What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nutrients and Additives (UK)

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
maybe i could be a little bolder with the Silicon-

General Hydroponics ~Ripen
i've been banging on about this for years. It's fantastic-i won't grow without it. It is sold as a forcing solution-to make the plants finish more quickly than they normally would. But it doesn't do that. What is does is, if applied say week 6 or 7 (on an 8weeker), is initiate a further burst of flowering-and a bottom up yellowing of the plant.
So a bright crown of white pistils will appear on the top of bulbous ripe finished buds-which can look striking under halides.

It is a pkboost-0/5/6 i think-but there is something else in it (hormone/growth regulator) because no other simple pkboost produces this effect. The instructions say to run it until the chop @ ec 1.8 but IME it is best to run it at whatever ec you were giving them prior to using the Ripen.
In hydro you can see the effect within 24h ~ how many other additives will do that (in a good way)~in coir it takes 2-3days to see it. I run it up to the chop and it leaves no aftertaste-in fact it think it may help in that area.

otherwise the main reason that i use it is that when i do the plants produce more bud-

cheers guys
eddieS

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
for that money id want it in a platinum bottle with beyonces knockers on the front ha

yeah for sure. it is in a nice aluminium bottle :D, and you only use 1-2ml in 2 gallons of water. but still the price tag shocked me for a 300ml bottle. im just not used to adding stuff so i keep forgetting to use it!

theherbalizor

Veteran
Not tried the ferro nute range.

I have just today, however, sent off my water to Hydrotops to be analysed for a tailored feed for me to test.

After experiencing the raw power of FFF and Bactivator once again and seeing stuppas run with it (amazing as always) I must give it a whirl.

It could be quite advantageous for me as my base EC comes out around 0.6.... And I use H&G feed which is meant for RO. So in theory I am probably hitting my babes up with too much macro and micro nutes.

Must get an RO unit so I can proper flush them..... not that I can complain about my tap waters flushing ability.

R

rocky5

i use flairform green dream part 1 grow and bloom and i have
just used the bud storm this round.
i havnt used many other nutes other than growth technology.

http://www.flairform.com/Products/greendream.htm

how do you guys rate fairform?
i also use growth tech silicon in all my grows, i usually just use
it for ph up and add a half dose now and again as i find too much
casn make the stems crunchy/ brittle if you try to bend them and
they can snap right off.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Anybody tried any of Ferro nutrients range out? There Root stim is used @ lower dilution rate than H&G root excelurator. £25 1L bottle of Ferro Bio Roots will used @ 50ml per 100L = 2000L. A £25 250ml bottle of H&G root excelurator used @30ml per 100L gives 833L.

It's said to contain heteroauxins used by plant to produce roots and flowers, also stops ethylene production by the plant, plus soy oil and another oil which I forget the name of as a type of wetting agent allowing nutes to be absorbed easier by roots? I think that what their website is trying to say have a butchers for yourselves...

http://www.ferro.nu/en/products/enhancer/2

Dilution ratio is spot on, if it does what it says on the tin... Any info on those auxins mentioned funky?

They also do nutrients regional nutes based on various regions water quality. As well as analysis your water quality if your game to send em a sample then they will tailor a nute based on what your water has in it.

My local [pukka] growshop was offering the Ferro tailor made service a few years ago, nearly went for it as I have funny high pH well water, but when I asked them again I was told the Ferro gave all the bud a dodgy taste, that it was "a flower nutrient for the professional horticultural/glasshouse market" ... not developed for smokeable crops, hence the dodgy taste issue Ferro were presumably unaware of.

Interesting hearing Hydrotops is back in business, didnt the guy go a bit mad and had loads of people after him after pulling some dodgy strokes ? Great nutes though, also his Bactivator and FFF bacteria products, still got a pot of the FFF, waiting till I find someone who can breed it into some more.

funkymonkey

i've been banging on about this for years. It's fantastic-i won't grow without it. It is sold as a forcing solution-to make the plants finish more quickly than they normally would. But it doesn't do that. What is does is, if applied say week 6 or 7 (on an 8weeker), is initiate a further burst of flowering-and a bottom up yellowing of the plant.
So a bright crown of white pistils will appear on the top of bulbous ripe finished buds-which can look striking under halides.

