What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Highland Thai, RSC

troutman

Seed Whore
my brother tried growing a pure thai at 41 north last year and he said it hadn't shown sex by mid september, so he tossed it. :(
The best way to attempt finishing off a pure Thai in the north is with a greenhouse equipped a light deprivation setup. :tiphat:

PineNuts

I took cuttings, and I have to report that they have the quickest and most vigorous rooting performance you can ask for. Without rooting hormone, the results are equivalent or better than If I had used a hormone gel on any hybrid's cutting. Undifferentiated cell callus formed on the entire surface of the stem in about a week within my diy bubble cloner, which I think is amazingly quick.

AbuKeif

Can anyone share some info on the prevalence of hermies in this strain? I'm currently doing a personal-use seed-run out of a five-pack, so pollen is a good thing for me right now, but I've heard that the wilder, woolier SE Asian strains have a tendency to sprout lots of nanners--how does RSC Highland Thai compare?

troutman

Seed Whore
Can anyone share some info on the prevalence of hermies in this strain? I'm currently doing a personal-use seed-run out of a five-pack, so pollen is a good thing for me right now, but I've heard that the wilder, woolier SE Asian strains have a tendency to sprout lots of nanners--how does RSC Highland Thai compare?

I never saw any hermies.

Use a natural photoperiod of no more than 14 hours to veg and you'll cut down on hermies.

Hint: Pure Sativas don't get 18 hours of light in their natural environment in case you didn't know. :tiphat:

Good Luck

AbuKeif

Thanks for the response, troutman!

Yeah, with the indoor grow setup I'm running right now, there's no way I was going to try anything but 12/12 from seed with these beasts, so 18 hours of light was never an issue. I'm trying to get some more seeds out of my five-pack, so I let my lone male go to town in the tent and then removed him. I haven't spotted a single hermie on the pollinated females, but I would assume (without knowing from experience) that a pollinated female is less likely to hermie, so not sure how relevant that observation might be to the strain's stability in general. I'm looking forward to playing more with this line once I've got a larger seed stash to experiment with, but it's encouraging that perhaps this strain is an exception to the usual rule that big gangly Asian sativas = rampant hermies.

troutman

Seed Whore
Just checked and I used 13 hours for almost 2 weeks to veg in my last Sativa Landrace grow before going 12/12.

Ncali

Veteran
Troutman, great info. Did you further increase dark periods to 11/13 or 10/14 during flowering?

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
Troutman, great info. Did you further increase dark periods to 11/13 or 10/14 during flowering?

I started flowering with 12/12.

But after a few weeks I went down to 11 1/2 on and 12 1/2 off until I was done.

I've never used 10/14 and won't.

Popey

I greet everyone and especially Green. Can this variety cause a heart-racing high and paranoia?

ngakpa

Veteran
I greet everyone and especially Green. Can this variety cause a heart-racing high and paranoia?

anything with THC in it can cause paranoia

but this Highland Thai strain typically has a nicely centred quality to it, probably in part due to CBD from its likely 'chinensis' genetics

if you're looking to avoid that heat-racing intensity associated with more fearsome tropical sativas then this strain is worth a look

AbuKeif

I started some from seed on September 15 of last year and put them under 12/12 (then 11/13) lighting almost immediately, and finally chopped them last weekend, so all in all flowering time was a mere... 24 weeks? I'm glad I didn't chop sooner, since they really put on some weight towards the very end. Not a strain for the impatient!

troutman

Seed Whore
I started some from seed on September 15 of last year and put them under 12/12 (then 11/13) lighting almost immediately, and finally chopped them last weekend, so all in all flowering time was a mere... 24 weeks? I'm glad I didn't chop sooner, since they really put on some weight towards the very end. Not a strain for the impatient!

Pure Sativas are never for the impatient.

Flowering times advertised with seed banks are just a guidelines.

Also until a plant is mature enough it won't flower so take that into account.

romanoweed

Also until a plant is mature enough it won't flower so take that into account.

Troutman

when should one sprout seeds if he deals with such a long flowering time like highland thai rsc? Talking about outdoor grow.. is there a date you recommend? Do you know outdoor advice?
Thanx

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
Troutman

when should one sprout seeds if he deals with such a long flowering time like highland thai rsc? Talking about outdoor grow.. is there a date you recommend? Do you know outdoor advice?
Thanx

If you live in a Northern area it will be hard to flower them without a greenhouse and light deprivation setup outdoors.

romanoweed

I meant, sorry didnt tell, around 45 degree of latitude. And for shure its insane, but i also would harvest very early.. i mean why shouldnt one try despite the risk. These seeds are quiet cheap for their Genetics.. Put the risk beside, how big is the chance of harvesting a shure tiny bud, wich may differ in taste, but mostly important has the same rocketfuel quality of the fully flowered Plant, and when to sprout Seeds? I heard some Sativas-Lines you have to harvest in the right Moment cause Effect differs every time, but i seemed to heard that it shouldnt differ that much in all lines, some are little more consistent and dont differ aaas much as it diffres in other lines .. But i seemd to have heard, that a certain lenght of flowering is still needed, but not shure on that.. And also light intensity seems actually quiet important for such sativas. seems to be a must to have strong light.. So actually here it wont work, but i still may try. Thanx

Last edited:

AbuKeif

I'm at 42 degrees north, and given the flowering time, I simply can't imagine that you would get a crop worth smoking growing this strain outside at our latitudes--perhaps if you had lots of plants to do a hash run with, it might be worth your while, or if you initiated flowering indoors and then put the plants outside at just the right moment... but if you're in it for the end result, you might as well go and get a decent greenhouse/light deprivation setup, as Troutman recommended, or just do an indoor grow!

Please don't let me discourage you if you're interested for the crazy garden experiment--I'm certainly a fan of those, I just wouldn't want you to be disappointed with less-than-optimal results.

romanoweed

thanx abu

I think if you have a Strain that makes you hallucinate, we would get into the area of being worth it, cause its sort of another drug.. The biggest problem could be indeed the lightintensity, i heard tropical strains naturally given like, or rather need to have stronger light. That might very realisticly make the plants express different, not like they should, atleast i think i heard that . I multiple times heard for thai sativas, that they are quiet frost resistant.. so it might be possible that your plant can live until end december, cause often it doesent snow until then, atleast where i live. And Mould resistency is also very often given in sativas. Thats my hope, but like said i would love to hear someone, who has done such a thing how much he was still getting, that was smokable. So thanks for sharing some experiences.
And did anyone get earlier flower trough Indoor prevegging? and how much can you shorten harvest time? to wich degree? i heard this too, but never heard a good descripiton how much is possible with that. And i think i remember that some lineages react to that better than others. Meaning some arent impressed by preflowering. but i cant remeber that right. Actually indor preflowering would be a quiet easy task compared to others. If i recall right you have a greater veriety of Lamps wich can be used for early stages of vegging... And lightcycles and stuff isnt all that important in early stages. So quiet easy, not so expensive when done 2Months.... Some say you dont even need darkness in night, but some others say it makes sativas go hermie more often... if not you could just install some lights and plants in the corner of your bedroom and atleast the Harvesttime-problem is minimalized. Can someone explain me this better who has done such a thing? Just short, after that we can go ontopic again. I just dont know any thread where this idea was discussed and probably it fits somehow. just short.

Hey if you some wanna continue on that Topic : I OPEND a NEW THREAD in outdoorgrowing section: here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=360394

Last edited: