What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Farmerlion's Greenhouse learning experiments.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Hello, I'm finally getting sunshine again. A week of overcast skies and low temperatures haven't helped me at all. Some plants are just getting pistils now. The Bangi Haze crosses and reversals with the purple nepjam aren't going to finish properly. The Blue Thai that is indica dominant will not finish either. The purple peyote I expect to be slow to flower is a full 2 weeks behind previous years.

I'm not sure what is different in this cycle. I'm looking at a heavy Lebanese and auto run next season. The amount of bud I will have for patients this year will be greatly reduced.
Have a great Memorial weekend. Peace. MedDakotabis.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Let's see how they react, sad to hear that farmerlion... but you know, Nature has her ways, hope everything develop fine!

Would supplemental lightning be a solution? No comparison with the "Master HPS", but preferable to losing them?

Shooters

Hello, I'm finally getting sunshine again. A week of overcast skies and low temperatures haven't helped me at all. Some plants are just getting pistils now. The Bangi Haze crosses and reversals with the purple nepjam aren't going to finish properly. The Blue Thai that is indica dominant will not finish either. The purple peyote I expect to be slow to flower is a full 2 weeks behind previous years.

I'm not sure what is different in this cycle. I'm looking at a heavy Lebanese and auto run next season. The amount of bud I will have for patients this year will be greatly reduced.

We are experiencing a solar minimum, which is going to effect our fall crops. I've already moved four plants indoors to finish and taken clones from others to help offset a likely cold snap this fall.

Good luck!

deepwaterdude

We are experiencing a solar minimum, which is going to effect our fall crops. I've already moved four plants indoors to finish and taken clones from others to help offset a likely cold snap this fall.

Good luck!

Yep, I'm on board with youse guys; we've got a week of cool rainy days coming, and while very grateful for the sorely needed water (and the low temps for my indoor grow), murder to my outdoor Zam in early flower. Nights in early 50s, high 40s. She'll come in under the Amare, I think.

Good luck, farmerlion, I think your hard work will still pay off! dee

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
9-1 update

9-1 update

Thank you all for the well wishes.
Nature is what it is. On the bright side. My Auto Malawi x Northern Lights was dry and ready to go into curing jars today. I ended up with 15.8 ounces or 447.77 grams.

I am very happy with my first running of auto genetics. I look forward to trying out more of Ace's offerings in the future. I did cross these f4's with two Lebanese males I had. I will have a few f1's in next seasons rotation.

I hope you all have a great Memorial weekend and holiday.
Peace MedDakotabis :tiphat:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
:yummy:

Been thinking in your situation... maybe implement moving lights? (investment)

Thought also on the possibility of building vertical SIL "Towers" that you could place between the plants... a 264W "tower" (24x 11-15W bulbs) will radiate 360 horizontally, can be built for around $100-$120 each. Yield won't be the same, but at least the girls will finish. Let me know if you want me to come up with an easy and cheap to build design...

Ouf... my heart would broke if I'd be losing my tendered and loved plants like that...

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
9-2 updates

9-2 updates

Hello my friends.
This is the reason this thread is called learning experiments. Last season I had genetics that I knew wouldn't finish. Even though some genetics have a 9 or 10 week flowering cycle. Doesn't mean that cycle will start on our time line or wishes. I have been using heavy amounts of Leonardite Source Plus. I will have to run the same genetics without this supplement to see if it has effected the flowering onset in any way. While it didn't seem to effect the auto or semi auto genetics.
Here is some pictures of the greenhouse this week.

Center door shot.

Lebanese x Erdpurt

Lebanese #2

Lebanese #1

My Original Glue and a smaller Crazy horse outside.
I hope you all are having a great Memorial Weekend Holiday.
A special thank you to all veterans who have served their countries to liberate the oppressed. Peace MedDakotabis

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Wow! They look impressive and way ahead of mine! How do you see them in terms of finishing?

What have been those heavy amounts of leonardite? How regular? I only see amazing plants way ahead of mine, and mine is 4 weeks from finishing...

:yes: for the Vets!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Bummer about the flower set timing.
Maybe a light dep will be in order for next years crop for longer/late flowering varieties.

Interesting comment about the solar min as well. I wonder how that affects OD crops in general?

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
9-7 updates

9-7 updates

Hello my friends, The sun is shining more now. Not full sun power without clouds but much better than it was. My nutrients schedule is back on track again. The original Sour Diesel looks poor in general. I'm not going to make any radical feeding changes because of one plant. I had no expectations for this plant. I'm not using it for anything other than a curiosity. It actually had a stronger aroma in the early vegetative cycle than it does now in flowering.
Here is some pictures of some plants inside today.

A look in the door, with the Panama Deep Chunk in center front.

This is the Lebanese x Erdpurt. She is growing around the roof.

This one is the Lebanese #2. She had very little stretch going into flowering. She continues to gain weight at a steady pace.

The Lebanese #1 was pulled to the center a little bit to allow for some stretch. She is now into the ceiling, stretch and weight seem to be even. I think she will start putting more energy into mass now. My light cycle is changing quickly, the days are getting shorter fast. There is light trichome development on all these plants.

The Auto Malawi x Northern Lights is curing well. So far the ratio of mature seeds to immature seeds is about 10 to 2. It will take several hours to get all them separated and graded. Only the best dark and mottled seeds will be kept. I will take all that I don't keep and plant outside next spring on a day off. I'm sure many I don't select will be just fine.
Have a great weekend and happy growing.
Peace MedDakotabis :tiphat:

dugzy

A beautiful selection of ladies lion, can you pick out a favourite plant so far? I'm sure it is a hard one to answer because they are all looking great. On looks alone i love that Leb you just posted

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Repuk, The Leonardite Source Plus is a concentrated liquid form of the dry powder. I have been using 100 to 150ml. in 2 gallons of water. Stirring well and then a normal watering. I've been using this supplement about every third watering. Depending on time of the day and how early I have to get up again for work. I haven't been the most consistent with it, but regular.
I do feel it has been very beneficial over all to this season's grow. Keeping in mind that all this soil was reused from last season. After this harvest I will pull out the root balls and add a heavy feeding of fish emulsion and the Icelandic kelp grindings again.
I will let it sit over the winter and break it all up in the spring again adding more of the powdered Leonardite and ground kelp in the spring.

I will need to add more soil again to top off bags, but I will reuse the vast majority of soil again. In US. ounces, I used 1 fluid ounce of the Source Plus in 2 gallons of water. My water source all season has been lake water supplemented with rain water throughout the season. I have also used small amounts of Epson salts,1/2 tspn. in 2 gallons of water. I didn't test soil Ph levels like I should have. The Leonardite was supposed to stabilize Ph levels. Naively I took this for granted and let it ride.

If and when I get the opportunity to do this for a living. I will have every detail controlled. So much to do and so little time. Poor excuse for trying to do a quality job(I Know). But it is what it is, I don't walk on water. I have also added to my genetics library greatly in the last few months. Only one strain will go into the greenhouse next season. The rest will remain in the fridge. The AC/DC has had CBD levels like the Lebanese in the 16% range. I may do a cross with it and a Lebanese and / or the Nanda Devi I acquired.

The semi auto flowering strains from Greece, Turkey, Kumaoni and Syria I find interesting for my area. These haven't had the selection work like Ace does. Just a grab bag of maybe? A person may not find anything special at all. But I would like the experience in selecting females to cross with the Ace Lebanese.
So I got a little off topic here. None of this is written in stone either. I may and most likely will change my mind on next season's line up a couple times. I know the Auto's and Lebanese will be the vast majority of genetics.
I hope you all have a great weekend! Peace