It is a pkboost-0/5/6 i think-but there is something else in it (hormone/growth regulator) because no other simple pkboost produces this effect. The instructions say to run it until the chop @ ec 1.8 but IME it is best to run it at whatever ec you were giving them prior to using the Ripen.
In hydro you can see the effect within 24h ~ how many other additives will do that (in a good way)~in coir it takes 2-3days to see it. I run it up to the chop and it leaves no aftertaste-in fact it think it may help in that area.

otherwise the main reason that i use it is that when i do the plants produce more bud-

cheers guys
eddieS

Very interesting, I've always wondered about Ripen, it's not sold in the US, only in the EU so I was dubious about it, but after reading that recommendation I think I'll have to give it a try. I have 5 Mexican clones at 30 days of flowering so it would be good to try the Ripen on one while flushing the others in my usual way and seeing the difference.

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
Do give it a whirl, FM. It is not expensive (£7-8/L) -one of the best value 'boosters' on the market.
I have read some accounts of people using H&GShooting Powder and it sounds like it has a similar effect. I have some but haven't got around to using it on indoor plants yet-

anybody else using it?
cheers
eddieS

funkymonkey

I need to buy some spider mite killer so I'll pick up some Ripen too, it's 4.50 for 500ml or 8 quid for a litre, as I said, I have the ideal clones already in full flower to try the Ripen on, I'll given two of them Ripen for the last two weeks and two others will get molasses for the penultimate week then water for the last week as I usually do.

Scrogerman

Veteran

cheers guys
eddieS

I havent seen what you have with it bro, ive used it for years too but ive never seen it produce flushes of new growth, Ever, & believe me it does do what its supposed to bro, but im sure it helps Bud to swell as they Ripen, i see pistils receading & Calyx swellin within days, its very fast acting!! I never see new growth with it. Just more Swell & trichs & im sure it enhances flavour too.
Its a great product without doubt but care needs to be taken when using the stuff. Ive seen it produce Nanners on many occasions, makes sense as it is a stress causing agent! hence the ripening effects, ive even considered using it as a stressing agent for selfing moms, i wonder if that would work?. I advise people to use it for short periods of up to a maximum of 10 days as to reduce the possibility of nanners & never use at full strength. Ive noticed it does improve essential oil production but i've also had a sulpher taste if it isnt flushed properly afterwards im sure.(NFT & DWC)
An underated & overlooked product imo, is there anything else like it on the market? i dont think there is, ive never seen one. I'll always have a bottle on hand, very usefull stuff!.

G'Luck!

btw, as far as i know GHRipen is not considered a PK booster, more of a forcer/finisher! I cant remember the name of the active ingredient that makes it do what it does, bugger i forgot(an acid of types-abscisic acid maybe?), i also like that it has zero nitrogen, better for the final push. It does make Buds finish fast ime with it & More peeps should give the stuff a try, quite right eddie!

theherbalizor

Veteran
Ripen and Topshooter or Shooting Powder are two very different products.

If anything TS and SP increase your flowering time.

Yes they do share the ability of noticeable results within a day or so. But TS works by forcing the plant to create a whole new crown of growth onto of the existing buds. Rather than forcing the plant to finish. The reason the plants yellow so quick on TS is that your introducing it at say week 6-7 and dropping the base ec down to 1.2 so N gets depleted really quickly.

Now TS and Ripen together could be an interesting combo. Perhaps use TS for a couple of weeks, then ripen for one. But I still have to do 2 weeks on plain water. Wouldn't even use flush to be honest... surely plain water is the best for flushing.?

