What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

We grow vegetable gardens too! Post your Garden pics here

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Harvest Tips
You may begin harvesting new potatoes six to eight weeks after planting when tubers are 1 to 2 inches in diameter by carefully digging next to stems with a small fork. Wait for the main harvest until plant tops start to die back on their own. For storage, cure undamaged, harvested tubers by placing them in a dark humid location at 65° to 70°F for two weeks. For long-term storage, place cured tubers in the dark at 40° to 50°F. At colder temperatures, potatoes may become sugary.

captain planet

Veteran
Howdy Bio and veggie gang! B these are 2 of my favorite books, the one on the left is the one I was talking about before
picture.php

OrganicBuds

Veteran
I would love to see what others say are good gardening books. I am about to make an Amazon order so I would love to add some books as well. Thanks guys.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lets get growing,one of the rodale books lays it all out nice and simple.
and finding good regional books is very helpful when finding out about your local soil types and what to do with them.

Hazy Eye

Unlike most other plants tomatoes can grow new roots out of the stem so should be buried deeper than the soil level is in the pot they came in. This will ensure a strong root structure and a vigorous tomato plant. Tomatoes will occasionally grow “sucker” branches out of the crotch in the stem where a branch has already formed. These should be removed as they will not flower and produce fruit. Water tomato plants CONSISTANTLY. This means working with Mother Nature and knowing how much moisture is in the ground from rain or lost from evaporation on hot days. Inconsistent watering will cause cracking and deformed fruit. http://www.nicksgardencenter.com/plants/garden-table/fruits-and-vegetable/home-grown-fruits-and-veggies.html

I found this while looking at a local Garden Center and thought it was relevant to what was said here. I also cleaned up a few suckers on my plants.

Bio~ The garden was tilled by my buddy, that also brought the load of manure & hay a couple months ago. No Sir, I am clearly not a "badass". I have to work in short shifts of 5-15 minutes at a time and then rest for awhile or I'll be done in less than an hour. It makes for slow progress but I can only do what I can do. My partner that helps me out is awesome. Dude works like a horse and he's 12yrs older than me at 54.
Don't ever feel like you're talking down to me, I welcome all of the knowledge that you're willing to offer. Your results speak volumes.
This is the first year I'm really trying to be serious about my veggie garden and I couldn't ask for a better place to go for advice than right here. You guys are a wealth of knowledge.

CP~ Case in point. I obviously need to invest in a few of these books. :tiphat:

I went into the jungle of weeds that my neighbor calls a back yard to chop an overhanging dead branch and found a corner of old leaves that probably sat for 2 years.

I took 3 wheelbarrows full from here.

I went to the other corner and found even more, older stuff and took another 5 or so.
I am using it to mulch some and also in some other beds as an amendment.
I made a compost bin out of an old bed frame and will use it in there as well to get that fired up.

I made this little raised bed and threw a wheelbarrow full in here too. I'm making a trip to the garden center this afternoon to pick stuff out for this area. I'm seriously considering moving my little blueberry bush in there and amending it with a bag of pete in the smaller end. Research has shown that is what I need to do. Although I do think I got the acidity right finally and she is starting to take off now. Even if I leave it where it's at I'm gonna dig it up and throw a bag of pete under it.

Last edited:

Hazy Eye

Here's the lil' blu-burry bush. A bag of peet will be under her later this evening.
And here's a plant the Missus planted that is pretty cool: Pineapple Sage. Smells just like pineapple.

I'm also gonna try to root some cuts off of the lilac. I took 3 cuts off of the tomatoes and stuck 'em in a cup of perilite and ocean farm and they are doing great. I'm trying the bucket o' water on these lilac branches.

I hope everyone is smoking on good herb and the gardens all happy.
That's where I'm at with my veggie garden for now. I'm spending all of my time and energy on getting my stuff lined out. I don't feel like it will ever end.
Work to do...

Hazy Eye

One other thing...
do you suggest I get seeds, starts or just plant an old spud with eyes on it?
Is that what you do and if so, some guidance perhaps?
I read some things about that not working too well because of stuff they treat them with. *shrugs*
I plan on asking at the garden center and I know they'll try to sell me something. Maybe someone will catch this before that and save me a few bucks because the ones in the pantry will work. :tiphat:

captain planet

Veteran
Google seed potatoes..... Kinda like onion starts or garlic, if you buy your "eating " ones from a local small farm then your prob. Good, but I would stay away from commercially grown taters :) I have yet to do any

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Thank you all for posting. Great pics to share people. Like most men, I am visual. The pictures are nice to illustrate what your explaining for sure.

