What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Origin Of Cannabis

Genghis Kush

great link

it goes on to say "... so Cannabis and Humulus are likely to have diverged at some point between 34 and 6.38 MYA."

and then this,
"It has been suggested that humans were responsible for the divergence of C. sativa and C. indica. The hypothesis is that the progenitor of cannabis inhabited the steppes of Central Asia within the last 50,000 years, alongside populations of Upper Paleolithic hunter-gatherers that may have already begun to utilise the plant.

As the climate cooled leading up to the last glacial maximum (LGM; 26,000-19,000 BP), these groups began to migrate southward to warmer regions, possibly taking these early proto-cannabis seeds with them and thereby saving them from extinction as the cold weather advanced.

These migrating populations diverged and settled in two key refuges: the temperate foothills of southern and south-eastern Europe, where the putative hemp ancestor and progenitor of modern C. sativa was to develop, and the temperate mountain valleys of southern Asia, where the putative drug ancestor and progenitor of modern C. indica arose.

There is also speculation that C. ruderalis survived the LGM in more northerly refuges. Certainly, there is little dispute that outside of geographically-limited ‘refugia’, no cannabis species would have survived the LGM, and that speciation occurred during such a period.

However, it is considered more likely by some that C. sativa and C. indica diverged during a glacial period prior to the LGM, and had already become fully speciated by the time early humans encountered it."

Looking forward to hearing the results of Sams work Cannabis DNA.

CannaZen

You know i think humans may have been involved in the breeding of cannabis for far longer than we realize (we know it is beyond recorded history), no other plant has such genetically expressed variety that we humans notice. or perhaps these traits can be 'evolved' far faster than i realized, is it simply falling back on its millions of years old plant genes?

Think about it, Any other kind of plant species is known for only a few types of oils the plant species is known to be capable of producing. Mint would seem to be second to cannabis in its variety of oils. although plant families can have far more variety than cannabis, the the grass/bamboo family for example could be considered far more extensive.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Founders of Western civilisation were prehistoric dope dealers

link

They're finally putting together ancient population genetics and archaeology. This year European genomes spanning from 40 000 years ago to present day were sequenced for the first time and they seem to point that up to 40% of the genes of northern Europeans originate from massive late stone age and bronze age movements from the steppes, namely Yamnaya culture. (Corded ware culture in the Baltic) They were likely to have spread the indo-european languages with them, and now according to this study also cannabis. As we know indo-european migrations made their way to India as well..

idiit

Veteran
The Origin Of Cannabis
aliens brought cannabis to earth.

there is no plant even close to cannabis in genetic sophistication.

there is no mammal genetically close to humans on earth. for example, humans have a reptilian brain component.

humans and cannabis are genetically alien to this planet.

closed minds can't accept answers that don't fit inside their cognitive paradigm.

Dog Star

Veteran
aliens brought cannabis to earth.

there is no plant even close to cannabis in genetic sophistication.

there is no mammal genetically close to humans on earth. for example, humans have a reptilian brain component.

humans and cannabis are genetically alien to this planet.

closed minds can't accept answers that don't fit inside their cognitive paradigm.

For sure we have reptilian DNA,but reptilians that originate
from Earth..

Dimetrodon is grand dad of all mammals,sinapsoide reptile
that lived long ago before dinosours walked on Earth..

Our "grandfather" was a true reptile and its not weird
we have part of his archaic genetics incorporated in self.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimetrodon

Those saying "We are one" is not a joke.. ;)

Kind regards Iidit

DS

idiit

Veteran
Is The MJ Plant An Alien Plant?
Are You Sirius?
This is just a really curious excerpt taken from Jason Kings "The Cannabible III"

Are You Sirius?

Take a look at the word cannabis. Ever wonder what it means? Cannabis is a Greek word, though its root is African. In Greek, canna means 'canine' or 'dog' and bis or bi is the number two. So cannabis is the 'two dog plant'! That in itself is interesting to me. But the pot thickens.

There is a cannabis-loving tribe in Mali, West Africa called the Dogon tribe. A fairly well-documented group, the Dogons were visited by Herodotus, a Greek traveler and chronicler, around 300 BC. He was fortunate enough to have visited the Dogons during a year-long celebration that took place every 50 years. Explaining their celebration, the Dogons pointed to the brightest star in the Winter sky, Sirius, and said it was the 'Two-Dog Star' and that it was the home of the 'two-dog plant', cannabis. The two-dog plant, they said, was brought to our planet from the Goddess from the Two Dog Star. Their yearlong celebration was in honor of that star.

All of this would be easy to dismiss if not for the fact the Dogons possessed specific knowledge about the Sirian system for thousands of years before scientists with modern telescopes and equipment could catch up and prove them right. The Dogons had specific knowledge about Sirius B, a white dwarf star, which they call Po Tolo. They knew that it was white, that it was extremely small, and that its the heaviest star in its grouping. They were able to describe its elliptical orbit with Sirius A, its 50 year orbital period, and the fact that the star rotated on its own axis. Sirius B is invisible to the naked eye abd is so difficult to observe, even through a telescope, no pictures were taken until 1970.

