What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

There's a lot of 'marketing' in the world of marijuana seeds, eh?

Treevly

I say this because I have run into world-class strains which are really quite magnificent, both in growth and in the product which results, and the things last one year and are never heard from again. I expect that the opposite may be true, that some good but unremarkable stuff benefits from marketing - a term which covers a lot of ground, from advertising, rumour, to who-knows-what. Just like other types of products, there always has to be new stuff, whether it's better or not. Eh?

rolandomota

Yup some weed is shit I agree people especially the seller like to romanticize it and you fall for their bullshit when the whole time you have other way cheaper and more importantly better options

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Yep its called HYPE a new clone shows up its spammed / hyped and repeated with a new clone soon after seen it happen for 20 years on the boards.

Cvh

Supermod
That's how it goes nowadays. Hyped up with pretty pictures on IG.

People don't smoke to judge weed anymore. They look to judge and read the commercial text underneath it.

I remember when I back started smoking, we wanted to know more about what we just smoked. Not like it goes now with we want what we see on this picture.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Weed that's Green is about to go extinct on IG

Adios potency it was nice knowing you... Hello 15 min desert high

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
It's all about money and hyped out marketing.

There should be a reviews section here where people can check to see what's good and what's bs.

Wild Seed

Yes, the high priced US market in particular has taken hype & branding to a whole new level. There's too many breeders to try, so the newer commercial ventures want their share. And if the genetics don't stand out, the advertising has to.

My rule is a hybrid with less than a paragraph or twos description, no mention of the type of effect, or sold by a cartoon image, isn't worth investing in. If a strain don't sell, it's dropped, like the end of the fashion season, and there's probably some lesser known gems that don't stick around for long.

Sadly, smoke reports seem to have fallen out of favour too. Just grow diaries with no mention of rare qualities, or smoke reports on store bought bud. Thought of a design for a new reports site, might be useful.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
You will also see friends of a set breeder attack and post lots of negativity about competitor seed breeders work you see that in here to by set people attacking any of Nevil or shantis work.

Yet for decades Nevil's work was at the top of the pyramid.

G13Fan

Yes, the high priced US market in particular has taken hype & branding to a whole new level. There's too many breeders to try, so the newer commercial ventures want their share. And if the genetics don't stand out, the advertising has to.

My rule is a hybrid with less than a paragraph or twos description, no mention of the type of effect, or sold by a cartoon image, isn't worth investing in. If a strain don't sell, it's dropped, like the end of the fashion season, and there's probably some lesser known gems that don't stick around for long.

Sadly, smoke reports seem to have fallen out of favour too. Just grow diaries with no mention of rare qualities, or smoke reports on store bought bud. Thought of a design for a new reports site, might be useful.

I notice a lack of finishing of grow threads by the authors. The people take 15 photos of the 2 day old sprout write all the 15 strains names out and the breeder. They document the entire grow then say " I'll be back for the smoke report !!!" then never return.

CaptainDankness

You will also see friends of a set breeder attack and post lots of negativity about competitor seed breeders work you see that in here to by set people attacking any of Nevil or shantis work.

Yet for decades Nevil's work was at the top of the pyramid.
I'm personally not a fan of all the Haze, I think it's overrated. Takes long as hell to flower, streatchy and no better.

I personally like their work on Skunk and Critical Mass much better, the final product is always better than any of the Haze strains. Of course that's just my opinion. I've also found clone onlys dominate 99.5% of the seeds I've grown, really GG#4 is just insane the smell and flavor are pungent as fuck, the GMO Cookies (Skunkmasterflex cut) definitely looks to be a contender, got her drying now but it's really stinky.

Mr. Nice has a lot of good old school genetics, their THC levels are close to equal, but American breeders are kicking ass when it comes to flavor. I'm sure Mr. Nice would be a lot better if they spent half the time on flavor that was spent on CBD, or even used some American genetics from the last 20 years. A lot has happened in America since Nevil was here like 40 years ago.

Treevly

I notice a lack of finishing of grow threads by the authors. The people take 15 photos of the 2 day old sprout write all the 15 strains names out and the breeder. They document the entire grow then say " I'll be back for the smoke report !!!" then never return.

That reminds me of a few major seed sales companies which must strongly encourage buyers to say nice things about the company and its service, which results in comments 'about the seeds' being mostly comments about the service and little or nothing about the seeds, which to me seems quite ignorant.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It started right here on icmag.

