Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Soil SIP vs Earthbox

Thread Title Search
Soil SIP vs Earthbox Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2018, 10:10 PM #31
Cannavore

Cannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxyTaxi View Post
alans video was dope, he seems to know his shit.

any good links to how sips are setup on the mag?

also how does one flush in an earthbox system?
theyre pretty straight forward to get started.

pack your soil (or straight coco which im experimenting with on some boxes) tightly into those two cutouts. those squares are where your water will be wicked up from the rez.

then i take handfuls of my medium and somewhat gently place it on top without making a ton of it fall into the rez (some will fall down, you can't help it). fill it up with your plant(s) in. some people make a lime layer but i havent added one to any of the boxes ive made so far.
i then do a bit of top watering to get everything settled, wait 20min or so for the top watering to take affect and drip into the rez if necessary, then top the rez off til runoff. you shouldn't need to top water your box again. do it only when setting it up the first time.
then i lay some grokashi down and put the cover on. after 24hrs or so you should have a mycelial layer forming. that's when I make a slurry from plain water and earthworm castings and apply it right on top of the mycelial layer similar to how Alan Adkisson does it in that video to mimic cow patties and animal droppings.

it might take a couple days to a week for the box to become alive, but once it's at peak performance it's pretty much auto pilot the rest of the way lol.
if they need food, topdress or foliar. i dont put anything but pure water or water with em1 in the rez.
and flushing isn't really necessary either. earthboxes mimic the way a plant would grow in nature, and nature doesn't flush

hope this helps. i'm still a noob so there's probably a lot i'm still just learning about SIP.
Cannavore is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:21 PM #32
Cannavore

Cannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond repute
under the hood pics

keep making fresh layers on top lasagna tech style. your roots will thank you

you can see where the ewc slurry meets the normal dirt

freshly applied slurry

yummy

experimenting with some dutch white clover around the areas where i cut into the cover to stick the plant through
Cannavore is online now Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:04 AM #33
moonymonkey

moonymonkey has a spectacular aura aboutmoonymonkey has a spectacular aura aboutmoonymonkey has a spectacular aura aboutmoonymonkey has a spectacular aura aboutmoonymonkey has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up

canvasser,sweet bro. that why i all ways want to know what others are doing,more then one way to does it, id like to definitely wud like to try some of those tips,liking the organic set up!...keep up the tips++i like thick stalks and large buds...thnx man+ peace the moon/
moonymonkey is offline Quote

Old 01-09-2018, 01:19 AM #34
moonymonkey

moonymonkey has a spectacular aura aboutmoonymonkey has a spectacular aura aboutmoonymonkey has a spectacular aura aboutmoonymonkey has a spectacular aura aboutmoonymonkey has a spectacular aura about
Question

how long do you grow plant in there? and what else besides worm castings are you using to feed the plant? nice pics++

Old 01-09-2018, 01:30 AM #35
moonymonkey

I'm thinking about modifying your method to my enviorment and using my watering methods dam i hope i can pull it off..thnx again for the great idea! peace mm/

Old 01-09-2018, 11:40 PM #36
iBogart

iBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really nice
Nature does flush. It's called rain.
iBogart is offline Quote

Old 01-20-2018, 05:46 AM #37
Sarcclash

Sarcclash is on a distinguished road
Damn Cannavore! Amazing technique! Gonna have to look at your links.
If I tried that in my present environs, fungus gnats would demolish it. I've had to cease using mychorrizae entirely. Already did a neem drench as preventative, plants are at two weeks from seed pop.
At any rate that soil bench needs about an inch of airspace below it to the res for this style pot to be truly functional. Hopefully there is at least one drain in the side that ensures this.
With the addition of a float and tubing any sip can be watered indefinitely, how anyone can keep away from their plants for extended periods is beyond me, maybe useful in a guerilla grow. SIP's should never flood.
If there aren't any I'd suggest trying it at least in one pot, don't make the hole any larger that a wine cork say, or any size handy plug diameter.
Can't use this style in my micro grow, too much height reduction penalty. Plus strong odors from the res.
I'm going with attached 32oz square h2o2 bottles taped together (ez on ez off) one with the top trimmed off and holes in the bottom filled with a soilless mix of my own. The other is the res untopped with a wick that waters below mid line height of the soil pot. I'll try and post pics soon to the micro grow section and link back here.
This grow has to be pure organic, I haven't had a successful indoor, full organic grow yet. But I think I'm on to something here.
Comments?
Sarcclash is offline Quote

Old 01-20-2018, 03:41 PM #38
WaxyTaxi
Psychonaut

WaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivor
those are some gorgeous pics canna, nice writeup, how can ya tell when the rez is topped off?

wonder how one of these would compare yield wise to promix in a 10gl cloth pot.
WaxyTaxi is offline Quote