They also described a third star in the Sirius system, which they called Emme Ya. In 1995, when two French astronomers published the results of a multi-year study that was apparently a small, red dwarf star within the Sirius star system, the Dogon idea of there being a Sirius C, aka Emme Ya, was suddenly taken much more seriously. If the Dogons were correct in all of their other knowledge about Sirius, why would they not be dead on with their claims of cannabis being from Sirius. It is, after all, named after that "Two-Dog Star'

Note: The Dog Star was highly venerated in ancient Mesopotamia, where its old Akkadian name was Mil-lik-ud (Dog Star Of the Sun) and in Babylonia, where it was called Kakkab-lik-ku (Star Of The Dog). The assyrians called Sirius Kal-bu-sa mas (the Dog of the Sun) and in Chaldea, it was known as Kak-shisha (The Dog Star That Leads)

I got this directly out of the book. Pretty interesting stuff nonetheless. What do you all think?
http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/89689-the-origin-of-cannabis/

Dog Star

Veteran
Yes i know...

but a Sirius systhem is 200-300 million years old and that is scientific fact..

now plants dont grow on stars directly so they need planets
to establish life of itself... so if Sirius systhem haves planets than this planets
are still not in mode to sustain life.. just remember Hadium on Earth and you will
understand why this are not possible in Sirius systhem.

In a moment when star starts to live inside star systhem are also produced planets..
so they need to cool if they are rock planets for some time before any life
can establish except those exremophile that can survive high temps
like bacteries and very simple organismes..

So if you ask me somehow am not convinced that so young star systhems can establish complex type of life now,
but in future its highly possible..

but am awared that Universe is much older than our sun systhem and that life originate out of his borders..

Maybe Metuzaleh star systhem,190 light years from us,its a more than 13 billion years old... this star systhems haved time to produce miracles thru long history of their own existing..

Sirius looks as systhem that will give life in future.. its too young now..

idiit

Veteran
^ I honestly don't know. interesting perspective re alien genetics me thinks.

ok, we've had a little fun. I don't want to jack the thread permanently off into the woo woo. I do believe what I posted but i'm a' gonna back off so other more traditional perspectives have their say.

thread has been around for 6 years so I think it can take a little juice, but not too much juice.:)

Dog Star

Veteran
No problems Iidit,

will not go too much woo woo style... ;) LOL

And that plant originate from Creator itself,dont know why we need to exclude
all the time his majesty from his own creation..,thats mine thoughts
to not be offtopic.

W

Water-

Genetic Evidence for Speciation in Cannabis (Cannabaceae)

https://www.researchgate.net/public...idence_for_Speciation_in_Cannabis_Cannabaceae

The narrow-leafleted drug accessions are rela-tively devoid of genetic variation, compared to the other conceptual groups recognized in this study. Even so, geographic patterns of geneticvariation are apparent within this group. The 12African accessions are from three regions: westernAfrica (Nigeria, Gambia, Sierra Leone), east-central Africa (Uganda) and southern Africa (SouthAfrica, Swaziland, Lesotho, Zimbabwe). Sample populations of the two Ugandan accessions(Ug-1, Ug-2) consisted entirely of monoeciousplants devoid of detectable allozyme variation. The position of these two accessions on the PC scatterplot represents a region of low genetic variation,with drug accessions from southern Africa and Southeast Asia situated nearby. A rare allele(SKDH-A) was found in all seven southern African accessions, but in only two other acces-sions, from Nigeria and Colombia. For the African accessions, an allele (SKDH-C) that was commonlyfound in most other accessions was not detected.

The wide-leafleted drug accessions from Afghanistan and Pakistan (Af-1 thru Af-10, Pk-1)cluster with the other accessions assigned to the indica gene pool. Allele HK-B was found in nineof the 11 wide-leafleted drug accessions, and in a fewhemp accessions from China and South Korea, butnot in any of the narrow-leafleted drug accession or feral indica accessions. HK-B is common in the sativa gene pool, being found in 60 of the 89 acces-sions assigned to that group. However, severalother alleles that are common in the sativa genepool (ACN1-F, LAP1-B, 6PGD2-A, PGM-B,TPI1-A, UNK-C) were rare or undetected in the wide-leafleted drug accession"

Roms

Veteran
Genetic Evidence for Speciation in Cannabis (Cannabaceae)

https://www.researchgate.net/public...idence_for_Speciation_in_Cannabis_Cannabaceae
(...)

A rare allele(SKDH-A) was found in all seven southern African accessions, but in only two other acces-sions, from Nigeria and Colombia.

(...)

This rare allele evidence is related to the adaptation of past dry climatic conditions in South Africa from what i could read elsewhere. To find human traces we still have the Khoisan culture extinction in Namibia peace!

For the African accessions, an allele (SKDH-C) that was commonlyfound in most other accessions was not detected.
Strange allele absence! I can't find the exact SKDH-C aftermath things...? Maybe related to the maritime adaptation?

Vibes Water-
:smoke:

W

Water-

This rare allele evidence is related to the adaptation of past dry climatic conditions in South Africa from what i could read elsewhere. To find human traces we still have the Khoisan culture extinction in Namibia peace!

Strange allele absence! I can't find the exact SKDH-C aftermath things...? Maybe related to the maritime adaptation?

Vibes Water-
:smoke:

Interesting.
Yes there is alot left to be discovered.

If you ever find the link to where it describes the African Alleles being an adaption to dry climate I would love to read it.

peace:tiphat:

T

Teddybrae

I think God made Cannabis. Just after he'd done with the great flood. What an artist!

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So far Al Gore has not claimed he invented it, might be coming any day now though.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Seriously tho,,, do we all believe there was a flood?

What about the pyramids possibly almost being submerged under water as the desert belt moved?