What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maine's medical scene

E

emerald city

Thanks to all who have helped give a voice to the mmj patients of Maine....Im hopeing some of you will help keep this thread alive by continueing to post local events along with the issues we patient and caregivers are dealing with on a daily basis....There are a lot of "very" small ,local websites in maine trying to help spread the word but at this point they are to small and fragmented to be of much help...On the other side,this website being international seems to make the end user feel more comfortable to log in and get a quick take on whats happening in our local sceene....Ive run into more then a few natives who are starting to check in here as a quick sourse of "real" up to date news....:ying:
I started this thread hopeing to attract Maines mis placed medical patients,or anyone who needed help find thier way along this path.The only goal was /is to help folks become as self relient as possible .Share the knowledge ,help your neighbor...
Lifes getting busy and im getting tired.I will still check in from time to time and try to answer personal pm's..Hopefully someone from Maine will step up and put in the effort needed to keep this thread alive,A beacon of lite beaming infomation to- peoples everywhere :tiphat: catch yah when i can,E/C out

Amber Trich

Maine to open first medicinal marijuana dispensaries on East Coast, but not without concerns
01:00 AM EST on Sunday, March 6, 2011
By Tracy Breton
Journal Staff Writer

If all goes as planned, the Rhode Island Department of Health will announce Tuesday who has been selected to open dispensaries that will legally sell marijuana to patients who have been certified by doctors as needing the drug to help cope with debilitating pain or disease.

But even if the groups proposing dispensaries go on a fast track to build facilities and start growing product, Rhode Island will not be the first state in New England to open such businesses.

By the end of this month, one state-regulated dispensary will open in Frenchville, Maine, on the Canadian border, according to John Thiele, program manager for Maine’s Medical Use of Marijuana Program. It will be the first on the East Coast.

Two more dispensaries are expected to open, one in Biddeford and another in Ellsworth, by the end of April. A fourth, located in a shopping plaza in Auburn, plans to open in May, run by a couple, Tim and Jenna Smale.

Both Rhode Island and Maine have allowed medicinal marijuana for several years –– since 1999 in Maine, and beginning in 2006 in Rhode Island. The programs were started in both states to help people who claimed to get little relief from prescription drugs to cope with pain, wasting syndrome and agitation caused by a host of conditions, including cancer, HIV and Alzheimer’s disease. According to the administrators of the respective programs, it’s not elderly cancer or AIDS patients who most often register to legally use marijuana, but those with “other” chronic conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and degenerative bone disease.

Like Rhode Island, Maine has central control over medicinal marijuana dispensaries and over their monitoring. But in Maine, there has been considerable opposition to the creation of the dispensaries and concerns over their potential effect on public safety.

In Rhode Island, where one to three dispensaries have been authorized, the opposition has been relatively muted. Cranston Mayor Alan Fung, a former state prosecutor, was one of just a few people who testified against the dispensaries at a recent Department of Health hearing on the applications by the 18 entities that want dispensary licenses.

Fung said that while he finds the concept of medicinal marijuana “noble,” he objects to the dispensaries on legal grounds. The federal government still classifies cannabis as “a dangerous drug,” he pointed out, and he thinks dispensaries will create too much work for his Police Department.

There are two dispensary proposals for Cranston and a third group wants to grow marijuana there for dispensary sale elsewhere.

Tim Smale has used medicinal marijuana for about eight years for migraine headaches, and his wife is his caregiver. They got their first taste of dispensaries when they were living in California, and “we are now tapping into all of our savings and have secured loans from trusted friends and family who have a similar vision” for their new business, Remedy Compassion Center. It will operate next door to a crafts store in a shopping plaza that also includes a Bed Bath & Beyond and a movie theater.

Thiele, the government administrator who will oversee the dispensary program in Maine, anticipates that dispensaries like the one the Smales are opening will provide a more accessible way for some of Maine’s most pain-ridden residents to legally get marijuana.

Now, as is the case in Rhode Island, people using marijuana for medical reasons must either grow it themselves or get it from a grower or caregiver.

The dispensaries in Maine are seen as a new source of revenue for a cash-strapped state which, like Rhode Island, is hungry for revenue. Product sold will be subject to Maine’s 5-percent sales tax, and everyone from patients, caregivers and officers, board members and employees of the dispensaries will have to pay annual registration fees.