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
DUGZY, The Lebanese are my favorite by far. Not because I've smoked any at all. Just for the medical potential and how the plant grows in my State. It may not be received well by the recreational community. Everyone wants the one hit wonder even though they can't do anything but drool on themselves. I'm all about clean, happy soaring highs. When it comes to early flowering sativas, Lebanese jumps to the top of the list. I will also be working with some of the genetics I listed in the previous post. The Kumaoni from the Nanda Devi region of Nepal and some Highland Nepalese landrace genetics I acquired will be in the rotation for sure. I also hope to aquire the Hokado genetics from Ace if available before next spring. The lesser known unique strains are the most appealing to me. I'm also going to add some of the Mazar-I-Sharif genetics to the library in the coming weeks. Preservation of genetics is as important an aspect of cannabis as it's abilities to heal in my opinion. Peace

dugzy

I like the way you think farmerlion! I don't mind a bit of drooling on myself sometimes because i know i am relaxing then but i am happiest when my mind goes in to orbit and i get new ideas and/or work gets done or just blissed out with a lighter body.

I wish we had more sunlight hours here because the plants from the traditional areas are very interesting to me too. Whatever you line up for next season i will watch with interest, your greenhouse looks great and i can see you put the work in to get such a range of plants going so well.

The Lebanese really are great and i'm sure will be very appreciated by some individuals even if the majority still want only the knock out punch.

All the best

G

Beautiful garden my friend!Wish you get more sunny dayz...

The semi auto flowering strains from Greece

Where did you find this brother?

I'm not so sure someone can aquire something like that,let alone that if it existed,it would probably be of Lebanese descent,but still very curious...

Thanks! :tiphat:

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Syd, these regions were mentioned in general and possibly historical by the original collector. I have no way to document or verify claims made by RSC. From what I've read and studied. They seem pretty straight up. If I have misunderstood or been misinformed I apologize. Peace

G

Hehe,no my brother,no need to apologise,just caught me off guard here,since all the other regions you mentioned are indeed on their site except Greece.Thanks man! :tiphat:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Repuk, The Leonardite Source Plus is a concentrated liquid form of the dry powder. I have been using 100 to 150ml. in 2 gallons of water. Stirring well and then a normal watering. I've been using this supplement about every third watering. Depending on time of the day and how early I have to get up again for work. I haven't been the most consistent with it, but regular.
I do feel it has been very beneficial over all to this season's grow. Keeping in mind that all this soil was reused from last season. After this harvest I will pull out the root balls and add a heavy feeding of fish emulsion and the Icelandic kelp grindings again.
I will let it sit over the winter and break it all up in the spring again adding more of the powdered Leonardite and ground kelp in the spring.

I will need to add more soil again to top off bags, but I will reuse the vast majority of soil again. In US. ounces, I used 1 fluid ounce of the Source Plus in 2 gallons of water. My water source all season has been lake water supplemented with rain water throughout the season. I have also used small amounts of Epson salts,1/2 tspn. in 2 gallons of water. I didn't test soil Ph levels like I should have. The Leonardite was supposed to stabilize Ph levels. Naively I took this for granted and let it ride.

If and when I get the opportunity to do this for a living. I will have every detail controlled. So much to do and so little time. Poor excuse for trying to do a quality job(I Know). But it is what it is, I don't walk on water. I have also added to my genetics library greatly in the last few months. Only one strain will go into the greenhouse next season. The rest will remain in the fridge. The AC/DC has had CBD levels like the Lebanese in the 16% range. I may do a cross with it and a Lebanese and / or the Nanda Devi I acquired.

Definitely your system worked wonders!

I think I've been driving you nuts asking for the same over and over, sorry! You know… secondary effects! :)

I haven't PH'd RO water for the latest repottings. My reasoning being if the soil is already buffered, and RO is PH neutral at 7, why introduce salts that may screw balance.

I realized I was using 100% RO last week and started adding a pinch of epsom on each watering bucket, reassuring to find you're doing that :)

I measured the soil on the Ethiopian, Honduras, and Panama Haze with a PH meter specific for soil:

attachment.php

All were pretty spot on at 6,6-6,8. The only one with the PH "off" is the revegged zam, but that is to be expected, as her "core" root ball is on 100% coco. PH is near 5.8-6.

Attachments

• IMG_4717rr.jpg
    IMG_4717rr.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 20