What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HEADY BLUNTS -- 400w vert micro cab - 22.5" tall -- organic soil w/ blumats!

Garuda

Veteran
Ahh, got it. At least I understood the rez situation - proud of myself for that one!

:joint:
I have to admit: I didn't get it either, thanks for asking :D When I saw it I marked it in my memory for further research ;) but the mark got lost after a good sativa vape hit :D
:dance013:

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
i drew a diagram for the consistent pressure double res :D

picture.php

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
i drew a diagram for the consistent pressure double res :D

picture.php

I love your style, homie. Can't rep you twice in a row... but this post is another example. I understand this diagram INSTANTLY in a way that I wouldn't have understood a two paragraph explanation.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
I love your style, homie. Can't rep you twice in a row... but this post is another example. I understand this diagram INSTANTLY in a way that I wouldn't have understood a two paragraph explanation.

thanks! i'm a kinesthetic learner, so when i read or hear something, i have to make or do it myself to really understand it.

sometimes what i draw is a good translation of the idea for the visual learners out there.

hurray for sharing ideas! this is a pretty great community :D

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Excellent! I understood the concept initially, but I'm pretty technically deficient, so the diagram helped me understand the guts. ..I'll have to duplicate it, if I ever get these damned Blumats..

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
i posted the diagram in the blumat thread and dgr made a good point. if the power goes out, all the water will syphon out of the top res! :yoinks:

i have to add a one way valve in the line. that should fix it.

Or you could just raise the feeding line to the top res. A little splashing will help with oxygen as well.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
good point! it can even still be submerged as long as i put the end much closer to the water surface.

then even if it drains like a cm it will stop when the water level drops to wherever i fix it.

True. That cm or so would have a negligible effect on pressure.

If I might ask though, why are you trying to avoid air bubbles in the top res? They'd only be on the surface, a ways away from your thru-hull line to the blumat manifold. Can't imagine they'd go fucking anything up.

EDIT: Real sweet system by the way for maintaining constant pressure via gravity. I like the way you think.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
If I might ask though, why are you trying to avoid air bubbles in the top res? They'd only be on the surface, a ways away from your thru-hull line to the blumat manifold. Can't imagine they'd go fucking anything up.

hmm i dunno. when i got my kit everyone on the blumat thread was recommending a dead res. i think a couple people have airstones in their res now and don't really have any problems. plus my vent line should handle anything like that. i guess i' just playing it safe.

also about the splashing in the top res, there's only like 1" of space between the surface of the water and the lid of the container, so i'm not sure i could even fit the tube above the water level lol.

Stonetech

Hey heady any easy way to stop siphoning would be to install an elbow for 1/4" line in the hose from the pump just above the water level in your control/upper res. When the pump kicks off it will allow air into the hose breaking the vacuum effect. This is what a lot of ENF bucket users do to prevent siphoning between the main res and control bucket. Here's a pic of what I mean.

DSCF2113.jpg

Nice design BTW.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
Hey heady any easy way to stop siphoning would be to install an elbow for 1/4" line in the hose from the pump just above the water level in your control/upper res. When the pump kicks off it will allow air into the hose breaking the vacuum effect. This is what a lot of ENF bucket users do to prevent siphoning between the main res and control bucket. Here's a pic of what I mean.

View attachment 125497

Nice design BTW.

it's helpful comments like this that make this community great :D

:thank you:

self

That all makes so much sense, thanks heady!
think I'm gonna spring for some blumats this weekend...I'll put your design to use too, with the pump outlet above the surface of your upper res you've basically got a built in airlift it seems...
Think adding tea to the blumat system would gum up the works?

K

Krshna

heady, do your blumats water every day? Just curious as to how wet/dry they let things get, or if they keep things kinda moist all the time. I want to hand water in the style of blumats. Maybe in the future I'll get some for my attic grow, so i dont have to go up and get stung by bumblecocks all the time!

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
heady, do your blumats water every day? Just curious as to how wet/dry they let things get, or if they keep things kinda moist all the time. I want to hand water in the style of blumats. Maybe in the future I'll get some for my attic grow, so i dont have to go up and get stung by bumblecocks all the time!

they constantly water, so the medium stays moist, never over wet or over dry.

i was given the advice to let your soil dry out a bit between waterings and i had practiced that for years before i got the blumats, but i have come to believe the plants and especially the soil biota prefer the constant moisture the blumats provide.

it's really cool to notice how they water at different rates throughout the day and as the plants get bigger and mature. usually they slow down or stop during lights off, i guess the plants aren't as active at night and they don't need as much water. during the second half of lights on (afternoon as i call it :D ) you'll see them really cranking! it's rather exciting.

also the little veg plants might have drunk half a gallon a day, but these 7 week babies are sucking down almost two!

That all makes so much sense, thanks heady!
think I'm gonna spring for some blumats this weekend...I'll put your design to use too, with the pump outlet above the surface of your upper res you've basically got a built in airlift it seems...
Think adding tea to the blumat system would gum up the works?

i hope you like them!

i'll probably do self's method of the "L" piece to break suction rather than moving the line. i remembered i left it at the bottom partly to make it easier on the weak little pump i bought (i wanted it to pump as slowly as possible, but the weak pumps can only lift water 18").

also i wouldn't call it an airlift, since i'm using a water pump and not an air pump.

i did design a very simple but effective airlift for my compost tea brewer that you can check out in the organic stickies if you want. the link is in my sig. i've got a batch bubbling right now!

Do you ever have fungus gnat issues with constantly moist soil bro?

Also, why don't you grow a more complete 360 around your light? The front and back is a little sparse. Just don't know the stretch 100%?

Looking great, as it has been all grow long.

I got my girls in their new GG homes!

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
Do you ever have fungus gnat issues with constantly moist soil bro?

Also, why don't you grow a more complete 360 around your light? The front and back is a little sparse. Just don't know the stretch 100%?

Looking great, as it has been all grow long.

I got my girls in their new GG homes!

actually i haven't had fungus gnats since i got the blumats, since they keep the soil evenly moist but never wet like the gnats like. but i'm terrible at hand watering so you have to put that into consideration.

i had a little war with them when i first started growing, you can see the embarrassing noobish fight i put up if you look in my photo albums :shucks: live and learn right?

as for the full 360, it's being pretty well utilized. remember the cab is only as deep as it is tall, so with the cool tube there's not too much room. all four plants have buds in those spaces as well, even if it's not total coverager. and i'll get a better fill each run i'm sure, as i learn more.

i need to keep a little space in front of the doors so i can access the canopy. after the first run i thought about moving the light closer to the front so i could get a full 180* arc, but i did some math and it doesn't really gain me enough surface area to make it worth while. plus i don't want to cut another 6" hole out of my rental apartment :D

good luck on the gg. i'll be checkin in on your thread :good:

Great show man, k+
absolutely efficient cab. and great job grower!!!
you're the genius!!!

thanks guys!

Latest posts

Latest posts