But the law in Maine that is allowing the dispensaries to open –– which for the first time regulates the delivery system for medicinal marijuana –– has been hard to implement. It has also caused a lot of ill will among various constituencies.

Guy Cousins, director of the Office of Substance Abuse within the Maine Department of Health and Human Services, which now administers the medical marijuana program, testified against the bill that authorized dispensaries when it was being considered by the legislature in 2009, citing public safety issues.

Allowing patients or caregivers to possess 2½ ounces of marijuana every 15 days will lead to diversion of the drug to family members or friends, either by sale or theft, he said.

The state, he complained, will be saddled with increased administrative costs to keep track of participants in the program.

The Maine Medical Association opposed the original medical marijuana law based on “medical risks associated with marijuana use,” but took no position on the legislation authorizing dispensaries.

Roy McKinney, director of the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency, testified that while it might appear that the state would regulate storefront medical marijuana dispensaries like it regulates pharmacies, “nothing could be further from the truth.

Numerous California communities that have permitted dispensaries have found that they have resulted in negative and harmful secondary effects, including significant increases in traffic, crime and noise,” he said.

The Maine Chiefs of Police Association opposed the referendum that created the dispensaries. Robert Schwartz, executive director, said the group’s position was based on “public safety issues and addictions that people have had. It leads to other drugs.”

In addition to public safety concerns, there has been some push-back from municipalities. Some cities and towns in Maine have passed moratoriums to block dispensaries from opening. This has forced some dispensary operators to change site plans.

And the task of administering the program has proved to be a nightmare for Thiele, who with the help of just one data-entry operator, has been required in the last two months to process more than 1,000 applications from certified patients and caregivers. Although medicinal marijuana became legal in the state 12 years ago, registration cards were never required until Jan. 1 of this year. Because it costs money to register, most people “waited until the last minute” to do so, Thiele said.

Rhode Island has always required medical marijuana users and growers to register with the Department of Health. But the state could face a crush of applications if dispensaries suddenly opened and marijuana becomes more accessible for medicinal use.

Thiele finds that he now has a backlog of applications. Approximately 100 card applications sit on his desk, submitted by patients who’ve been certified by doctors to legally have the drug or by their designated growers. “We’re just overwhelmed,” he says, wondering out loud whether he’s ever going to find time to conduct inspections of those who get certified as caregivers and of the new dispensaries that will soon open.

Jonathan Leavitt, who heads a caregivers lobbying organization in Maine and who was the force behind a citizens initiative that collected 85,000 signatures from Maine residents to get the medical-marijuana-dispensary bill on the ballot in 2009, says “marijuana in Maine is the number-one cash crop in the state.”

“You would not believe how much of the economy of Maine is directly or indirectly related to the production of marijuana,” Leavitt said. “In small towns, members of boards of selectman and law enforcement officers are growers, dealers or patients. It’s a big fabric of Maine life, from people in their 60s and 70s to people down in their 20s. We sat in front of state representatives when we testified on the bill who grew it.”

He said one of the main reasons he was in favor of the dispensary legislation was to increase patient access to medical marijuana. In Maine, many physicians tend to be older and “not well educated about the medical benefits of marijuana,” and since much of the state is rural, patients –– some of whom still can’t even find doctors to approve marijuana use –– needed an additional supply source.

Thiele said that one of the criteria for selecting who got the dispensary licenses was their delivery systems. “They’ve promised to do home deliveries to the disabled and they’ve said they’ll deliver 7 days a week.”

But that’s the rub. Now, what Thiele referred to as Maine’s “cottage industry” of caregivers feel betrayed by what they see as “big business” dispensaries cutting into their ability to make a living.

“What’s emerged is so out of whack with what we envisioned,” Leavitt said. “When this started, we envisioned small mom and pop stores in every city and town in the state that would complement the almost nonexistent caregiver system in the state but not put the dispensaries at a big disadvantage. We envisioned a horizontal framework where caregivers and dispensaries would be on an equal footing and work symbiotically and on a scale that was really, really sustainable.

“But the legislature altered the law so significantly that we don’t think dispensaries are a viable option anymore. So much capital is required to open them that it disqualified 99.999 percent of the people of Maine from operating them.”

holy-- only 1000 patients and our state is effectively overwhelmed..

