What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fermented plant extracts

So will the lacto b's be suspend in the solution?? or do they form a distinct layer ?( I was thinking @ the bottom from the text on pg1 here)

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
pretty sure they are in the liquid. as that is what your supposed to use. mine dont really form a layer on the bottom. separated and then i go on with the next step.

Hmmm.. I was envisoning , say, a 1/2 inch layer of usable liquid on the bottom of the pitcher.
Seems I'm may have made a bit extra.

I'll just have to find more stuff to try it on.

Am I reading that correctly JK?- the entire liquid part is what I'm supposed to save and use??

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Am I reading that correctly JK?- the entire liquid part is what I'm supposed to save and use??"

yup then do the dilution steps for mother culture and then dilute again and apply. simple as that. im sure you can use a stronger mix on a compost pile with no ill effects. but really less is more with this type of stuff.

S

spiral

yo whats up. awsome thread! G33k I here ya, when I dilute my lacto down I'll have like 30 gal for a mother culture! WTF I'm gonna do with that I have no idea. So my question is how do I store this stuff. I'm thinkin the refridgerator, but do I have to add the molasses? Or is that just at room temp storage? JK thanks ALOT for your input, you cleared up so much stuff thanks.

MrFista

Veteran
Fridge storage pre-molasses has been good for a month. But I don't ghave a microscope to confirm that. It hasn't altered physically in looks or smell.

Adding this to CT..... Isn't there alcohol in this? alcohol kills bacteria fast.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So my question is how do I store this stuff. I'm thinkin the refridgerator, but do I have to add the molasses? Or is that just at room temp storage? JK thanks ALOT for your input, you cleared up so much stuff thanks.

to be honest i only use fresh stuff. being as you don't need to apply this all the time everytime. i only applied it once or twice every few months on the plants i tested them on, some even longer around the 6 month mark. and have seen nothing but positive results no matter what the application, but less is more with organics. and its easy to make fresh. just know you need to start it about 2 weeks before you use it, its just like anything else you would mix or make ahead of time. notes and a calender help a LOT.

there just needs to be a lacto thread, maybe ill make one and simplify the process. but everything you need is in the paragraph.

Fridge storage pre-molasses has been good for a month. But I don't ghave a microscope to confirm that. It hasn't altered physically in looks or smell.

Adding this to CT..... Isn't there alcohol in this? alcohol kills bacteria fast.

when i forgot about one bottle. the only one i messed up. well i used it then put aside and got stoned. anyways after some time the bottle started sucking itself in. i threw it out on the pavement to sundry didn't use it. i didn't have it in the fridge though, only a cool closet.

dunno bout the alcohol %(it doesnt really smell alcoholic imo). but if there is some it gets diluted so much i doubt it has ill effects to the growing populations of microbes.

S

spiral

Thanks for the answers guys! guess next time I'll just scale it down ALOT. I love Fpe's
there so easy to make. I always seem to have a habit of making way to much. Thanks again.@

E

EatCannabisRaw

i just throw all fruit and veggies scraps directly onto soil in my garden. i let all the bugs and whatever just digest it into the soil. my plants are awesome. grew huge watermelons from one single plant... the herbs are super mineralized.

neongreen

Veteran
Great thread sophisto. I'm still absorbing/digesting all the info here. I'll have to read it again I think!

Rhizobium Nitrogen-Fixing Bacteria

One of the most popular nitrogen-fixing bacteria is rhizobium. It is amazing that when we coat our legumes with these specific bacteria, legumes grow well and more nitrogen is fixed on the soil. Amazingly enough, basic culture of these beneficial bacteria is simple. Once we have seen those nodules created by the bacteria fixing nitrogen on the roots of the legumes, we can assume that there are lots of these rhizobia and nitrogen fixed. Just pull out the legumes plants on a very specific stage, especially towards their flowering/fruiting stage. A simple method of culture is simply get the soil with these leguminous bacteria and mix with crude sugar with equal ratio of crude sugar. Rhizobium bacteria will proliferate feeding on the sugar and thus can be mixed with your next batch of legume seeds for inoculation.

I can't remember where, but I recently read that only specific rhizobia can form a symbiotic relationship with specific legumes, so inoculating peas with rhizobia collected from clover probably won't work.

A better bet would be to inoculate with rhizobia collected from the same family of legumes as that which you intend to inoculate.

I'm not sure how specific the rhizobia are between related legumes - ie is a single species of rhizobia capable of forming symbiotic relationships with all the pea verities? If I find some more info I'll post here.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If I can ask,

-how long is alfalfa tea good for when you make it?
-how much do you use per gallon for veg of the fermented "tea" ?
-is there a general rule how much alfalfa to use per gallon when making the fermented tea?

thanks for any info

I bought some EM-1 and am excited to try that out, also is there a better version to buy as I read the photosensetive microbes got changed or something like that???

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone tried using a cannabis plant for their extract?

when i have tested this, i was doing it for the beneficial microbes more than nutrients. only use the healthiest of specimens, preferably ones with tolerances that are desired( pest resistance, mold resistance, etc...) i wouldn't suggest anything normal or sub par.

-how long is alfalfa tea good for when you make it?

most of the time it gets used before it goes bad, a few months from personal experience. though if not kept in check, it can be a breeding ground for mosquitoes.

-how much do you use per gallon for veg of the fermented "tea" ?

to get the full "fermentation" process you really need to add a sugar source. though they will slow ferment without one and become a nutrient tea. even with a very dilute amount ( i use honey ) will show faster and more complete breakdown of material.

-is there a general rule how much alfalfa to use per gallon when making the fermented tea?

just know the more you add and the longer it sits, the stronger it is and the more you have to dilute. as a close guide id say 1 cup per gallon is a start. though i dont measure anything.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
jaykush

Thanks for the information.

I have another question about comfrey teas in general as well as using it for the FPE process.

I bought this variety, Russian Comfrey at local seed & plant source. It's only about $1.00 for each 12 inches of root - seems fair enough.

Is this the right variety to make the comfrey teas that you've mentioned on this board? What do you think about using these leaves in a FPE?

Thanks for any input.

CC

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey coot. that comfrey will work, the only problem with it. is it goes to seed. and those seeds will spread and become so invasive. pretty much where you plant comfrey or a seed grows its permanent. the best variety to get is bocking 14. its a sterile cultivar and can only be multiplied by root cutting, which is VERY easy if you want to. an established patch can be cut 3-4 times a year and provide a ton of fertilizer.

there is actually a better trick for comfrey than fpe. take a soda bottle, stuff it with comfrey as much as you can. poke some holes in the bottom and some in the lid. then turn it upside down and stuff that into a bottle with a slightly wider mouth. the comfrey will break down into this blackish thick liquid and collect in the bottom bottle. dilute and apply you got comfrey extract. GREAT for flowering.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
that is where i got my comfrey from, to this day ive turned the 5 i ordered and the 6 they gave me into a few dozen for me( all i need, most will only need 2 maybe 3 at the most), gave some away ( lots actually cant even count ).

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
jaykush

I didn't realize until I placed my order that this supplier is down in Williams, Oregon which is just a hop, skip, and a jump from Wonder, Oregon.

Williams & Wonder, Oregon

Heh..........

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
then it should get there in a hop skip and a jump :) . youll be growin comfrey in no time. and free flowering ferts not too long after.

Latest posts

Latest posts