Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Why do i always get Hermies?

Thread Title Search
Why do i always get Hermies? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2018, 10:38 PM #21
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
Low pH, light leaks, large temp swings, root bound, light leaks, femmed pollen created from stressed females (ya get femmed and hermie pollen), hermie prone genetics, light leaks, pH stress. Yeah, I repeated some of the main ones. lol

Keep at it, you'll figure it out.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:45 PM #22
MrBungle

MrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud of
I have light leaks all over too... and no hermies as well, but none of the light leaks are projected right onto the plants....

I had a window adjacent to the room of my old place, that I covered but made an air intake from the window vent... the light traveled through the intake similar to how was described earlier in this thread... at any rate.. my SSH would get patches of herm spots at the old place, but not even a little bit here at the new place...

maybe synthetic light sources don't affect the plant the same way as natural sunlight might.. even in low light conditions? I dunno...

All I do know is that light leaks, and timer errors played a role in my hermie problems, when I was less experienced
MrBungle is offline Quote

Old 01-13-2018, 01:18 AM #23
Budley Doright

Budley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud of
Sometimes I say to myself in these sorts of things..... how hard would it be to prove the point about light leaks....

Take two clones from the same mom and put them in different circumstances.....

one might get hermie flowers and one might not...

Really easy experiment.....

The fact that an easy experiment would prove the point says a great deal to me.....

Wick Cloning = Cheap and effective

MMMP Patient/Caregiver

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=309503

Big Clones.....and Air Layers also a legal Michigan grow
Budley Doright is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:36 AM #24
Loc Dog

Loc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud of
I had them from just the red lights on power strips. The only color light that can be used during dark period is green.
Loc Dog is offline Quote

Old 01-13-2018, 01:46 AM #25
soil margin

soil margin is a glorious beacon of lightsoil margin is a glorious beacon of lightsoil margin is a glorious beacon of lightsoil margin is a glorious beacon of lightsoil margin is a glorious beacon of lightsoil margin is a glorious beacon of lightsoil margin is a glorious beacon of lightsoil margin is a glorious beacon of lightsoil margin is a glorious beacon of lightsoil margin is a glorious beacon of lightsoil margin is a glorious beacon of light
As others have mentioned I'd say 1. Genetics, 2. Light, 3. Stress. Those have always been most likely for me, in that order.
soil margin is offline Quote

Old 01-13-2018, 03:07 PM #26
Irael

Irael has a spectacular aura aboutIrael has a spectacular aura aboutIrael has a spectacular aura aboutIrael has a spectacular aura about
Hey Guys, thanks for this amazing feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdantGreen View Post
pollen does not cause hermies, dirt doesnt cause hermies.

as said, check for light leaks, and double checl your light cycle, make sure it goes off and on when you think it is, make sure lights arent coming on during dark cycle.

get some clones or stable genetics that you know are unlikely to hermie.

VG
@VerdantGreen: I know that dirt cannot cause hermies, but i just wanted to point out how good i cleaned my growroom because the last run hermies as well. Otherwise i would not have cleaned it this well

But Pollen cannot cause Hermies is new to me?
So when the pistils of a female come in contact with male pollen they will not become a hermaphrodite, but pure male or what? (i´m not this well informed about Pollination^^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
Low pH, light leaks, large temp swings, root bound, light leaks, femmed pollen created from stressed females (ya get femmed and hermie pollen), hermie prone genetics, light leaks, pH stress. Yeah, I repeated some of the main ones. lol
Keep at it, you'll figure it out.
Ok now i am a bit confused, there is a difference between "femmed Pollen" and "hermie pollen"? Can you tell me some more about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammie View Post
hey Irael, that sucks. light leaks, poor genetics, environmental issues are the main cause. go into your grow room 1hour after lights out and 4-5 hrs into lights out to check for light leaks. you must check 2-3 times during lights out to exclude light as issue. you can try dutchmasters "reverse" or "optic" but i'd use them soon.
I also heard about that Reverse stuff, but does it really work? Can it really turn a hermie into a pure female back again? I think i also read somewhere that Dutch Masters went out of business so the "Reverse" product does not exist anymore. Alternatives are Optic Foliar "Switch" but i never used both of the products.

Let´s also dicsuss everything you have suggested me in your answers:

1)Bad Genetics:
I do not think that genetics are the real problem on this hermie-thing, i work with clones since years.
The clones come from the most trusted clone shop here in my country which sells millions of clones a year with a nice strain selection and clean plants.
Many of my friends and friends of them also buy their genetics since years from there and never had issues with hermies, not even on the same Strains that hermied on me.