E

emerald city

NOT getting easier

NOT getting easier

It is NOT getting any easier finding a doctor in Maine to write out a Marijuana recommendation....
Last week 1 of the few doc's to openly be pro medical on the issue of MJ has had a change of heart[or got spooked] and will not be taking any new MMJ Patients....
I do know when i talked to her last month she had told me she was overrun by potential patients trying to go legal,only problem was the vast majority DIDNT qualify under Maine law and still wanted the recomendation...At one point the doc said she even felt intiminated by a client who was pressuring her to sign him up at once..
Between the feds putting pressure on the state,state putting pressure on the doctors,us folks who legally qualify are being left to fend for ourselfs....Ive run into patients on a very fixed income trying to do the right /legal thing only to find themselfs [again] out of compliance because the doc wont/cant sign the required paper work.....\I swear the system was designed to FAIL..The state seems more interested in micromanaging my doctor patient relationship or helping the dispenseries get thier[potential] market share then making sure the patients are being treated in the fashion that the law we voted in ,was intended......Good luck-patients of Maine.
:ying: Rant over...enjoy the day...E/C out

C

chefro420

Be patient , Im sure soon a MM only Dr will set up shop up your way . Sucks to hear people who really needing it suffering. Good luck guys

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
Overwhelmed is that why i havnt got my license yet? its been almost a month since i was approved.. I got 2 more patients that need to make appointments also... looks like ill only be doing 6 smartpots in the backyard this year =( i was looking forward to 18!!!

Yea this whole dispensary thing is starting to piss me right the fuck off...

when are they going to right up a bill so that we as patients and caregivers can supply the dispansarys with our product?? this would be the right approach.. keep everyone in biz

mrktwiz

Overwhelmed is that why i havnt got my license yet? its been almost a month since i was approved.. I got 2 more patients that need to make appointments also... looks like ill only be doing 6 smartpots in the backyard this year =( i was looking forward to 18!!!

Yea this whole dispensary thing is starting to piss me right the fuck off...

when are they going to right up a bill so that we as patients and caregivers can supply the dispansarys with our product?? this would be the right approach.. keep everyone in biz

Aero;

Wait till you go FULL legal in Maine and see what the dispensaries PAY you for all your hard work. Your best cut's will only get you maybe, (and ONLY if you have done biz with them for a long time) $2600-2800 a pack..and here in Cali. they don't EVEN want to look at your outdoor, good luck if you get $1,500 a pack for that lol:laughing: I'm currently getting outdoor Platinum Purple Kush, extremely frosty you would have a real hard time telling it's not indoor for $1,200 a pack, needless to say it doesn't stay in Cali if you know what I mean. Outdoor growers her sit around and cry in their beers all the time about "the good old days".

It cracks me up when states are all up in their grill to get more doc's to issue MJ referrals, hell my g/f is a Physical Therapist and one of the best run Medical Marijuana refferal doctors office here in Santa Cruz just went out of business because SO many doctor's undercut them to like $49.00 a refferal and they will write you a rec if you can fog a flippin mirror, it's a joke!

You go Maine, if your lucky you'll get EVERYTHING your heart desires and be going in 2-3 years WTF just happened? :faint:

Aeroguerilla

Veteran
You go Maine, if your lucky you'll get EVERYTHING your heart desires and be going in 2-3 years WTF just happened? :faint:

There will always be an underground market im not scared of whats to come in the legal market. I will always get money in this game if i have to fire up a 200kw diesel generator or grow 10,000 plants on state property. the strong survive my man remember that

so wen the price comes down to about 1k per lb of dank out east i want all yall to think of aeroG and his 200kw genny fuckin killin it
lets overgrow this bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait till you go FULL legal in Maine and see what the dispensaries PAY you for all your hard work.

The way I understand it dispensaries can't buy product, they have to grow their own under the current state guidelines. If you want to buy a single gram from the dispensary you have to give up your right to grow your own. If you want to have a caregiver you have to give up your right to grow your own. If you are a caregiver you can't even help out a patient in need unless they are registered with the state as your patient. This is NOTHING like cali. On top of that it currently costs $575 to be a patient for one year (plus two trips across half the state, a year, for many of us). These are costs that are unattainable for many. :fsu:

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
RI's DOH appointed 3 so called Compassion Centers (supposedly non-profit ha ha)one of which(the SUMMIT CC) is behind a bill going to be heard at the RI state house this wed at 4:30 which will put an end to patients as well as caregivers gowing MMJ.Funny how a so called compassion center wants to end a patients right to grow so they can corner the market in the state,where's the compassion in taking away one's rights and charging hundreds per ounce.The other 2 compassion centers will be supporting the patient,and caregivers right to grow.SUMMIT Compassion center will be boycotted in RI.

