What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oaxaca 79

Irotas

Aww, I lost my Mextiza because I couldn't bring it inside fast enough. Guess I have to wait until 2017 for another Oaxacan cross because I cant find Mextiza in stock anywhere. Thanks for your work.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I highly doubt any Oaxacan or Oaxacan hybrid will be released through ACE.

I will share any interesting result of the testing with kaiki from CBG and let him take the decision of what to do with the line.

SpaceBros.

HT Magazine Spring 1975 smoke report

HT Magazine Spring 1975 smoke report

Here's a smoke report from HT magazine in Spring 1975

Oaxacan - has a minty taste and is also spicy. It tingles the taste buds. The minty taste allows the throat to stay open, which means you draw more smoke into your lungs without coughing it out. It's quite airy considering it's power.

I'm doing Nirvana's El Dorado (Oaxacan 12th generation backcross) now. Not sure how authentic it is. It's a bit of a broader leaf variety not a small thin leaf like I was hoping.

Is the '79 a highland gold or a pelo rojo variety?

Feel free to PM me if you need any official testers Dubi :)

B

bringyalungs

I believe a pure Oaxacan should be available, S1,S2,s3 firstly, then run the hybrids... We want that 12 fingers...

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Only then i will be able to decide what to do with them.
Being a S1 fem line unfortunately we have no males to reproduce the line in the traditional way in pure form, without modify its original genepool. The only way to keep its original genepool unaltered would be to reverse all the best females and open pollinate them to make a next S2 open pollinated generation.
Of course, there will be a high degree of inbreeding in this next type of generation, but there are also good chances to fix the healthier and more vigorous genes, and the more desirable flowering traits.

Other option would be to pollinate the oaxaca 79 with other oaxacan lines, although this also means some kind of outcrossing. A friend visited Oaxaca past year and brought me back seeds of different oaxacan sativas, he told me some were very good, but i haven't had the chance to explore them yet.

Another option would be to outcross Oaxaca with other interesting and highly worked central american lines like Guatemala, Panama, Tikal or Honduras, test the F1s and check which ones perform better, then maybe backcross the oaxacan F1s back to the pure oaxacan 79 females and then select for the best and most representative traits of the Oaxaca line in the backcrosses.

Your Oaxaca '79 (especially #12) looks very much like some Oaxacan seeds I was gifted several years back. Its been a long time since I grew them, but I remember it being a soaring and fantastic time.

I think outcrossing it to other Oaxacans sounds like it would be a great way to semi-preserve the line. Just as exciting is the potential in outcrossing to other central americans... these ideas are too awesome not to explore. :biggrin:

Grojak

I love music… I love weed…. I love weed in music… from the Grateful Deads "pride of cucamunga"

So I think I'll drift for old where it's at
Where the weed grows green and fine
And wrap myself around a bush
Of that bright whoa, oh, Oaxaca vine

Grojak

I love music… I love weed…. I love weed in music… from the Grateful Deads "pride of cucamunga"

So I think I'll drift for old where it's at
Where the weed grows green and fine
And wrap myself around a bush
Of that bright whoa, oh, Oaxaca vine

yoss33

Veteran
Happy new 2016, everyone! :)

Just looking for an update on these.
It seems 2016 will be yet another year without pure Oaxacan (or Oaxacan/sativa hybrid) seeds available, but I hope this selection will lead to a nice cross by Ace or Kaiki in 2017. Dubi's description of the smells is exactly what I've been looking for the last few years, keeping great memories of one plant of an Oaxacan cross (Nirvana's Royal Flush) which had such extremely-attractive flowery perfumey complex smell, great citric sweet taste and a high that I still consider the most emotional and positive one that I have smoked. It also showed me what the English saying 'to roll on the ground with laughter' literally means - I've never laughed like that (unless as a small kid), so much as not being able to stand on my feet and having to 'roll' on the ground. Clean yet strong, positive, complex spiritual effect. And with friends, plain giggly. The most mature buds on the plant had lost the special part of the effect. The best uplifting and spiritual effect was from the smaller not-so-mature buds, after at least a few months of curing.
Ace's Panama also has the good vibe, especially some phenos, but its effect is more "dense" and deep, more of a pleasant body feeling than pure spiritual joy. Some speedy phenos also, but they don't feel as pleasant.
Still looking for that clean emotional trippy high.

SpaceBros.