Cap- like the books and that is the first I have seen of the story books. I have volumes on marijuana horticulture and have read them all and employ that info to gardening. I have the sunset book, which answers any question we may have as to species etc., Other than that I pick the peoples brains that have hit the 70 year mark as they store volumes. This old dude showed me a trick for pollinating tomatoes that was cool. You take a chicken feather and tie it to the end of a stick. Walk up and down the tomato row gently rubbing each set of flowers, ensuring great pollination.

Hazy- Thanks for posting. The leaf litter and soil/mulch you are getting free is killer. Nice to have a buddy you can trust to give you a hand. As for seed potatoes I ran potatoes I had purchased from the store for several years. This year I splurged and bought 10$ worth of red and yellow seed potatoes. I honestly cannot tell the difference physically between the two. We will see how the seed potatoes perform. They do seem to be doing good this year but they did really well with store bought potatoes. So if you plant potatoes there is only need to buy them once as you just keep using successive generations of potatoes as seed for the next year. I would buy seed potatoes this year and then vow to never buy again as it is too easy to make your own. Also let us know how the Lilac propagation goes. Happy farming. Things are coming together quite nice for you.

Mr. Sterling- Thank you for stopping in. Thank you also for keeping things tidy in the gardening forum.

Organic Buds and Unclefishtick- thanks for coming in, your posts are always appreciated.

Hope everyone else who stopped by is enjoying the thread.

CoMedUsr

Great stuff y'all~!

I'm reading a couple books right now:

Organic Gardening in Cold Climates
Gaia's Garden
The Ult. Guide to Permaculture (Faires)

I'm reading a couple more online but I don't have a tablet and like real books..! Will try to take photos tonight or tomorrow am

:wave:

CoMedUsr

:0

:0

Loving these Mizuna, bok choy, spinach greens, etc!

Attachments

• midjunegreens1.jpg
    midjunegreens1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 19
  • midJunegreens2.jpg
    midJunegreens2.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 20
  • midJunewatering.jpg
    midJunewatering.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 16
  • radishbedmidJune.jpg
    radishbedmidJune.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 17
  • compost1.jpg
    compost1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 18

CoMedUsr

forgot the comfrey photo~

forgot the comfrey photo~

Okie dokie..pokie smokie.

So, a side note: I hooked up with a doctor of entomology and she told me all about the bugs/fungus in my yarden when we weren't heating the sheets up. My bed is now a bit lonelier now she's gone...;-)

About the compost, it's hard to tell but the bottom half is getting really nice. I'm hoping to use everything asap so we'll see how it goes!

Books I have pdfs of but don't enjoy reading on a computer:

sepp holzer - permaculture--a practical guide to small-scale, integrative farming and gardening

Teaming with Microbes (1st ed)

Edible Forest Gardens: Vol. 1 & 2

Guerilla Gardening: Urban Permaculture

Btw, thanks for the great thread & camaraderie everyone!!

ps what do you all think of the info in the comfrey brochure?

Attachments

• homicidal_cactus.jpg
    homicidal_cactus.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 16
  • comfreyhorizonherbs.jpg
    comfreyhorizonherbs.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 18
  • radish1.jpg
    radish1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Insect Info!!.txt
    4 KB · Views: 37
  • Comfrey_Brochure.pdf
    183.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Excellent CoMed. That sounds like a great lineup of books. Prefer a book myself as well.

Your vegies and dirt are baddass! Beets already, nice. Didnt do any beets this year because there is 3 cases in the pantry. All pickled though. Should start a short row for some fresh.

So heres a lineup of the most recent pictures from the garden-

CORN
picture.php
picture.php

FRUIT TREES WITH COVER CROP OF SALAD AND TOMATOE NO WASTED SPACE............
picture.php

SHOT OF THE TOMATOES NEXT TO THE POTATOES
picture.php

Biosynthesis

Veteran
BROCCLI

BROCCLI

HERES THE BROCCOLI LAST MONTH SHORTLY AFTER IT WENT IN
picture.php

AND THE BROCCOLI YESTERDAY EVENING
picture.php
:peacock:

STAY TUNED FOLKS! IT ONLY GETS BETTER. THE GARDEN PEEKS IN AUGUST. SHOULD BE A GREAT SIGHT. THANKS TO YOU FOLKS THIS IS GOING TO BE A VERY BADDASS GARDEN THIS YEAR. THANKS FOR THE UPS ALL! THE PLANTS ARE DIGGIN IT.........................

captain planet

Veteran
Damn Bio! Nice squash
Hey I figured if a pic is worth a thousand words, a pic of a book must be .... Worth alot more :)
Urban permaculture? That book sounds interesting!

Latest posts

Latest posts