Scrogerman

Veteran
Been looking at TS for a while but that stuff aint cheap, yeah Herb that is an interesting little concept you have there, I wonder man! get it on, i cant afford the TS or id buy it to finish off my lot with the GHR like you've sugested, Could be a winner.(Im using GHR though)

On the Flush, people always confuse a flush with a leach, they are two different things(im not saying you herb btw).
the Flush from Canna is Crap & a waste of money, its the only one ive tried so im not so sure on flush products(clearing solutions), but Vitalinks Flush sounds interesting in its spec, check that out, as i prolly will at somepoint. Its better to Leach with a real mild nute solution to rid netpots & Rockwool etc of any left over salt residue or Build up, plain water wont touch this shit(salts) but a low EC nute solution will help, salts get attracted to salts & stick like a magnet, helping draw it out of said media. after a mild EC leach-out then id flush with plain water(Last 5-7days in DWC), i find is ample. Majority of my grows in DWC are ran on low EC values, so i rarely have any sort of salts to worry about. = minimal flush time required! gotta luv DWC!

theherbalizor

Veteran
I too like to do frequent mild ec leachings... as you say helps salt build ups and doesn't shocl the plants like a flush can.

And whilst Top shooter gel is quite pricy. A bottle will last a while. The powder sachets are really quite cheap. You get 65grams for about £8 or a box of 5 for £35. This goes in at a rate of 0.65g / L. For the first week and then 1.3g/L in the last weeks of app. But I normally only ever top shoot for max of ten days... this is enough.

Scrogerman

Veteran
Oh thanks Herb, forgot about sachets! ahahahhhaaaaaaa! N1! we might be on for a little go at this one then matey"! Count me in!
Been looking at other finishing methods/products for ages to see if i can get improvement, might just be the one this time! Cheers!

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
that's wierd , guys-what medium are you using? I've never used it in soil/compost, but have in coir and various hydro with the same results. As have some grower friends. Odd. I'm going to have a look in your galleries to see whats happening.

Never had an adverse results either. I have experimentally given one plant Ripen for 3weeks before the chop-the reason being that i was talking to a knowledgable grower a few years ago about Ripen and he said that he had been using it as his main flowering fert-from the end of the stretch to the finish-people say all sorts of wierd shit, i know, but it one of the many things that i have been meaning to try for ages and haven't got around to:blowbubbles:

as an aside-i threw 50L of waste Ripen solution on to an ornamental bush/tree that i had in the garden for years-the flowers and new shoots expanded too much and every thick wooden branch snapped under the weight-as if it was on steroids (which it quite possibly was)

great to hear other growers take on these products
cheers
eddie

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
Another thing that i often use is Gnat Off. It is a remedy for fungus gnats (and possibly other beasts). The active ingrediant is Baccilus thurengsis israelensis-it is alive and multiplies in the medium excreting stuff which kills the larvae.
It has worked for me, in coir, on several occasions. The recommended dose is 1ml/L in with the nutes. I use it every other day, or thereabouts, however on one occasion after 2weeks on this treatment there were still gnats present so i doubled the dose (2ml/L)-this worked and the plants showed no ill effects.
The bad thing about it is the cost-around £20 for 250ml.

cheers
eddieS

STUPPA

Another thing that i often use is Gnat Off. It is a remedy for fungus gnats (and possibly other beasts). The active ingrediant is Baccilus thurengsis israelensis-it is alive and multiplies in the medium excreting stuff which kills the larvae.
It has worked for me, in coir, on several occasions. The recommended dose is 1ml/L in with the nutes. I use it every other day, or thereabouts, however on one occasion after 2weeks on this treatment there were still gnats present so i doubled the dose (2ml/L)-this worked and the plants showed no ill effects.
The bad thing about it is the cost-around £20 for 250ml.

cheers
eddieS

Yes gnat off is very effective but you forgot to mention the smell ! OMG it stinks:puke:, it does work tho , the only other really effective method i have used other than gnat off is predator mites and you can get 2500 of them for £8.50 which is enough for a smallish grow . They don't work as instantly as BTi but i feel it is somehow more natural using them .

ONe thing i have never understood is why mosquito dunks are not sold in the UK , they are so freely available and cheap in the US but i have never seen them sold in the UK surely there must be a market for them ? even if it's just growers who want cheap BTi .

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
lol STUPPA! I wanna use the predators as a precaution but i hear they die out quickly with nothing to kill :D

btw guys, nilnat by Canadian express is just as good and works out cheaper ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts