What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bacon-wrapped beef tenderloin illustrated tutorial

stinkyattic

her dankness
Veteran
Some of you folks remember the classic BBC cooking show 'Two Fat Ladies'. They rode around the UK on their antique Triumph motorcycle with sidecar, wearing funny leather helmets and goggles, chain-smoked cigarettes in the earlier episodes, and added bacon to anything that didn't run away, and if it DID, they killed it and added bacon to it.

This is my homage to Clarissa and Jennifer!

Ingredients:
One or more 3-lb tenderloins of beef, trimmed of fat and connective tissues
One pound of good quality thick-cut bacon per linear foot of tenderloin- this is the only time you will see that unit of measurement applied to food ;)
Some small scrubbed potatoes

Herb paste:
Several sprigs each of fresh sage, rosemary, and thyme, coarsely chopped
2 shallots, coarsely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
Teaspoon balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons dry red wine
Black pepper and salt to taste
Put all this stuff in a blender and puree, then add half again its volume in olive oil or melted butter and whirl one more time quick

Rub the beef down well with herb paste, covering it all as thickly as its consistency allows, and working it into any splits between the muscles too. Use any leftover paste and toss the taters in it.

Lay the bacon out flat as shown, overlapping pieces so the fattier side of each is facing up. Note that they are also flipped end to end so the piece comes out as a rectangle.

Thread a large upholstery or darning needle with clean white cotton or hemp cord. Thicker is better. Carefully lace up the bacon as shown, pulling just snug enough to hold together without tearing. This is why you should choose THICK bacon. If you can't find any, get it from a butcher. Thin commercial bacon is a bitch to lace up.

Pat it down flat and carefully lay it on a roasting pan with a grate in it, lacing side down. Let sit until it comes to room temperature, or close.

Place the whole thing in an oven set to 300'F, uncovered. The bacon is sacrifical. A thick roast will take ~1 1/2 hours to cook. But you MUST monitor inner temperature during this time. Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the roast and remove from the oven when the thermometer reads 125'F for rare or 130'F for medium rare.
Cover loosely, LOOSELY, with tinfoil when it comes out. Just lay a flat piece over the roast, or don't cover at all. I don't like well cooked red meat and don't know the numbers for a more-cooked roast, sorry. The roast will come up a bit more in temperature over the next 15 minutes and will then be ready to plate and carve.

I serve it with shiitake gravy:
Re-hydrate 2 handfuls of dried shiitake and oyster mushrooms in half and half white vermouth and water, just enough to cover. When moistened, squeeze out excess liquid and reserve, and chop coarsely.
Finely chop 2-3 shallots.
To reserved mushroom vermouth juice, add some concentrated beef stock and bring volume to ~2 cups with more water. Whisk.
Saute shallot and mushroom in a HEAVY saucepan with 2 tablespoons of butter. When they start to brown, add another 2 tbsp butter or roast drippings and shake in enough flour to partially coat the mushrooms. Continue to stir and scrape the pan for another minute or two to cook the flour, then add mushroom juice and whisk until smooth. Cook until thickened, season with salt and pepper to taste.

Other accompaniments that are good with this meal are wild rice, a Yorkshire pudding, and steamed asparagus with lemon butter.

stinkyattic

her dankness
Veteran
Ah ain't gots no sweet tooth! (Well there's a SWT#3 and a Blockhead in the cellar... )
But I occasionally have been known to bake.
Here... dig in folks! Applejack cake with apple butter layers and a fondant frosting. The decoration is also hand-shaped fondant.
And there's a nice pie to go with.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I see icmag has its own Julia Child. I'd rep you again if i could. i guess the only question is are you a better cook or a better grower?
Sweettooth #3 indeed...

FallenBuddha

Chat Mod
Veteran
That looks like the head of a 5 and up, nothing like beef in bondage, i did something like that with pork loin and a southwestern seasoning tangent and it was bomb, thanks for sharing. And that cake is flawless, great job.

peace -fb

stinkyattic

her dankness
Veteran
Wow, thanks so much guys!!!

Leader- hells yeah, that sounds bad ass. My buddy is out a-huntin as we speak and so's his dad; they both have doe tags this year and I KNOW they'll take bud-for-meat swaps all week and Sunday too. Couple stoners, lol.... Hmmmm... I prefer elk meat but until I see one of them things up in the woods here in W-MA I'll have to just hope for a deer. Now I'm hungry.

Bababooey- Thanks, and did you see that news bit about Julia Child the CIA agent? I always KNEW she was a smart one. Just a bit of fresh ground pepper... glass of wine for the pot... glass of wine for the chef... hang on, my shoulder holster is caught on my apron string... lol. As for better cook or grower, you will have a hard time answering that one. You can't fail at something when you do it for love!

Buddha- Bondage in the kitchen is just as good as bondage in the grow room! (Won't consider other rooms of the house...lol another thread perhaps...) Ask my mother plants about THAT one...
Thanks. That cake was my first ever attempt at Fondant. Which sucks, by the way! It's fun to play with, makes me feel like back at preschool making shit out of play-doh, but trying to get a big sheet nice and flat, and tinted evenly, and rolled out with a MINIMUM of dog hair stuck to it- aaaargh! It went over big with the Aunties though.

Art- You know you are always welcome at my table.

C

cbf

That Filet Mignon is making my mouth water. You know what is great with that?
Get some fresh large shrimp,(ra/de-veined) and add some of your herb paste.
Then saute the bacon just a tad to get it half fried, then wrap half a piece of bacon individually aroud the shrimp just to wrap it once and pin it in place with toothpicks.. Then half way through the tenderloin bake, throw them in the oven beside the potatoes and meat and in about 10 minutes( Maybe turn 'em over after 5 minutes. ) melt a little butter and voila - you have perfect surf and turf.
Great thread, your munchies look heavely too. Mad respect for the ICMAG chefs!

stinkyattic

her dankness
Veteran
That sounds great; my girl Demeter from canncom makes a baked pesto shrimp dish EXACTLY as you described, using basil from her garden- she grows 6 varieties and makes several different types of pesto with them. Really REALLY tasty stuff right thurrr.

stinky wow I wish you were with me the apple cakes and shit and that roast looks fucking great I might try it sometime but kudos to you my friend looked like a good meal.

smokn1

Stinky......bacon makes everything better...especially bacon. Looks great!!!
I was a chef for over 15 years and that is the way to get some flavor back into those chateubrian roasts. :yummy:

C

cellardweller

A bacon flow chart..
will wonders never cease :chin:
I have now seen everything thanks to you, Ms. Attic.
:respect: for your roast too!!

I love cooking, and have done this with both beef, and pork tenderloins! Love that i somehow stumbled into this thread! Made my mouth watering, i think ill have to smoke some meet now this weekend!!!