What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mount Zion 2017

MountZionCollec

As long as my county doesn't ban it I will be growing in my permitted 9000 square feet of mixed light/outdoor in the high hills of Calaveras.

I will be growing 200 plants from mothers collected this year and 250 females from seeds germinated this upcoming Spring.

Mothers

Schnazzleberry #2 clone #2 best mother of 7 females. 50 plants, most pm resistant Schnazz clearly +overall amazing plant. Smells: fermented citrus fruits, grapefruit, mandarin orange peels, orange, pinesol, cedar/wood, faint leather, pungent funky deep smell overall, maybe some lavender. Very potent, warm euphoric-loopy hazey body-deep narcotic stone, very enjoyable. Harvest October 3rd.
Schnazzleberry #2 clone #3: 2 plants (may be culled for pm).

Dolce sativa clone #5, best female out of 14: 36. Fat dense nugs. Good yield, pm resistant, nice smells (pine, citrus, funky). It's a clean up high with a nice numb body, slightly dense zony high but not too much. Potent sativa ready October 13th. Most pm resistant of the Dolce, one of the most vigorous and healthy, one of highest yielding with a very nice quality overall very amazing plant.

Sweet Jack clone #3, best of 7 females. 16 plants. Ended up being only one very resistant to pm, not the smelliest of the bunch but nice smells of sweet-pine-Funky with a background of fruitiness. Effect starts off as energetic upbeat sativa but then settles out into a stone that leaves one needing a nap, kinda like a roller coaster up them down. Yield is average.

Bubba kush*jack clone #1, best of 5 females. 25 plants. Yielded 3+ pounds on a 5' tall/wide plant rock hard buds of nice quality. I don't like the Terpene effect but others do, smells: spicy, peppery, musky, fruity. Musky spicy berries. Hybrid high. Most pm resistant pheno, as well as highest quality and highest yielding. Slow in veg.

BC sweet Kush clone #7, best of 8 females. culled for pm spots on mother. Clean sweet Kush smell. One of most oily plants in garden.

Jack pine clone #3, best of 7 females. 16 plants, also one of the most oily plants. Smel: sweet-pine-skunk. Strong and zony, head pressure almost like a headache, not euphoric, body numbing stone.

Mixed hazed: All phenos culled for quality, bud structures. Also cuttings looked pretty beat up.

Destroyer clone #18, best of 19 females. 3 plants: very strong smell, similar to Panama. 50% citrus (lemon, lime, Orange, mango, tropical fruit), 25% incense, %15 dill/herbs, 10% leather. Harvest first week of November, extremely dense buds for a pure sativa. Most pm resistant pheno, densent nugs, best smells, best smoke.

Panama clone #1 and #10 #14: 8 plants total: smell: lemon head candy, sweet lemon, lemongrass, orange peel, dill, fresh grass, lots of incense, cleaning soap, leather, green tea, lime pine, pinesol, lemon cleaner. My two phenos had the most citrus smells, followed by incense, like 70% citrus, 20% incense and 10% earthy smells. The other smells were faint in my two mothers and more prevelant in the mothers I didn't keep. The citrus-lemony phenos as the main smell with incense as the second main smell with only a faint background of the other earth smells are my favorite. Harvest end of October/early November.

Panama pheno 14 just rooted and has been transplanted so mite have this pheno as well. Most earthy smelling pheno. Floral/rose smell, herbs and spices, pine, incense, then tropical fruits-mango-citrus when ground up. 50:50 hazy in the head and hazey in the body, makes for a disembodied feeling. Earliest flowering, most dense nugs, lots of resin.

From seed:

Schnazzleberry #2 (Dom*blueberry) may not be able to source.
Schnazzleberry #4 (The Dom*blockhead) 100 seeds

Cannabiogen
Panama: 80 regular
Panama *deep chunk ~100 seeds -30 feminized and 40 regular
Destroyer reg -5

Skunkman cultivators choice
Sleestack*skunk #1 (the Resinator) 100
Haze #5*(haze*skunk)-60
Pot of gold*hindu Kush 100 fem

I am putting in a greenhouse that will be well insulated and heated with lights to keep the mothers at 18 hours a day. I will throw a covering over to keep the lights from shining on the sky. I will also have a small indoor under light to root out the cuttings. In the fall when I take cuttings on all the pm resistant healthy females I will keep two females of each in roughly 6" wide pots but very deep, 1' or more, in the greenhouse. I'm expecting 150-200 mothers to choose but depends on pm resistance.

This spring I will grow mothers in 5 gallon airport to get 200 clones.