Amber Trich

obviously med pot was never about health or patients.. its about us fighting to be free and mega corps taking a grab at whats ours -typical.

LD 1192 (HP883) An Act To Require That Marijuana Seized by Law Enforcement Officers Be Tested and Made Available for Use by Authorized Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Committee on Criminal Justice and Public Safety http://www.state.me.us/legis/house/jt_com/crj.htm

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/bills_125th/billtexts/HP088301.asp

This bill requires marijuana seized by law enforcement officers to be tested by a state laboratory and if found safe for use to be made available to a registered dispensary.

locally grown, stolen by the state and resold by big bizz... dont think those profits will recirculate in OUR communities..

luckily they can never stop us, maine loves pot too much

whats going on in RI is exactly what we cannot let happen here. Our state is too economically deprived and ecologically rich to stand for being over run by a bunch of money grabbing fat cats.

E

emerald city

obviously med pot was never about health or patients.. its about us fighting to be free and mega corps taking a grab at whats ours -typical.

locally grown, stolen by the state and resold by big bizz... dont think those profits will recirculate in OUR communities..

whats going on in RI is exactly what we cannot let happen here. Our state is too economically deprived and ecologically rich to stand for being over run by a bunch of money grabbing fat cats.
I 100% agree....
I for one will never give up my option to grow my own medicine and be forced to buy marijuana from anyone....If the state o maine thinks that trying to shove the dispensery idea down our throats is gonna work without us revolting they got another thing coming. I think you'll find MANY of us otherwise law abideing patients will start collectively breaking the" law" and going back to the provebeal closet to do there thing in private...
Maine should embrace the independant little man,small mom and pop operations,let them fill the void and SELL there excess MJ to the caregivers or dispenseries like its done in other states.The economy isnt great,jobs are real hard to find,Maine is the least business friendly state in the whole U.S of A....Stop the trend and let us locals in on the new greenrush..Dont give it all to big business or outa state interests..WE CAN DO THIS. and have for the last 30 years..As Maine goes-so goes the nation
East coast rules :ying: E/C out

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
RI Corruption at it's finest

RI Corruption at it's finest

To top it all off,SUMMIT (compassion center)that's now trying to take away the patient as well as caregivers rights to cultivate here in RI,are hiring all there growers from Cali.

Just when I thought the Sapranos had ended,Surprise they are opening a dispencery in RI.I hope things work out better for all you in Maine,because everything we've fought and lobbyed for here in RI is circling the bowl.Too much money to be made here by the Tony's and the Vinny's......BADA BING!

Amber Trich

To top it all off,SUMMIT (compassion center)that's now trying to take away the patient as well as caregivers rights to cultivate here in RI,are hiring all there growers from Cali.

Just when I thought the Sapranos had ended,Surprise they are opening a dispencery in RI.I hope things work out better for all you in Maine,because everything we've fought and lobbyed for here in RI is circling the bowl.Too much money to be made here by the Tony's and the Vinny's......BADA BING!

Its sad and scary.. we do the work, cali corps reap the profit, we continue to fill prisons... typical I guess

its so fcked we are the only industrialized country with no health care, a complete prison state and now in the face of the potentially worst nuclear release ever our president is pressing for more billions of dollars for more nuke plants in OUR country??

Im pretty sure they are just feeding us junk food and television to keep us too weak to revolt.

The best response I can think of is growing as much mind and spirit liberating ganja as possible.. The varieties we choose are our biggest contribution and highest influence. Strains that make people want to live for revolution.

E

emerald city

Its sad and scary.. we do the work, cali corps reap the profit, we continue to fill prisons... typical I guess

its so fcked we are the only industrialized country with no health care, a complete prison state and now in the face of the potentially worst nuclear release ever our president is pressing for more billions of dollars for more nuke plants in OUR country??

Im pretty sure they are just feeding us junk food and television to keep us too weak to revolt.

