What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHO turning cloudy/waxy during purge

Hey guys, I've had some problems lately with my BHO turning cloudy and/or waxy.

Place packed tube inside another tube with dry ice (diy dewaxing column), let it chill for an hour or so and then shoot my butane thru. Filter it thru 2um buchner filter, Product comes out very clear, hotwater bath at 100 degrees till all the butane evaps off, pour it onto my slick mat and it gives me perfectly clear oil that looks like it'll be good shatter.

I purged one run at 119F and -29hg and the next day it was like gelling up around the areas spread thinner. If I put it into a vial it's very cloudy and not see thru.

Ran another run and this time purged at 98F and -25hg overnight and same thing happened.

Am I getting water and/or lipids into the product? Am I not leaving it in the dewaxing column long enough?

Terpharvester

There’s probabaly water in your extraction, it could come from the material itself or when your filtering it with the Buchner. Also if you leave something to purge at lower temps and not full vac ie-25 instead of -29 this could also cause budder/cloudyness

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey guys, I've had some problems lately with my BHO turning cloudy and/or waxy.

Place packed tube inside another tube with dry ice (diy dewaxing column), let it chill for an hour or so and then shoot my butane thru. Filter it thru 2um buchner filter, Product comes out very clear, hotwater bath at 100 degrees till all the butane evaps off, pour it onto my slick mat and it gives me perfectly clear oil that looks like it'll be good shatter.

I purged one run at 119F and -29hg and the next day it was like gelling up around the areas spread thinner. If I put it into a vial it's very cloudy and not see thru.

Ran another run and this time purged at 98F and -25hg overnight and same thing happened.

Am I getting water and/or lipids into the product? Am I not leaving it in the dewaxing column long enough?

Water will do that. What is your relative humidity.

Dirt Bag

I'm getting dark, lava-like patch in the middle of the sample during purge @ 119°F./-30Hg (@ sea level)
Question: does plant matter typically congregate if present in the sample during purge?
This patch is of a slightly different consistency, somewhat less stable.
Is it just plant matter? Or a hot spot in the bottom of the vacuum chamber? (doubtful as it's in 2.5" of sand) I'm assuming plant matter but really seek confirmation. Thanks ya'll.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm getting dark, lava-like patch in the middle of the sample during purge @ 119°F./-30Hg (@ sea level)
Question: does plant matter typically congregate if present in the sample during purge?
This patch is of a slightly different consistency, somewhat less stable.
Is it just plant matter? Or a hot spot in the bottom of the vacuum chamber? (doubtful as it's in 2.5" of sand) I'm assuming plant matter but really seek confirmation. Thanks ya'll.

Are you purging alcohol or LPG?

Dirt Bag

*Not sure how I'm missing replies so often? Is there a setting to receive notification that someone has commented on something I have? *Dang ol' technology.

Purging R-600 GW. At what I believe to be something you posted's suggestion, I raised the temperature to 137°-140°F and purged for 12 hours at 28.5Hg.
I had posted on another thread that this resulted in the same pull n snap only darker... BUT, I then wadded that (25g) sample into a 2"x2"x1" puck and froze it. Today I thawed and attempted to portion off a "slice" and... lo and behold! It parted like...no, not the Red Sea, like BUDDAH!
And the color hasn't changed. I only thought so because it was thicker. It's now extremely easy to manipulate, has lost the "industrial pipe scrappings" taste, which I have to assume was the (obvious to me now) remaining solvent, leaving a very nice, smooth piney flavor.
So, would higher temperature / different vacuum produce an even "drier" sample? Currently it really slices just like a dense fudge brownie, just slightly grainy. I suppose the epitome is to end up with, what? Something akin to bran flakes? Fruity Pebbles?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
*Not sure how I'm missing replies so often? Is there a setting to receive notification that someone has commented on something I have? *Dang ol' technology.

Purging R-600 GW. At what I believe to be something you posted's suggestion, I raised the temperature to 137°-140°F and purged for 12 hours at 28.5Hg.
I had posted on another thread that this resulted in the same pull n snap only darker... BUT, I then wadded that (25g) sample into a 2"x2"x1" puck and froze it. Today I thawed and attempted to portion off a "slice" and... lo and behold! It parted like...no, not the Red Sea, like BUDDAH!
And the color hasn't changed. I only thought so because it was thicker. It's now extremely easy to manipulate, has lost the "industrial pipe scrappings" taste, which I have to assume was the (obvious to me now) remaining solvent, leaving a very nice, smooth piney flavor.
So, would higher temperature / different vacuum produce an even "drier" sample? Currently it really slices just like a dense fudge brownie, just slightly grainy. I suppose the epitome is to end up with, what? Something akin to bran flakes? Fruity Pebbles?

I too would lower temperaures. I like to use when the oil just fully melts, which is closer to 110/115F.

Latest posts

Latest posts