Last edited:

calaveras

Hey neighbor, You should be able to get in the 2017 season before a possible shutdown by county supervisors. Growers paid their fee for one year last starting last May. Your variety selection is very interesting. A couple of varieties that worked last year up here. Rare dankness's rare darkness, a grape cross with big yield. Bodhi's snow leopard is the resin king especially the more indica phenotype and some Bodhi freebies exodus cheese X snow lotus has got the stank. No problems with mold even with a wet october. I am going to try and roundup some schnazz seeds for 2017. We appreciate your reports and the good information.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
gimme a seat up front! really enjoyed last years thread and hope you have good luck.

what plans do you have for your soil this year?

MountZionCollec

Lots of edits to first post.

I'm leaning towards a 300 square foot fully climate controlled greenhouse with stung light bulbs to keep them in vegetation. In there I could keep two mothers on 250 Mums and two fathers on 100 Of the best males and have walking room. I will keep the best males that come up, but will only end up keeping the males that are pm resistant, same as with the mothers (easily found in my unhygienic and unforgiving treatment of them+zero pesticides and minimal nutrients).

Pic 1-rooting cuttings.
Pic 2- mothers vegging so I can take more cuttings. I wanna keep 4 mothers of my current stock so I don't lose any.

Pic 3-my 2 livestock guardian dogs sleeping above the chickens, solar panels just behind them is how we get most of our energy. By 2018 it'll be all our energy.

MountZionCollec

As I'm planning out my seeds for next year I am leaning more towards less strains and more numbers of them to ensure I find many perfect mothers. Having only 10 females to choose from is JUST enough to guarantee a winner in most departments, oily high resin yields-stinky-reasonable yield-mite and mold resistance, healthy overall plant good at up taking nutrients and isn't too nutrient sensitive....so for every 10 females I expect to find 1 Winner, On average. So if If I want a Mrs perfect and if I want to have a good selection to choose based on terpene ratios I need 20 minimum females of each strain so that I have more then 1 perfect mother.

Last edited:

MountZionCollec

Whats your plan for your moms you find?

I'll be running them commercially in 2018. Competing them against each other looking for the best to keep. I'll keep multiple of each strain of there perfect.

I'll also be passing them around to local farmers.

Eventually I would like to have a full spectrum of mothers from ultra indicas to ultra sativas all good for commercial production. Once prices drop beneath $500 a pound and they allow people to expand (5-7years away my guess) I'll expand to An acre and will run about 2000 plants outdoors so I need plants that can be grown in a commercial environment and still not get mold or attacked by bugs. Once the state starts mold and pesticide testing in a couple years I'll have strains that can easily pass. I also want to find the best because I only want to smoke the best!

I will keep them indefinitely to ensure my favorite genetics are kept alive and passed on to the next generation. So much has been lost. I'm keeping males for that reason, only keep the toughest. Eventually maybe make seed just to keep lines alive and to look for stuff for myself? I'm also saving the best fruit bearing trees of all types! I want to save the best of everything I can! So much is available now that most likely won't be available in the future.

Eventually far down the line may turn it into a farm cooperative sort of arrangement. Once the prices really drop and the quality starts increasing plus mold and pesticide tests rejecting people I'll have farm model that will be able to compete very well and comfortably to $400 a pound and if need be lower, all the while hand trimming tops and trimpaling + hand cleanup of smalls and middle nugs on an organic and well processed product. So we may add more farmers and farms to the mix and provide them with the strains to grow, how to grow and process them as well as doing the sales for them which will be almost impossible in a few years for smaller/middle sized growers with the distributors and all the brand names.

All just possibilities. My main goal is finding the best commercial product to provide for my patients and to save for the next generation.

Last edited:
I appreciate your perspective on all that thanks for your reply. I've heard of packs going for that low this year! I can't imagine what they looked like tho.

MountZionCollec

I appreciate your perspective on all that thanks for your reply. I've heard of packs going for that low this year! I can't imagine what they looked like tho.

Lol ya during the Washington state price crisis of 2015 I think bulk outdoor was going for under $500 during the flood. I think the price would have kept dropping quicker in California if not for regulations and the heavy government intervention that is now happening on the market so I believe this will slow down the price collapse that is occuring. Once the mold and pesticide tests kick in that is estimated to reject at least 50% of the supply. They did a test in San Fran on nugs comparing them to the Oregon standards and close to 80% of the cannabis products tested would be Rejected and not allowed to be sold just on pesticide criteria, they didn't test for mold probably would have rejected closer to 90%. . That will slow the price drop. I think prices could DEF get that low before my 5 year prediction but I don't expect it'll get to $400 for average outdoor, if so most of the market will be knocked out at those prices.

