What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ask the Hydro Store Guy!

Fiddynut

Watch the video I linked before you buy anything. Always try to avoid buying anything. The goal is to breed more active beneficials to add to the soil to increase your populations, controlling pathogens and increase nutrient cycling.

Wow that was eye opening. I had no idea that all that stuff had to be happening to make use of the organic nutes. I thought I could sub them for synthetics. It seems I have been starving my plants late in flower for the last couple weeks. Looks like I have a lot more reading and work to do if I want to get my soil up to the task of taking care of my plants. I'm going to watch and read more form her and others. If I can avoid problems with pests and deficiencies with the right soil life I'm in. Thanks a ton for pointing me in the right direction on this soil stuff. I've got a lot to learn.

BrainSellz

Veteran
Hello,
I managed an organic gardening and hydroponics store in Humboldt for over 5 years and I have been growing for more than 10.

Got a question for the guy who used to work behind the counter?
Ask me!

I've helped every type of grower, indoor and out, maximize their production while reducing their bottom line. It's fun helping passionate people.

Everyone is at their own stage of learning, your question can not be too big or too small and sometimes the answer can be really hard to find, or maybe even hard to ask. I learn the most while teaching because I am passionate about knowledge and the pursuit of it. There is always more for me to learn.

I will not be attending Burning Man this year, so this is my gift to give to a community. The gift of knowledge!

Help me hit 50 posts!
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=68666&pictureid=1632319&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
This is what I'm smoking. Papaya, Hydro under Cree CXB3070's.

Welcome. Tell us more about that Papaya. Looks fantastic. Mmm

Daubinks

Welcome. Tell us more about that Papaya. Looks fantastic. Mmm

Check my album for photos. Its a nice clean smoke, friend says it's great for pain. The pheno's are all over the place though, out of 16 seeds, some stretched, some sat squat, one made grape calyxes, and one smelled nothing like the rest.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
welcome to ICmag Daub :tiphat:

But like others have kinda suggested , instead of trying to help others grow (which 99% 0f us here do already ) why not give us the scoop on what equipment is best for us to work with . like what lasts longer & what is just shit . what stuff gets returned more often then not ...... things like that .
this is something that really needed ! its mostly a guessing game , especially for newbies in the industry !

i see your growing with LED's , give us the scoop on LED lighting & why you chose those over other types of lighting etc ......

sorry to say , but i know a few Hydro shop guys & none of them can answer even basic grow questions correctly :biggrin:

again sorry , but theres no way one person is going to be able to help in every aspect of growing ! theres to many mediums & styles that no one person will be an expert enough to be able to help everybody . thats why ICmag is such a great learning comunity , theres subforums & experts in each to answer any questions that would come up in thier style of growing . you have alot of equipment knowledge that could really help us better decide on what use for reliability .

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Can you describe some of your customers that stand out the most? Weirdest, most eccentric, loudest personalities, idiots, etc.?

Levitationofme

Tea Time?

Tea Time?

If you are in the happy frog, I would feed the Earth Juice per application rates and use actively aerated compost tea in place of plain water. Less is more.

Are you saying to use the teas instead of watering with plain water?
Interesting. Do you dilute?

I make tea once a week, but I can easily make it more often.

Daubinks

welcome to ICmag Daub :tiphat:

But like others have kinda suggested , instead of trying to help others grow (which 99% 0f us here do already ) why not give us the scoop on what equipment is best for us to work with . like what lasts longer & what is just shit . what stuff gets returned more often then not ...... things like that .
this is something that really needed ! its mostly a guessing game , especially for newbies in the industry !

i see your growing with LED's , give us the scoop on LED lighting & why you chose those over other types of lighting etc ......

sorry to say , but i know a few Hydro shop guys & none of them can answer even basic grow questions correctly :biggrin:

again sorry , but theres no way one person is going to be able to help in every aspect of growing ! theres to many mediums & styles that no one person will be an expert enough to be able to help everybody . thats why ICmag is such a great learning comunity , theres subforums & experts in each to answer any questions that would come up in thier style of growing . you have alot of equipment knowledge that could really help us better decide on what use for reliability .

I don't understand the catch 22 logic. So I guess I'll be damned if I do, because you asked questions that are going to help people.

I chose to use Cree COB LED's because of their efficacy and the sheer joy of the DIY adventure. I spent months researching them and gained tons of information from the pioneers such as SupraSPL, Growmau5 and Greengene. Main points are reduced heat dissipation and a lamp lifetime of 100,000 hours. On a spreadsheet the investment pays for itself within a year. I would not recommend DIY COB LED's to anyone until they do the research themselves, cuz a tool without understanding is bound to be misunderstood. Gavita's are the top of the line on the market if you have the ample space for the amount of heat the generate. Any opportunity I get to DIY instead of buy pre-made I will, unless the design is so nice, that I can't beat it.