The best response I can think of is growing as much mind and spirit liberating ganja as possible.. The varieties we choose are our biggest contribution and highest influence. Strains that make people want to live for revolution.
Ever thought of running for office or advocating for some quasi political group??
I'd vote for you.....Amber for state MJ czar.:dance013:

H

highsteppa

From what I understand Northeast Patients Group is having a hard time getting financing...hahah:moon:

We don't need dispensaries and their overpriced meds sending all the money out of state. I doubt there is enough patients for it to be profitable even if they were open. Seems the caregiver system is a better route IMO, and it seems the ganja is less expensive with more personal service and REAL compassion. Corporate interests in the patients? Gimme a break, they' re only interested in patients money....it's kinda funny and ironic though because the corporate profiteers are the same ones that pu$hed the legislation.

KONY

Veteran
I am reluctant to post in this thread because the state is so small, I mean in terms of population.... but whatever, i've got a new user name, and a recent recommendation, so i feel slightly more secure.

Did anyone see the youtube maine web news on the mdea raiding a couple with no real evidence and not charging them with anything. I dont wana get thread closed so i wont post the youtube directly, but if u youtube search mdea marijuana, its the first response that comes up.
If I remember correctly this same thing happened out west 15 years ago when MMJ was first passed. The cops didnt respect the patients rights until they were sued a few times and lost.

Since getting my rec, i have been felt like i am inbetween a rock and a hard place. I moved to maine cause they have very liberal laws for growing weed, however the whole state seems "hot" right now. I been thinking about cutting down to just 6 flowering plants, but if i do that i will easily get 4-6oz off each plant dry weight....which would put me way over the poss. amount anyways, so why not just keep more plants too.

Having not done this forever, sometimes my plants come out amazing, sometimes they just come out great. Ive had some really poor yielding harvest, from 6 plants, if something went wrong i might be left without medicine for few months, and that is not acceptable. Its is a plant that causes no harm. I should be able to have a whole field full.

my moms right now:
Casey jones, LA Confidential, ECSD, UK Cheese, FFA, Spice, KKSC.

There probably another 1 or 2 that I am forgetting, ive got access to a few others too.

Make sure you guys run your ECSD proper, it may look done and smell nice at 9 weeks, but let it go 11....

zgpowmonkey

Glad to see Maine represented here. I'm a native, but moved to Colorado a decade ago to chase the ol' career. It's such a massive bummer to see the state of affairs as it is now. I recall the law being passed right before I moved away, and just assumed that it'd be a virtual cannabis shangri-la by now. Kinda makes sense, though, knowing augusta. they're currently raiding my folks' retirement fund. Kudos to all of you fighting to straighten out the mess this has apparently become. I have a question, if any would be so kind as to fill me in. I've seen a site or two claiming that ME honors other state's patients med cards. I'm traveling back to see the fam soon, and would like to know if I can stroll into a shop and get my pain meds, since you really can't fly with it now. Thanks and keep up the good work! :friends:

Aeroguerilla

Veteran
you guys here of the bust in Gouldsboro? within the limits and everything. registered patient.

Medical Marijuana Caregivers of Maine is calling on Governor Paul LePage to act immediately by:

-- Directing the Department of Public Safety to investigate this incident and return or offer fair compensation for all of the property taken from the ********
-- Filing formal complaints with the U.S. Probation Office and the U.S. Justice Department regarding this incident

-- Issuing an executive order clearly prohibiting any state agency from participating in the arrest or seizure of the property of patients, caregivers, and dispensaries engaged in actions protected under the medical marijuana laws of the State of Maine

-- Giving his full public support to LD 1296 -- "An Act To Amend the Maine Medical Use of Marijuana Act To Protect Patient Privacy"

Please call the Governor TODAY and ask that he take these actions -- 207-287-3531

E

emerald city

Wanted to put together a list of breeds that are in Maine.
List only what you've personaly seen.No stories from years gone by.
1. ecsd
2. maine red bud
3.[soma's] nycd
4. MOB
5.grapefruit x RB crosses[gfxrb1-gfrb2-gf3rb etc]
6. GF3 X ECSD
7. hashbud
8. donkey dick
9. trainwreck
10.poisen durban [both indoor/outdoor]
11.snowdog

and a whole bunch of crap not worth mentioning.....GO.....:dance013
Came across a few new breeds in our travels
blueberry kush
money maker/mm
ak-47
Seems like everyones starting thier own stable :).Ill be back with more breeds from the road...E/C out

Latest posts

Latest posts