MountZionCollec

I've changed the plant numbers and made the changes to my first post to keep it updated. I was going to do 450 females but I'm leaning to 400 now spaced at 4' per female. Regular seeds will be planted at 2' spacing since they won't be sexed by the time of transplant and feminized will be planted at 4' spacing.

I'm doing 150 clones from last years mothers and 250 from seed. I will keep a solid 20 males from each regular and whittle it down to the pm resistant. Looking to keep 3-10 males per strain and 10-20 females. I want as many to choose from in the offseason as possible to guarantee I find multiple Ms perfects to run commercially in 2018.

MountZionCollec

Ok So after a winter of hibernation I will begin posting as I go along.

Soil testing by Logans labs, analysis and recommendations for soil done by Michael Astera with soilmineralsDOTcom.

everything grown in ground in rows spaced 5-6' apart. Spacing of cannabis plants is currently planned at 6', giving us ~250+ females. 2/3rds seeds from Skunkman and Chimera, most of which are regular and will be planted at half distance, 1/3 mothers chosen last year that are winners in many categories.

I have been preparing my Perennial food garden for the past month. We have 50 of 60 fruit trees planted, 9/50 blackberries/rasberries, 10/18 grapes, 2/2 currants, 2/2 edible roses.

i have done extensive research to choose the plants with the latest bloom time and hardiest for cold that I could find. any loser i find I will tear out and I will order another experiment. My goal is to collect every berry available to grow at my location, will end up collecting at least 100+ grape types, 100+ blackberries and rasberries, 100+ fruit trees of every type available to grow at my location, plus lots of other edible and medicinal plants.

MountZionCollec

varieties

figs
chicago hardy, excel, Cordi stella, Violet de Bordeaux, Nordland, lattarula italian honey

Edible rosehips-Darts dash, Rosa Rugosa Alba

European Plums/Prunes-Imperial Epineuse, D'agen French, mount royal, stanely, French improved, italian, bavay green gage.

Asian plums-Emerald Beaut, Candyheart Pluerry=hybrid with Cherry.

currant-black consort, red wilder

nectarine-Harko, arctic blaze, Lizs late, independence, hardired, arctic queen, mericrest, heavenly white.

pear-bosc, warren, bartlett, blakes pride, potomac, comice, D'anjou, Seckel, onward, harrow delight, atlantic queen

Mullberry-Pakistan, Persian, black beauty, illinois ever bearing, oscar, wellington, El Dorado, Silk hope, kokusa, Sweet lavender, Noir De Spain.

Apple-Golden Russet, Ashmead Kearnel, spitzenburg, hudsons golden Gem, Arkansas black.

Peach-indan free, Indian blood, White lady.

grapes-Agria, interlaken, canadice, reliance, jupiter, suffolk, glenora, lakemont, concord, monukka, summer muscat, perlette, flame, thompson, blueberry, himrod, globe, ruby.

maple sugar trees, siberian pea shrubs for chicken food.

blackberries-black diamond, cascade, onxy, navaho, sweetie pie, Triple crown, lochness, arapaho, osage, chester, natchez, apache, dewberry, black satin, darrow, Tupi, Von, Prime Ark-freedom, prime ark traveler, prime ark-45. a few more I havent added to my notes yet so dont have name.

blackberry rasberry hybrids-boysenberry, marionberry, loganberry

rasberry-caroline, cascade gold, meeker, polka, rosanna, tulameen, jewel black, autumn britten, dorman, latham, prelude, heritage, anne yellow, mac black, cumberland black, glencoe purple, ukee, encore, bristol black, joan j, georgia, amber yellow, purple royalty, double gold, niwot black.

MountZionCollec

I will be adding on to the drying room area this year. I will be adding in a 40' refrigerator shipping container to add to my 20' normal shipping container.

Both will have evaporative coolers for keeping the Temperatures on my trying room below 72 degrees, ans the humidity above 40% RH.....and both will have propane wall mounted heaters to keep the temps above 64 degrees and the RH below 65%.

I will be making the shift over to nitrogen sealing this year. Not sure which type yet. I wish they had tin cans to seal in that could fit 1/2 pound to 1 pound in each Can sealed with Nitrogen. That's my longterm goal for sealing for wholesale.

budchopper

what`s your distance above sea level? can you grow persimmons? and how about a special seed sorting/storage area? you must be having a good time juggling all your activities.

Latest posts

Latest posts