What's new

Stem starting to crack where I main lined?

iSmokeDope710

attachment.php

View image in gallery

So I tied down some of her tops yesterday and I woke up this morning to see these cracks... I don't know if I put too much stress on her? Or what the problem is here.... Can anyone inform me?! Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 7

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I'm sure it's from mainlining at those extreme angles. Don't worry though, she'll recover and be fine. If you are worried about the splitting progressing then you can get some twist ties or pipe cleaners and wrap it around the stem kind of snug to keep the stem together. Every couple of days though you are going to want to readjust the tension on it to allow for stem growth.

:yes:

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Or stake the two branches splint-style from the base of each and 6" up the stem. The plant will heal itself. You just want to take the pressure of that joint and distribute it along the stem and anchor it to the ground with a stake.

That's my suggestion anyhow.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Bamboo stakes with twist ties, pipe cleaners, or floral tape. Just combined the 3 previous suggestions into one, hehe

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Bamboo stakes with twist ties, pipe cleaners, or floral tape. Just combined the 3 previous suggestions into one, hehe

I should have said this in the first post:

If you are topping plants like this user, and not preventatively staking, you are asking for problems such as these.

If you are going to top and pinch all BDSM style, tie the plant up and support it in the exact position you want the pant to grow in.

Sculpting and shaping plants is a great way to increase yield in smaller gardens, you just have to be thinking way ahead and planning out the look and shape of the finished plant before you start.

I'll often top a young plant back to the second node (four lateral shoots), and then clean up all remaining shoots and leaves. Plant 4 stakes midway from the centre, at points North, South, East and West on the pot (aka 3,6,9,12 O'Clock) and then forcefully train the shoots towards and up the stakes as they grow.

I like a 30-40 degree outward angle. If you simply keep tying the new growth of the plant along the stake as it grows, you will have a great looking plant to flip at about 18".

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
I don't have any floral tape. But I do have another type of tape that I use. I use blue painters tape. I'll take two pieces (or one long piece folded over) and press them together over the area that was broken/needing a little bracing. I think of it like a splint. It also adds as a reminder that it's a damaged branch when I'm strength training the branches.