What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Deep Chunk

Colina

This one is for all the folks who just picked up Brother Monks HTC Deep Chunk for the ICMag 420cup fundraiser. Pics from TomHill.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Deep Chunk.

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
I know its a low yielder, but man oh man, i would love to have that girl in my garden! My buddy had a deep chunk male he brought back from norcal and crossed it to love potion #1 (a.k.a. lemon g). He calls it the "hindu death potion". Ill just say purple lemons are very tasty!

Colina

In my opinion, it is low yielding because it is pure oldtimey and the way it was. Just as Rob Clarke described it back in the day (79?) "resinous leafy balls" (Monkey Balls) on a short stanky plant. Folks are comparing her to hybrids that they are confusing (by way of breeders wishful descriptions) as pure indicas and well, that's not quite fair.:noway: They'll need to take her out to a long tall sally once before they'll reach the yield of the "pure" indicas that they are accustomed to.

Let's recap, the followig was written by Robert Connell Clarke in Marijuana Botany

c) Hindu Kush Range - Cannabis indica (Afghanistan and Pakistan) - (30 to 37 north latitude)

This strain from the foothills (up to 3,200 meters [10,000 feetj) of the Hindu Kush range is grown in small rural gardens, as it has been for hundreds of years, and is used primarily for the production of hashish. In these areas hashish is usually made from the resins covering the pistil late calyxes and associated leaflets. These resins are re moved by shaking and crushing the flowering tops over a silk screen and collecting the dusty resins that fall off the plants. Adulteration and pressing usually follow in the production of commercial hashish. Strains from this area are often used as type examples for Cannabis indica. Early maturation and the belief by clandestine cultivators that this strain may be exempt from laws controlling Cannabis sativa and indeed may be legal, has resulted in its proliferation throughout domestic populations of "drug" Cannabis. Names such as "hash plant" and "skunk weed" typify its acrid aroma reminiscent of "primo" hashish from the high valleys near Mazar-i-Sharif, Chitral, and Kandahar in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

This strain is characterized by short, broad plants with thick, brittle woody stems and short internodes. The main stalk is usually only four to six feet tall, but the relatively unbranched primary limbs usually grow in an upright fashion until they are nearly as tall as the central stalk and form a sort of upside-down conical shape. These strains are of medium size, with dark green leaves having 5 to 9 very wide, coarsely serrated leaflets in a circular array. The lower leaf surface is often lighter in color than the upper surface. These leaves have so few broad coarse leaflets that they are often compared to a maple leaf. Floral clusters are dense and appear along the entire length of the primary limbs as very resinous leafy balls. Most plants produce flowering clusters with a low calyx-to-leaf ratio, but the inner leaves associated with the calyxes are usually liberally encrusted with resin. Early maturation and extreme resin production is characteristic of these strains. This may be the result of acclimatization to northern temperate latitudes and selection for hashish production. The acrid smell associated with strains from the Hindu Kush appears very early in the seedling stage of both staminate and pistillate individuals and continues throughout the life of the plant. Sweet aromas do often develop but this strain usually loses the sweet fragrance early, along with the clear, cerebral psychoactivity.

Short stature, early maturation, and high resin production make Hindu Kush strains very desirable for hybridizing and indeed they have met with great popularity. The gene pool of imported Hindu Kush strains seems to be dominant for these desirable characteristics and they seem readily passed on to the F1 hybrid generation. A fine hybrid may result from crossing a Hindu Kush variety with a late-maturing, tall, sweet strain from Thailand, India, or Nepal. This produces hybrid offspring of short stature, high resin content, early maturation, and sweet taste that will mature high quality flowers in northern climates. Many hybrid crosses of this type are made each year and are currently cultivated in many areas of North America. Hindu Kush seeds are usually large, round, and dark grey or black in coloring with some mottling.

End quote.

Nothing has changed. That ^^^^^^^ is Deep Chunk to a "T"...

Beautiful Beautiful Genetics, and ALLUV for the Breeder and Keeper's of this Masterpiece! Unforgettable...

Here's my Gal, Hope ya don't mind me Puttin her up in your thread Colina...