One of the benefits of being here the last 14 years was to see the blueprint for how weed would be hyped in the new world.

Ironically, the first two strains that got blown WAY out of proportion we're both better than the average hype cuts of today. Many of which contain those two.

The first was, of course, cookies. Now, I don't hate cookies, animal is a nice cut, though I prefer straight og to it. But Berner orchestrated a beautiful campaign across whatever social media sights we're popular at the time. But he couldn't have done it here in Cali without the, at the time, premiere "weed site" in the world. Lotta second generation icmaggers we're able to get their hands on cookies, whereas many other cuts were still hard to get. Didn't see it happening, it just did...but then...

GorillaGlue #4 happened. If you go back far enough in the archives here, you will see lots of info that never got deleted in the attempt to "clean up" the narrative. Jw had released the cut here in Cali and was content he had done his job. Many of us here shared the ideal that pheno hunting and releasing anything worth spreading was a pillar of a cannabists' online achievements. Then, one of the assholes hit him up on SDF threads and told him he could make it the biggest cut in the scene and it could make him rich. Wrote looooong ass posts about how to do it. And did it. "Grizz" went from a grumpy cute old timer who hermied his plants in non light tight grow spaces to Josey the "creator" of gg4. He changed from the dude who literally threw those what? 5 seeds in the trash, before pulling yhem out of trash and sending them to another dude here on icmag who actually grew them out,to the modern breeding wizard who changed the world. Now, the guy who grew them ain't here no more, the guy who spent 6 months telling jw how to hype it was driven off the forums when he was exposed for being a rotten scumbag p.o.s.! But by the time that happened, it was done. I once suggested the flavor and high of gg4 was decent, but the main reasons to grow her was yield, bag appeal and the fact that growers who couldn't get thru an og cycle without lockouts could grow gg4 with an absolute minimum of skill and knowledge, and the blowback for that was immediate, fukn nasty, and organized. Josey couldn't even stop his followers from jumping my shit and accusing me of being a liar and a front for a "competitor". I had never seen anything like it on cannabis forums.

These two cuts undercut a big part of what online cannabis forums were about at the time. Started the inevitable collapse (which woulda happened anyway w new media platforms).

And again, those two were STILL better than so many of the hype cuts of today, much less the fukn seeds y'all are buying.

But, for the Young folks w less than 20-40 years of growing/consuming experience, it's necessary. The reason 25 yr olds still listen to 50 yr olds is there is no substitute for experience. And none of us old timers would've gained the experience without buying bunk genetics or growing "hyped" cuts that disappoint. Part of the journey.

I just ask a couple things from the younger generation:

Please please PLEASE stop with the "pre's" and the "this is the "real" or "original" MTF and for fuks sake understand that if you really want "roadkill skunk" then you need to start popping Afghani indica seeds. NEVER believe OGkush came from Hawaii. And understand the the terms Matanuska thunder fuck, crippy, Maui wowie, and skunk are not strain identifiers, they are regional terms for fukn weed.
End caffeinated rant.

rolandomota

Yea tell people their plants suck and the brick you smoke that they are talking shit about is better .....watch them have a meltdown lol you know who you are
It ain't just hype cuts neither it's old time favorite stuff like dj short and ace

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
But wait. There's more..... Get a free drink cozy and some groovy stickers if you buy these seeds .....

HillBillyAlien

But wait. There's more..... Get a free drink cozy and some groovy stickers if you buy these seeds .....

cHxI0GP.png

Why buy your gf a ring when you can give her these. Lol

Cvh

Supermod
^The box looks fancier than the average guy his wedding ring box. Lol.
How many of you even had wax sealant on your wedding invitations? :D

J-Icky

Sadly most of the media hype is coming from all the new “breeders” that are really nothing more than pollen chuckers of a handful of clone only “strains”.

Thankfully there are still plenty of people here on these forums and others that like going back to old school genetics, heirlooms and land races. If it weren’t for those people that constantly get bashed for growing “garbage” and living in the past then the cannabis scene would be in a sad place in the next 10-20 years.

BearCreekFarms

The future is in preservation. There is alot of older good gear that gets passed over for the latest fad.

Dont worry kids, we got yer back.

best regards,
mendel

Latest posts

Latest posts