The "hydro shop guy" is a pretty funny stereotype, I don't quite understand why everyone makes them their enemy and/or their silent competition. Every one of those guys or gals is just a person with a job. There are going to be smart ones and stupid ones. Sometimes having more talk than walk gets them a job. It's like saying I've never met a nice dog, so I don't believe they exist.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Hello,
I managed an organic gardening and hydroponics store in Humboldt for over 5 years and I have been growing for more than 10.

Got a question for the guy who used to work behind the counter?
Ask me!

I've helped every type of grower, indoor and out, maximize their production while reducing their bottom line. It's fun helping passionate people.

Everyone is at their own stage of learning, your question can not be too big or too small and sometimes the answer can be really hard to find, or maybe even hard to ask. I learn the most while teaching because I am passionate about knowledge and the pursuit of it. There is always more for me to learn.

I will not be attending Burning Man this year, so this is my gift to give to a community. The gift of knowledge!

Help me hit 50 posts!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=68666&pictureid=1632319View Image
This is what I'm smoking. Papaya, Hydro under Cree CXB3070's.

What readily available medical clone only strains are the first to trigger and finish full season there?

CoCoSativas

I don't understand the catch 22 logic. So I guess I'll be damned if I do, because you asked questions that are going to help people.

I chose to use Cree COB LED's because of their efficacy and the sheer joy of the DIY adventure. I spent months researching them and gained tons of information from the pioneers such as SupraSPL, Growmau5 and Greengene. Main points are reduced heat dissipation and a lamp lifetime of 100,000 hours. On a spreadsheet the investment pays for itself within a year. I would not recommend DIY COB LED's to anyone until they do the research themselves, cuz a tool without understanding is bound to be misunderstood. Gavita's are the top of the line on the market if you have the ample space for the amount of heat the generate. Any opportunity I get to DIY instead of buy pre-made I will, unless the design is so nice, that I can't beat it.

The "hydro shop guy" is a pretty funny stereotype, I don't quite understand why everyone makes them their enemy and/or their silent competition. Every one of those guys or gals is just a person with a job. There are going to be smart ones and stupid ones. Sometimes having more talk than walk gets them a job. It's like saying I've never met a nice dog, so I don't believe they exist.

If you have been in some of the hydro shops you wouldn't laugh at the stereotype.

My favorite shop is staffed by a bunch of stones convinced there have been zero advances in indoor horticulture in the past 2 decades...

:laughing:but true :laughing:l

You are right they are someone with a job. Like anywhere you go these days it's just a job and no one does it right...

I believe good hydro staff exist hell some of you might even grow :whip: but you are probably part of a very small percentage that give a shit about their work

B4URTIME

The only question I usually have for the guy behind the counter is ( What Do I Owe You Guy) the most sound advise I ever received was the price I owed.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
How much for that bottle of gravity stashed behind the counter and why you guys always try to rape my asshole?

Just a little humor ha.

CoCoSativas

How much for that bottle of gravity stashed behind the counter and why you guys always try to rape my asshole?

Just a little humor ha.

Industry standard pricing bro

While we are talking industry standard mine is well known for digging deep into wallets. Pay up or maybe we can work sometHong out with that cute wife of yours :whip:

Daubinks

Are you saying to use the teas instead of watering with plain water?
Interesting. Do you dilute?

I make tea once a week, but I can easily make it more often.

Only use the tea every watering if you are brewing it yourself with your own compost pile, otherwise it will get expensive.
I prefer to have living water no matter what I'm doing. So yeah, for me plain water is a living compost tea, but not one loaded with nutrients, just humic acid and microbes bred from the compost pile. I don't dilute because I brew a large batch and I don't make it too heavy on anything, I just give the beneficial microbes a happy place to thrive. Treating the water with humic acids before brewing also locks out the chlorine before it has a chance to get to the plants. This is just how I treat all the water that comes from the city, if I had a pond...

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Only use the tea every watering if you are brewing it yourself with your own compost pile, otherwise it will get expensive.
I prefer to have living water no matter what I'm doing. So yeah, for me plain water is a living compost tea, but not one loaded with nutrients, just humic acid and microbes bred from the compost pile. I don't dilute because I brew a large batch and I don't make it too heavy on anything, I just give the beneficial microbes a happy place to thrive. Treating the water with humic acids before brewing also locks out the chlorine before it has a chance to get to the plants. This is just how I treat all the water that comes from the city, if I had a pond...

Can you elaborate on how humid acids "lock" out chlorine? That's a new one..

CoCoSativas

Can you elaborate on how humid acids "lock" out chlorine? That's a new one..

:laughing: dont ya know it's hydro store guy science... ugh...

I heard someone had popcorn stuck between their shoulder and somewhere else and it was pointy... Probably a bit greazy too someone ought to help him out...

Levitationofme

Ok, thanks. Appreciate the answer

In my case i grow only a few plants for headstash. Brewing tea on the scale I will need wont be expensive. Plus im all about the end product. I use ancient forest humis, worm castings, organic blackstrap and R/O.
Ocassionally i put in some Fulpower Humic
To the mix.
I ph the tea before using.

Big yard at my house. Endless uses for tea.
None goes to waste.

Latest posts

Latest posts