What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

the Hand Watering coco thread

707Corridor

Great Thread...I love hand watering as it helps me clam down and I find that part of my day very very relaxing...

I use Canna A+B and love the results...i also use thier rhizio and cannazyme. I usually just water once a day...with some 10 to 20 percent runoff...

Check out mr Scrog grow with six plants hand watered.

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Same here, I feed every day, sometimes twice a day. It has been said before, but the important part is to feed enough nutrient solution to cause run to waste, about 20% run off.

One thing that can hamper your coco grow (if using mineral-based nutrients) is salt build-ups. Salt build-ups are generally caused by highly concentrated nutrient solutions, and a medium allowed to dry out. As the (coco) medium dries out (plus the fact that the solution is too concentrated, and the plants absorb more water than nutirent salts), left over mineral salts 'burn' the roots and cause overfert symptomes.
The best way to flush out salt build-ups is not with clear water, but applying a weak solution of mineral-based nutrients (the salts dissolve eaiser that way). Reason therefore tells us that systematically flushing your coco medium (run to waste) with nutrient solution not only helps preventing salt-build ups, but it keeps the nutrient salt concentration at aceptable levels and prevent overfert symptomes.

Always water abundantly and excessively in coco. Your plants will thank you for it.

B

bonecarver_OG

Rosy Cheeks said:
Always water abundantly and excessively in coco. Your plants will thank you for it.

the best advice for any coco handwaterer :D

also,
when u put up the strength of the nute concentration it is even more important than ever to water in excess - and i think its also a good idea to for example swap from the phosforous acid during the time you give ur plants PK and use nitric acid instead.

:D peace all

yts farmer

Veteran
how long do you guys flush your pots of coco before harvest?

i have a bud rot problem at the moment so have to harvest early.

B

bonecarver_OG

i try to flush around 1 week - to 2 weeks.

but with bud-rot - i dont know really if u got time for that

G

Hey boney, is this a private conversation or can anyone chime in, lol.

I finally got that recirc drip system going in a 3X6 tray with a 30 gal res. I know this is the hand watering thread but since I do use my hands to refill the res, I was thinking maybe I could get in on a technicality.

Anyway bro. Told you I was starting another grow in coco. Well the girsl are two weeks since the first hairs showed and the lights are against the ceiling. How the living hell does everybody grow small?!?!?!?

Here's what's in the tray. I tried to hatch 5 eggs each of MOD Kali Most, GN Foxtail Sativa and DJ's F-13. Towel in baggie in pan with lid method, lol - oh yeah, in warm place method, hehehe.

I ended up with:
Kali Most - 5 of 5 hatched and 3 were female.
Foxtail Sativa - 1 of 5 hatched and all were female, lol
F-13 - 3 of 5 hatched and all were female

Nice ratio of female to male of the viable seeds I'm thinking.

Anyway, didn't mean to crash the party, just wanted to let ya know things are still kickin.

Have you heard from gaiusmarius lately. I get a little worried sometimes.

Peace brother

yts farmer

Veteran
hey bc,i chopped out the infected cola and added some heating for lights out to stop the humidity going crazy and added another oscilating fan.

im gonna flush and play it by ear,im double checking plant at every flush and havent seen any more mold.

B

bonecarver_OG

u know a de-humidifier is quite cheap and u can recycle the water it collects.. if u ever feel like changing from the heater to a better option.

sounds good anyway :D peace!

yts farmer

Veteran
hey there bc i toyed with the idea of getting a dehumidifier but thought i see what i could do with just using a oil filled radiator as i had it allready.

ihave 11 plants in my area,its crowded and 8 have got alot bigger than i would of liked.
cant bend any of them over anywhere as i would be shading other plants.

using a heater at night has brought my rh down from the mid 80's down to about 57-58%.

B

bonecarver_OG

no mate - i havent heard anything from or about gaius in a while .. hope he is ok.

your not crashing any party :D ur wellcome to chime in when ever u want bro :D

peacae all!

Last edited:
G

bonecarver_OG said:
u know a de-humidifier is quite cheap and u can recycle the water it collects.. if u ever feel like changing from the heater to a better option.

sounds good anyway :D peace!

I use a dehumidifier, Whirlpool I think, the medium size... I got some of those clear 5 gal water jugs like they put on top of the coolers but these have a built in handle on the side. Back when I was using ro water, I'd have to make a trip a week to the ro water store. I haven't had to make another trip since I've had the dehumidifier. Mix what I get back from it (about 2.5-3.0 gal a day) 50/50 with tap. EC of the dehumidifier water is 0.02. Mixed 50/50 with tap water I've got an ec of 0.25. I add my nutes 5mL/gal each of Canna A+B and then I just watch the mothers grow.

Nice job with the forums boney. Have they held an election for mod yet?

Ya got my vote my friend.

Tryin to get ahold of some of the elusive "road kill skunk" - ya don't know of any beans of the original line from back in the late 60's and 70's do ya. PM me if you know of any prospects around. Been thinkin about getting some of flying dutchmen's "the pure."

Know anything about it???

Peace

B

bonecarver_OG

the dehumidifiers are a great invention :D recycling the distilled water is a good thing :D when i get my air-condition put up - i will also use the water from that one too - since it also has a dehumidifier built in :D

Water is a resource that is getting more and more scarce and expensive to produce. :D specially like where we live - where its pretty much a desert :D

the 50/50 mix of distilled water and tapwater works great in areas with harder water :D

mod-what? i dont know anything bro :) but thanx

also i dont know anything about the RKS - but it definetly seems like something worth growing :D

wygram

Does anyone hand water the chunkier coco (ie Sunleaves Piece Coir)? Would a 2 gallon bag of the chunkier stuff dry out so fast that I would have to water it more than once a day?

G

wygram said:
Does anyone hand water the chunkier coco (ie Sunleaves Piece Coir)? Would a 2 gallon bag of the chunkier stuff dry out so fast that I would have to water it more than once a day?

If your atmosphere is just right, then yes.