What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GIRL's GOT SKILLS

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Ichabod Crane, packerfan79, Smokin Joe +respect. There are no secrets to growing its just biology. Ill be :lurk::Bolt:

Last edited:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I guess the point I'm trying to make is; I'm using the same wattage I was with hid but have more light that is way easier to cool with an improved spectrum and some how my quality and yields improved along the way. To me it was worth the money I spent on the upgrades.

That is strange I used 70 watts less and my yield went up as well as the quality under my LEDs. Just cant seem to get my leaf temp above the high 70's with the LEDs.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
Not trying to debate it but the hlg drivers are replaceable and carry a 7 year standard warranty.
Hlg sells diy kits and every component to build the same fixture you can buy complete at a substantial savings.
Im not trying to convince anyone that 1 thing is better than the other. I switched to led's to battle summer heat with out killing myself paying the cooling bill. My hlg lights don't use the same drivers the factory fixtures do. I run em a bit harder so my hlg 550 v2's are drawing 630 watts at the wall rather than the 472 the factory lights draw. Not a lot of difference in watts but they are a damn sight brighter.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is; I'm using the same wattage I was with hid but have more light that is way easier to cool with an improved spectrum and some how my quality and yields improved along the way. To me it was worth the money I spent on the upgrades.
I run my flower room at 85f without c02. Its not sealed so it would be a waste.

How much penetration does the hlg lights have? Say if you’re growing 4ft plants, will they penetrate as well as a 1000w se hps?

Been looking at the new gavita leds. What do you think about that one? Other than the price being something like 1300! I think unc is about to get one.

Aspenou812

Veteran
Hey Aspen, are you having a custom mix made by Veg & Bloom? I was just wondering what they have to say about the calcium fueled diet. Not doubting the method, just wondering about the response. It would be interesting if they made that mix widely available. The Aspen mix.

No I haven't spoken to Chris as of yet.... I'll give him a call and show him the result... For now ill be rebalancing the Ratios By hand.. I will say this mix is dead flat as far as PH Drift... Solid as can be and my plants have loved the change.. I'm also feeding 20% lower feeds and they look great... This is a big improvementement the V+B has always needed something in Veg.... Maybe I've hit paydirt... Only time will tell... I'm impressed thus far...

Aspenou812

Veteran
The HLG LEDs she is talking about getting are easy to replace the drivers on. It doesnt take much to figure out what driver you need and how to change them.

The drivers I use are rated as long as the LEDs are rated for. And they come with a 7 year warranty. Not some cheap knock off drivers. The cheap knock off drivers produce to much waste as heat and defeat one of the best reasons for getting a LED. Mainly the lower amount of heat produced to the amount of light produced.

I dont see LEDs as a waste of money but a bigger price up front for a savings in the long term. But if you cant afford your nutes then you dont have the money to buy a better quality of LED light. Not for everyone but it still a great grow item if you can get a good quality LED.

There is a learning curve for sure. But if you are a good grower and willing to listen to advice from others who have grown with good quality of LEDs it is not much of a curve.

HIDs work for some but are not a fit for all. If HIDs work for you better than LEDs then sure they are a good bang for the buck.

For me LEDs are far superior in my grow compared to HID. HIDs are what I used for years. But they have been passed by LEDs for my grow.

Not everything works in every grow. Been that way since way before I started growing and will be long after I stop growing. But to say HIDs are the best bang for the buck is misleading. Just as saying LEDs are the best bang for the buck is misleading. To many variables to say that. Both must be fit into the right setting for them to be called the best bang for the buck.

Well Said...

packerfan79

Veteran
No I haven't spoken to Chris as of yet.... I'll give him a call and show him the result... For now ill be rebalancing the Ratios By hand.. I will say this mix is dead flat as far as PH Drift... Solid as can be and my plants have loved the change.. I'm also feeding 20% lower feeds and they look great... This is a big improvementement the V+B has always needed something in Veg.... Maybe I've hit paydirt... Only time will tell... I'm impressed thus far...

I agree it's lacking in veg. I used the foliar calcium additive, but it's a pain in my opinion. I do love the stable ph with v&b. It's not really an issue now. I 9nly make 5 gallons of feed at a time.

