What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Evaluating Sunshine potential in your plot

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
PazVerdeRadical said:
a lot of water as well cannot be forgotten when aiming at maximun yields. in the tropics, if you have a plant getting 12 hours of direct sun light per day, it will need a lot more water than a plant planted near a place where the shade allows for a moister soil and thus less irrigation needed, you can also sucessfully grow under those conditions and less hours of direct sun light, the plant will keep doing photosynthesis until the sun is set, even in the shade radiation of the sun affects the plants' metabolism.

Yes! Water! I'm all to familier with the problem of lacking water, my climate gets less rainfall in summer than many North American desert regions.

I have often heard of people using shade to conserve water, and from my experience, each plant will need less water to reach its maximum potential(for that plant in that location), but a plant grown with less light will have less potential for yield.

I can see where shade growing can be a advantage for those people who grow in climates with rainfall in the growing season(like many jungles), it may be possible to eliminate the need to hand water at all, you simply plant more plants to make up the loss in yield.

But in climates like mine, where the grower must provide 90% of the plants water needs through the summer, the rules of the game changes, the ammount of bud you yield is in direct relation to the ammount of water you provide.
If a plant does not need more water because it is growing in more shade, then it will produce less bud than its sister who is in more sunshine and needs more water, more sun x more water= more bud.

My average is about 10-15 Gallons of Water for each ounce of bud I harvest. I could have one plant growing in full sun who yields 4oz, or 4 plants under partial shade who yield about 1oz each, but both plots will take 40 gallons of water from July-Sept to make that 4oz.

Another thing some may find interesting is that the Sun does not drive moisture from the soil directly, once the sun has dried the top few inches of soil, capilary action quits bringing water to the surface and no more moisture can be evaporated directly by the sun. Moisture below this shallow level is evaporated by the sun only through the plants that grow in it.

Last edited:

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
BC, but for the plant you have under full sun, you have to haul the water to reach your numbers, while for the ones you have on moister soil due to less hours of sun will need less visits regardless if they use the same ammount of water as the ones under the sun.
just something to consider when doing a gorila spot. also, my experience is under the tropical sun, where the plant vegs and flowers in the same temperatures and extreme heat conditions, no spring or autuum to help keep heat stress away, etc...
peace

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
PVR, if it doesn't rain, then there will be no moist soil once the plants have depleted the moisture.

Yes, it may require less frequent watering due to the shade, but I'll have to have more plants to make up what I am not getting due to the shade. This means more plots to hold them, and more places to visit, and I will still be providing 10 gallons for each Ounce harvested.
In effect, I would still be spending as much time running around the bush.

Last edited:

Vdro

yeah there might be more places to visit, but you can just work in teams you know what i mean??

nothing like teamwork :rasta:

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
I'm a solo planter Vdro, growing partners are more trouble than they are worth, usually.

Vdro

BACKCOUNTRY said:
I'm a solo planter Vdro, growing partners are more trouble than they are worth, usually.

yeah i know what you mean bro....wouldnt that be awesome if we could just get computers to grow for us? like one person can just get multiple computers and be in controll of multiple grows, w/ diff strain names

there would be weed everywhere!! and i do mean everywhere :canabis:

smokeymacpot

Veteran
wamen your slightly shaded plants seemed to flower 5days earlier then??
i will have plants shaded in the evening next year and see if this happens for me as well. mine didnt start untill about a week into september, if could get them to start 1-2 weeks earlier it would really help me.

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
BACKCOUNTRY said:
PVR, if it doesn't rain, then there will be no moist soil once the plants have depleted the moisture.

Yes, it may require less frequent watering due to the shade, but I'll have to have more plants to make up what I am not getting due to the shade. This means more plots to hold them, and more places to visit, and I will still be providing 10 gallons for each Ounce harvested.
In effect, I would still be spending as much time running around the bush.

BC, true, well, almost the same time, i guess the difference would not be worth anyways, i rather full sun just because it keeps them more mold and fungus free than with shade, also another thing to consider, so i'll shut up... hehehe... peace man

G

greenstep

backcountry u are a green legend.respect man.....u help me from a-z with your post!