Just looking for an update on these.
It seems 2016 will be yet another year without pure Oaxacan (or Oaxacan/sativa hybrid) seeds available, but I hope this selection will lead to a nice cross by Ace or Kaiki in 2017. Dubi's description of the smells is exactly what I've been looking for the last few years, keeping great memories of one plant of an Oaxacan cross (Nirvana's Royal Flush) which had such extremely-attractive flowery perfumey complex smell, great citric sweet taste and a high that I still consider the most emotional and positive one that I have smoked. It also showed me what the English saying 'to roll on the ground with laughter' literally means - I've never laughed like that (unless as a small kid), so much as not being able to stand on my feet and having to 'roll' on the ground. Clean yet strong, positive, complex spiritual effect. And with friends, plain giggly. The most mature buds on the plant had lost the special part of the effect. The best uplifting and spiritual effect was from the smaller not-so-mature buds, after at least a few months of curing.
Ace's Panama also has the good vibe, especially some phenos, but its effect is more "dense" and deep, more of a pleasant body feeling than pure spiritual joy. Some speedy phenos also, but they don't feel as pleasant.

A few of us are running Nirvana's El Dorado (Oaxacan IBL). It's a wider leaf Sativa but the results look promising so far. Maybe give that a try while your waiting for the ACE/Cannabiogen Oaxacan release. I've linked the thread below:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=309804

I'll have to make sure I pull at least a couple branches of my El Dorado a little early to see if I can get the same positive and spiritual effect as you. Thanks for the tip :)

B

bringyalungs

@shoreline... what kind of mexicans you got? any giggling effects from your mexicans?

B

bringyalungs

lime green, is that the limon verde? what mexicans are you running now? any oaxacans?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
It also showed me what the English saying 'to roll on the ground with laughter' literally means - I've never laughed like that (unless as a small kid), so much as not being able to stand on my feet and having to 'roll' on the ground. Clean yet strong, positive, complex spiritual effect. And with friends, plain giggly. The most mature buds on the plant had lost the special part of the effect. The best uplifting and spiritual effect was from the smaller not-so-mature buds, after at least a few months of curing.

mexican of the highest quality ! brings back the the old days. god i miss that stuff

Hi,

This is the type of effect that i remember so fondly when i used to smoke my first mexicans many many years ago :) Laughing and laughing with friends until fall to the floor with tears in the eyes ... i really miss a lot these types of effects ... that's why is so important to explore and preserve the good pure american sativas.

Tikal is an improved american sativa hybrid with moderate flowering time, improved indoor adaptability and great strawberry woody incensey aromas that has those special funny american sativa effects.

Btw, i'm testing a bit the different pure oaxacans females and some of them are simply outstanding. Congrats to kaiki for preserving such interesting old mexican line, can't wait to share my best findings of the line with him :)

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
There seems to be more mutant plants coming out of Mexico in recent years. Is this because of indica hybrids being introduced? Are the lime green plants with eleven finger leaves better for making hybrids?

They grow fields of purple in north western Mexico, tastes identical to GDP. Maybe GDP is a purple Mexican? I have grown Mexicans that yielded like monsters, strong aphrodisiac effect, awesome taste, but not the giggles. The mexican that made your ears warm, munchies, and uncontrollable laughter became very rare by the mid nineties. I am searching for that, I suspect it will be in the tiny black round seeds. Mexican skunk is very potent also. I choose parents based on smell and high, not false lab THC results, like the "experts".

Hi shorelineOG,

I don't think it's related to the introduction of indica genetics. There are plenty of american sativa x indica hybrids and very few of them have strong mutant traits, DJ short lines are the exception.

Mutant traits could be a sign of excessive inbreeding or probably the parental plants used to produce the seeds had mutants traits, only the person that originally produced the weed and the seeds can confirm it.

The number of leaflets (fingers) is a growing trait and has little relationship with the possible effects, quality or chemistry of a plant. Maybe in a concrete line plants with certain leaf traits have more or less chances to produce a concrete desirable outcome , especially if you know well the line ....but cannot be generalized for the whole cannabis genepool, especially nowadays with the breeding of modern sativa/indica hybrids.

I'm not very familiarized with GDP, but by the look i bet has some purple indica genetics from the middle East.

The old good mexicans that produced 'uncontrollable laughter' were pure sativas, and they were different to the pure sativa colombians.
There are plenty of different mexican and colombian lines, but overall pure mexicans sativas were easier to grow, had more moderate flowering time and size, and were easier to adapt to indoor growing and outdoor growing in northern latitudes, while the colombians were usually bigger, took longer to flower and were more difficult to adapt indoors or to mature them properly outside the tropics.

Latest posts

Latest posts