the second pair?could it be because of the fan?its not strong..
They always stay curled down, and when i pass my finger trough the leaf it curls up and stays curled up until i uncurl her..
Well, still learning

Last edited:

PCBuds

I say, stop staring at her and give her time to get dressed before she FINALLY presents herself. Lol

She just needs time.

She's never going to be ready with you watching.
They're always going to leave you waiting. Lol. :biglaugh:

PCBuds

Could it be that the soil mix is too heavy ferted for them.

I always start my sprouts in unnuted "substrate" and wait for two full sets of leaves before any fertilizers.

I don't think ferts and babies are a good mix. Let her get established first.

Sampas92

Just newbin
The green seems to bet better after some foliars of calmag today.
At lights out i watered her with 200ml of water with 0.5ml/l of grow and 0.3ml of calmag
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Lets see what she says tomorrow
Thanks for the opinions guys, im earing you.
Peace

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I had some seedling compost burn my seeds. Feed is the enemy when they're tiny. They contain enough themselves to get surprisingly far.

Something like light mix will do to start with. Anything except a final strength really. I will use little pots (~2.5") and accept they can't take full light and need to get some roots out so might not look their best straight away. The next feed they get is the fresh compost of a re-pot. Into final strength. Though still a small pot (4") where they stay until hungry again, when I go 6".

Taking feed near a little plant like that surrounded by all that dirt is instantly questionable. Perhaps the dirt needs a correction but it must still hold a bit of everything. The plant's just not reached out enough to meet the lights demand. The balance is off.

Feeding too early is perhaps something all new growers do. I confess I burnt a seedling very recently. Slowed it to a stop feeding it along with cuttings.

The pics look like seedlings in a weak compost further diluted with perlite. That compost was a reasonable starting mix. It's no weaker spaced out with perlite. It's just that perlite offers the plant nothing. It's dead space. The compost was never at risk from over-watering but now has retention problems. You need to get out of that stuff but you have used a sizable container so you are stuck with it for a while now. I don't think a wetting agent is going to do much for it.

A better approach would be to start your seeds in that compost without the perlite. Using the smallest pots possible, that won't dry out before you get back to them. At this time, they could of moved up a pot size using average compost, and in a few days they would be up again into a final compost. Only once in flower can you no longer meet feed demands with potting up, so must start to feed

Perlite may never serve a purpose. If a compost could be improved with some, it would be offered for sale with some already in it. You should do fine with the large array of compost choices aimed at us. Mixing your own compost (properly) is advanced growing science. I would just buy the bags the professionals sell us, and not touch it unless we are seeing actual problems to fix. In which case, add it to the perlite at the refuse site and find another brand. There is lots that works.

In the past I have taken such a plant out it's pot, laid it in my bath, and showered away most of the substrate. Just to get it in what I wanted to use. It's a delicate job, but it's not going to be happy while in that twiggy mulch. Or you could get the same pot and put a little nice stuff in and then pot that in there. Not a 'size up' repot. Just a bit more in the bottom.

Sampas92

Just newbin
I had some seedling compost burn my seeds. Feed is the enemy when they're tiny. They contain enough themselves to get surprisingly far.

Something like light mix will do to start with. Anything except a final strength really. I will use little pots (~2.5") and accept they can't take full light and need to get some roots out so might not look their best straight away. The next feed they get is the fresh compost of a re-pot. Into final strength. Though still a small pot (4") where they stay until hungry again, when I go 6".

Taking feed near a little plant like that surrounded by all that dirt is instantly questionable. Perhaps the dirt needs a correction but it must still hold a bit of everything. The plant's just not reached out enough to meet the lights demand. The balance is off.

Feeding too early is perhaps something all new growers do. I confess I burnt a seedling very recently. Slowed it to a stop feeding it along with cuttings.

The pics look like seedlings in a weak compost further diluted with perlite. That compost was a reasonable starting mix. It's no weaker spaced out with perlite. It's just that perlite offers the plant nothing. It's dead space. The compost was never at risk from over-watering but now has retention problems. You need to get out of that stuff but you have used a sizable container so you are stuck with it for a while now. I don't think a wetting agent is going to do much for it.

A better approach would be to start your seeds in that compost without the perlite. Using the smallest pots possible, that won't dry out before you get back to them. At this time, they could of moved up a pot size using average compost, and in a few days they would be up again into a final compost. Only once in flower can you no longer meet feed demands with potting up, so must start to feed

Perlite may never serve a purpose. If a compost could be improved with some, it would be offered for sale with some already in it. You should do fine with the large array of compost choices aimed at us. Mixing your own compost (properly) is advanced growing science. I would just buy the bags the professionals sell us, and not touch it unless we are seeing actual problems to fix. In which case, add it to the perlite at the refuse site and find another brand. There is lots that works.

In the past I have taken such a plant out it's pot, laid it in my bath, and showered away most of the substrate. Just to get it in what I wanted to use. It's a delicate job, but it's not going to be happy while in that twiggy mulch. Or you could get the same pot and put a little nice stuff in and then pot that in there. Not a 'size up' repot. Just a bit more in the bottom.

So from what you said i understand it this way:
The soil is a good choice for a seedling and i may have been late to feed?and maybe less light for her dont need so much nutes is that it?
I dont notice the soil to be much dry, or moist rally..i keep in minda that my intakes holes are under the pot, the pot has a height of 10/15cm and during lights off the heating cable under the pot heats it and the grow too and i think all of that combined plus the circulation fan inside the grow helps the soil dry faster..
So you see that its not overnute, but undernuted, probably because of the intense light and the fact that the soil is 20 days now..it didnt burn the seedling when she was younger, so i think it shouldnt burn her now that shes older..so me with other guys came to the conclusion i should start feeding sooner..im running biobizz, soil and nutes and they have a feeding schedule but i missed on purpose because of th slow growth in the first days..
Perlite reatains water, i know that but it aldo have areation property right?
Tell me f-e did i understand what you said?
She is 16 days old, already second pair of leafs, the soil is good for 10 15 days by the brand and the reviews so i think she indeed needs something, the other parameters are right, temps, air exchange and circulation, juts the rh is slitly off, ph of water is good too..i dont know the soil ph but i dont have the means to it..
Maybe i could do it, take the plant out and get some compost, but is an auto, it is not a good idea i think kkkkk
Thanks once again f-e