2) Checking Light Cycle:

As i said before i bought myself a new Timer for the lightning cycle before starting this grow. The lights go out at 11pm at Night and then again on at 11 am. Everytime i checked at that times, the light went out or on excatly as the timer has been set.

3) The good old Light Leaks: I was thinking about this topic a long time too before i started this grow..My box stands in a small room with one window in it. The window is covered with 3 layers of curtains so pretty much no light come trough.
Then before the Box there stands a large storage box which should hide the box a bit, so this huge storage box also makes it even darker in front of the growbox. And then the plants stand in the growtent..so the Plants got curtains, a dark room, the backside of the storage box and the Grow Tent Walls between them and a light source (window).
I also cannot see my hand before my eyes when i stand in the room and the lights are out. Not even after closing my eyes for a minute.

I got some pictures for you so you can imagine my room better:

First is the covered window, second the Grow Tent behind the Storage Box and last one a picture with light out.

I really like where this discussion is heading to, i think we can figure out the problem soon!

Greetz
Irael is offline Quote

Old 01-13-2018, 03:26 PM #27
Ready4

Ready4 is a name known to allReady4 is a name known to allReady4 is a name known to allReady4 is a name known to allReady4 is a name known to allReady4 is a name known to allReady4 is a name known to allReady4 is a name known to allReady4 is a name known to allReady4 is a name known to allReady4 is a name known to all
I have read for years how people blame "light leaks" for hermies/seeds. I now think it is total nonsense as I have had some careless light leaking for years with no/few problems.
I have a strain that would get a few seeds, I had figured it was probably "light leaks" from power bars, etc. But I noticed the same plant was very sensitive to being rootbound, replanting in larger pots was beneficial. As a test, I took the same strain and put it in a much larger pot to flower & gave it a few intentional light leaks. No seeds at all in that test. I reasoned that the rootbound plant was causing the small seed/hermie due to the same cut, which a good friend runs outdoor, gets no seeds at all - and he has a security light nearby which casts some light at night over that plant.
I really believe the long veg times, in relatively small pots, for scrog or otherwise, gets plants rootbound, causing stress which produces male flowers.
Some will disagree, but try a plant that has some hermie problems, in a larger pot, and test it.
No way should somebody like the OP run 3 sets of seeds and have these problems, something is causing stress that creates the flowers. Many strains love their root space.
Ready4 is offline Quote

Old 01-13-2018, 03:48 PM #28
ganjygav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready4 View Post
I have read for years how people blame "light leaks" for hermies/seeds. I now think it is total nonsense as I have had some careless light leaking for years with no/few problems.
I have a strain that would get a few seeds, I had figured it was probably "light leaks" from power bars, etc. But I noticed the same plant was very sensitive to being rootbound, replanting in larger pots was beneficial. As a test, I took the same strain and put it in a much larger pot to flower & gave it a few intentional light leaks. No seeds at all in that test. I reasoned that the rootbound plant was causing the small seed/hermie due to the same cut, which a good friend runs outdoor, gets no seeds at all - and he has a security light nearby which casts some light at night over that plant.
I really believe the long veg times, in relatively small pots, for scrog or otherwise, gets plants rootbound, causing stress which produces male flowers.
Some will disagree, but try a plant that has some hermie problems, in a larger pot, and test it.
No way should somebody like the OP run 3 sets of seeds and have these problems, something is causing stress that creates the flowers. Many strains love their root space.
I too disagree with it being light leaks. I've grown plants in my backyard, my backyard has a bright white L.E.D street light just on other side of fence.
Our garden and one of the next door neighbours have security lights which get set off everytime a cat goes through our backyards.

Then without that you have moonlight and stars.
Ive never had hermies outdoors.
Also I grow in the same 10litr pots as I do indoors but they're in them for a longer period of time.
So I also disagree with pot size having any correlation with hermies. Go speak the guys who grow plants in the yogurt cup competition on this site.
See how many hermies they get.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:54 PM #29
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud of
That doesn't leave much, other than genetics.
Ringodoggie is online now Quote

Old 01-13-2018, 03:58 PM #30
Wendull C.

Wendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud of
I can tell you personally light leaks cause hermies on unstable or poly hybrid genetics. True females may never produce male flowers under stress, but some genetics do it w regularity when treared to a nice dose of stress.
Wendull C. is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.