Aspenou812

Veteran
I decided a long time ago... That there is Basicly no point to me growing if I'm not chasing one thing and one thing only.... GENETIC EQUILIBRIUM....That's what I'm after here... I'm doubtful that I have the skills to get there at this point... It won't be that way for long... The skills are half of that battle... The other half is the invorment... At this point that is my focus... My invorment is holding me back... Weight and production take a back seat to Quality.... As long as I'm fighting invormental stress I won't be able to fully read the plants and further my knowledge in plant nutrition... Meaning ill simply never know exactly how good the plants are... I have the perfect shop... I need a lot of expensive equipment to get the DanPlan running... I'm going to run this room one more time before it gets gutted... Then ill have the funds to set up the first two rooms version 1... With Hlg Lights running 600+ at the wall... And co2... The rooms will continue being upgraded to the point where I can step away and not worry about what's going on in the rooms... Remote Climate control is in V4 of these plans V5 will involve nutrient docing.. I haven't got the model laid out yet because I'm having a hard time deciding on the best Systems for my needs the little pumps or a pressurised system using water to pull the buckets of nutrients... That's where my rooms are headed... I have an excessively busy lifestyle... I simply can't stop moving.. Those that know me know why... And its not by choice... I have a real need for every second in the day... Babysitting my Grow means less time on the water and less time I spend with Zoey... Its a work in progress version 1 will land in my lap in less than 14 weeks.... along with the 315 cmh v2 involves doing away with light trapping right angles in the room and the installation of Orca Film to maximise light intensity and spectrum bounce... Ill know by that point weather the 315's are needed... My layouts originally used the hlgv1... Hlg v2 with SmokinJoes drivers and other upgrades may mean they simply aren't needed... Win Win
The led lights will cost more but save my but in the dog days of summer... Using led lights is the only way I can cool more trays without dropping 3 k on a new minisplit...and doubling my summer power draw... Between each harvest I've learned more.. Upgraded as much as possible... And for my efforts I've increased quality and weight each and every time... And its about time to do just that again... With a Prepuituial my skill and experance level will come up quickly... I'm open to new ideas and trying new things... My room goal at this point is simple... Get the Version 1 and the first two rooms up and running By the end of summer.... I need my time having sealed rooms automated as much as they can be with the ability to remotely monitor them and make invormental changes... Thats priceless... And its the only way I can accomplish my goals growing.... I could honestly give two fucks what someone thinks about my modeling and long term planning... Plans change all the time... Seriously there is no need to hammer me with information assuming I just didn't know... I have to make the best choices for my Grow and plan accordingly... I know exactly where this is going.. I've been planning this out for 5 years... Getting there takes two things I'm short on... Time and money...peace

Aspenou812

Veteran
I agree it's lacking in veg. I used the foliar calcium additive, but it's a pain in my opinion. I do love the stable ph with v&b. It's not really an issue now. I 9nly make 5 gallons of feed at a time.

Ill give you my formula and mixing instructions after harvest if things go well...

Aspenou812

Veteran
I would tell you now but I want to see it working before I pass it on.... Besides if I told you now I'm positive someone here would go off the freaking deep end trying to explain it to me... Just how fucking wrong I was and all of that shit... Like I haven't done a drop of research... You know us Dumb Ass Blonds and all that shit.... SMH

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I would tell you now but I want to see it working before I pass it on.... Besides if I told you now I'm positive someone here would go off the freaking deep end trying to explain it to me... Just how fucking wrong I was and all of that shit... Like I haven't done a drop of research... You know us Dumb Ass Blonds and all that shit.... SMH

You like to swim come up here and swim in the lake during the winter. We call blonds like that frosted flakes around here.:moon:

packerfan79

Veteran

No worries, don't sweat the doubters. Do your thing and worry about the ones you love.

Aspenou812

Veteran
I thought forums were for sharing information? My bad.

Its all good... And good info... But I feel like you were making the assumption that I haven't bothered to weigh the pros and cons or even do a drop of research.... I tried to explain that I had it covered.. Did you do the numbers with the 315's... And what did they look like..... You haven't said a word about my fix to those issues... If they become issues... Why not? Is it because that would indeed do the trick... Man its like you were whipping a dead horse... You hit every angle you could to convince me.. And didn't allow me to tell you all the details... If you could get the discount I'm getting I assure you.... You would have made the Same choice.... Ill have those lights at about the cost of a Gavita... Didn't tell you that either.... Your cool man its all in your approach... I'm loving how you work the numbers honestly... I was trying not to share all that information openly.... But oh well... Peace

Aspenou812

Veteran
Ok Wall coverings... Mylar, Orca, reflextex what's your choice.... And why do you like it... Pros\Cons
Currently I have white paint and I'm looking for measurable differences...

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
I have had good luck using white metal roof panels. I like them because you can bleach them, scrub them, and spray them off without worry.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Have you seen Ganjourno's build Ichabod?

Link to thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=302421

IdRZhUg.jpg

MzSChH1.jpg