What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First Grow - Norcal - Outdoors - 3 plants

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
The yucca is just a surfactant (prevent liquids from beading so it spreads better).

You could make a better product for foliar and root drench than to use the bio ag ful power and nitrozime. (And save $$$)

Humic and fulvic acids occur naturally in compost and worm castings (worm castings are loaded with up to 10,000 kinds of beneficial bacterias as well) You could brew fresh batches of your own aerated compost, worm castings/kelp meal teas to supercharge your plants with.

Ranstedt

Update.

Plants are doing well, for the most part. The Blackberry Fire seems to have the most leaves with PM. I went from wiping the leaves to cutting off the affected leaves. For the first time I saw a few leaves with an actual powdery substance instead of what looked like a whitish residue that dried onto the leaves. The Blackberry Fire doesn't have quite as much sun exposure as the other two big plants.

Other than that, plants look good. Buds are developing nicely. The aroma has gotten a little stronger, but not too much at this point.

I've tied down a few branches here and there to open up the plants for better airflow and increase the sun exposure to the middle / lower parts of the plants. I've also removed a few fan leaves here and there for the same effect (hopefully) after reading about "strategic defoliation" in the flowering stage. Not sure how I feel about it since I regretted doing it in the veg stage.

I've been making a list of things to try / do differently next season.

On 7/9 I purchased a Blue Dream clone and immediately put it in a 4" pot. 8/5 I repotted it into it's final container, a 7 gallon. Every night I bring it inside so it can have extra light. I plan to leave it outside permanently once I put it into flowering. I need to LST. I was also thinking of buying some kelp extract to use on the baby plant and for all my non cannabis plants.

There's a lot of options for seaweed extracts yet these seem to offer bang for the buck (if they work).

What do you all think of this? It's $16.25 for a gallon.
https://www.growmore.com/products/type/seaweed-extract.html
81l8RpnpEWL._SL1500_.jpg

I see this at my local hardware stores for $10. Makes 16 gallons.
southern-ag-plant-flower-fertilizer-100509323-64_1000.jpg

Okay, until next time.

Ranstedt

Some of the powdery mildew is getting real close to the budsites.

After research:
- I sprayed all 3 plants with a 1:10 mixture of 3% peroxide : water
- Tomorrow I might buy an 8 oz container of Green Cure and spray the plants
- Like Jorge Cervantes demonstrated, at harvest I might submerge the stems in a peroxide solution to wash away the powdery mildew residue. I have a while to figure out whether I'll do that or not.

Also, I ordered a gallon of GrowMore kelp. We'll see how that goes for my small Blue Dream plant.

Ranstedt

Yesterday I made a full strength solution of Green Cure and applied it to the plants. Today, they look good. The pistils darkened a bit, but I knew that going in that's what would happen. The buds just look a little further developed than they really are (if that makes sense?) and come harvest will look normal. I'll try applying a lesser dose of a 1/2 T (1.5 teaspoons) of Green Cure per gallon of water as a maintenance dose once per week.

The powdery mildew I saw today on the leaves just fell off when I pulled them, instead of sticking to the foliage like they had been. Definite improvement.

Okay, I also got a gallon of GrowMore kelp. I'll spray my little Blue Dream clone that i'm vegging with it. Maybe I'll water the big girls with it. Who knows.

Ranstedt

Update.

The 3 big plants are looking good and the young Blue Dream is vegging like she should be.

A few days ago I got a Night Nurse and a Purple Punch clone. I know these won't amount to much since it's late in the season. But I thought I'd experiment and find out first hand what's possible this late. I might create a 2nd grow diary for the 3 young plants.

I appear to have the powdery mildew situation under control. Here's what I've done:

- Started using neem once a week. This didn't work out for me. However, I wasn't mixing the Neem oil fresh before use. I mixed one batch and kept using it. I discovered that Azadirachtin, in Neem oil, has a very short half life. So it looks like my early usage of Neem wasn't as effective as it could've been.

- Wiped leaves that had PM

- Plucked leaves with PM

- Tried a peroxide mixture

- Tried 1 application of full strength Green Cure

- Maintenance of half strength Green Cure w/ Neem Oil every other day

I've also defoliated a bit to improve airflow, sun exposure, and to remove infected leaves (after I sprayed so the PM doesn't go airborne from me moving leaves around).

If I feel the need to try a different product, I was going to try Serenade or Actinovate next. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Today I fed my flowering plants a little nitrogen in the form of Alaska Liquid Fish Fertilizer that I purchased yesterday. Decided to look for less expensive options compared to Fox Farm. The gallon size is more than half price than a gallon of grow big. I'll consider the flowering Alaska fertilizer when the times comes that I need more flowering nutes. Anyways, I came across something saying that it's not necessarily a good idea to stop nitrogen intake early in flower. So I thought i'd give them a light feeding.

Till next time ...

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I appear to have the powdery mildew situation under control. Here's what I've done:

- Started using neem once a week. This didn't work out for me. However, I wasn't mixing the Neem oil fresh before use. I mixed one batch and kept using it. I discovered that Azadirachtin, in Neem oil, has a very short half life. So it looks like my early usage of Neem wasn't as effective as it could've been.

- Wiped leaves that had PM

- Plucked leaves with PM

- Tried a peroxide mixture

- Tried 1 application of full strength Green Cure

- Maintenance of half strength Green Cure w/ Neem Oil every other day

I've also defoliated a bit to improve airflow, sun exposure, and to remove infected leaves (after I sprayed so the PM doesn't go airborne from me moving leaves around).

If I feel the need to try a different product, I was going to try Serenade or Actinovate next. Hopefully it won't come to that.

I thought it was strange you developed pm while using the neem, ive always mixed it fresh for use and not had problems.

Good to hear you are getting the PM under control, ive heard good things about green cure. From what i understand it is potassium bicarbonate if you want a cheaper source in the future.

Today I fed my flowering plants a little nitrogen in the form of Alaska Liquid Fish Fertilizer that I purchased yesterday. Decided to look for less expensive options compared to Fox Farm. The gallon size is more than half price than a gallon of grow big. I'll consider the flowering Alaska fertilizer when the times comes that I need more flowering nutes. Anyways, I came across something saying that it's not necessarily a good idea to stop nitrogen intake early in flower. So I thought i'd give them a light feeding.

Till next time ...

The plants seem to love the alaska fish fertilizer in veg/early flower because of the nitrogen and calcium, cant beat the price either haha. I dont have any experience with the alaska bloom fertilizer, ive been topdressing/making teas with dry feeds for outdoor as it seemed the most cost efficient.