46271IMG_2270.JPG

46271IMG_2413.JPG

She is pretty but, i can't say she's as pretty as the pheno shown above, She has her own Lovely Funk that i will never forget, and/or let go...

Peace and Harmony Please..... B

BENJI

Between the Devil and the deep blue sea...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Awesome pics colina and thebandit777 looks like im in for a real treat and from those pics
its money well spent just wondering brother monks are f2's of tom's gear right?

Colina

Hola Benji,

Brother Monk and HTC got seeds from original stock. Together you guys are continuing a tradition that has been caried out for "hundreds of years", follow the resin my friend. They are not f2's, this is a pure line.

XyZ

Trichomnia
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yup DeepChunk f2 doesn't exist because it was never an f1 hybrid. you can make skunk/chunk f2's or anything that was hybridized ...but the next generation from a pure afghani is definitely not counting with f2,f3... only noobs do that :D

and the plant on Tom pics is a well-selected keeper ..not just a random plant from a pack of seed... so selection is a must in this line. most plants have average qualities but individuals can be called a truE hashplant.

BENJI

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Awesome colina ive been hunting these beans 4 ages same with the PTK...
Cant wait 4 em posted my order off 2day... u mean pure line as its never been crossed a pure landrace in other words? Im pretty damn excited 315us$ they went for my girlfriend thinks im crazy but i know its going to blow my mind in every aspect growing/breeding/smoking...
how long does she flower 4 and are there phenos in a pure line?

Benji, you are a very lucky Fella, you will be rewarded with some of the most beautiful Buds in History... I mean that...

My Clone was a Labled "Purple Monkey Balls" and was given to me by a well known Grower and breeder in Mendocino Cali... This gentleman is good friends with Mr Hill, and I have asked the man that gave this cut to me if it is a Deep CHunk, and he replied that it was a rare pheno that came from a pack of seeds of Deep Chunk, For the longest time I posted pics on this site while I grew it outthe first time, he happened to be busy with the Pres. Campain stuff and I couldn't get a hold of him, and many folks on this site also added that it could be a Cross of deep Chunk or very close related (or a rare pheno)... So once i was able to get a hold of My friend in Mendo, he finally told me what he knew about it and said he has had it for many years, and that it was one of his favorites due to the Raw Power of it to help him eat and sleep.. It's true too, she is and Strong Gal and very beneficial...

I my self would Love to afford a pack of Deep Chunk seeds, but I can't at the moment.... a couple months later if they would be available I would have jumped on them for sure, biut anyways, for me, I would want that pheno in the Pics there that Colina posted or one like the HTC pics show sometimes, I lkike this one I have but I want every one there is:yoinks:...

Any who, I kinda feel bad I posted my Half ass pics right after those Masterpieces, it almost like it just doesn't get any better than that... WOW...

Good Luck with your beans Benji, please let us know how it goes brother... Blessings

Peace and Harmony Please!:abduct:

BENJI

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Thebandit777 looks like im going to hafto do alot of reading and research on the growing aspect of this little beauty because i want everything to run 100% no mistakes allowed this by the looks of it this is my holy grail of indicas, by the way i wouldnt be ashamed of those pics cause i know alot of people who would kill 4 that girl in their garden right now!! So i am truely honered to be blessed with this strain...
Thanks 2 BROTHER MONK and GYPSY 4 making this happen!!! Peace...

Reactions: ost

Colina

Hi again Benji,

Yes, it's pure, from Afghan stock, and in my opinion better than plenty of what folks are bringing back from the region today.

If you have a mind to breed Benji I salute you and advise that you proceed directly to an open pollination round without even looking at the first generation. Let pollen fly and make lots of seed.

Of course there are differing phenotypes to be found. I've seen it argued otherwise when folks were trying to justify a low number in selection but that is all nonsense. You'll see everything from skunk to pine to grapefruit to cocoa and hash in this line and that is only regarding flavor. Different genotypes abound considering the age of this line and it is far and away from a plant suffering inbreeding depression like I've seen some try to make her out as. If you ask me, it's just a unique plant (^^^ absolutely true to type) that is simply outside their previous realm of experience. Lots of older heads remember plants like this when they first started showing up in the 70's, how wonderfully bizarre strange and different they were. Most of them went the way of the high quality sativas and got gobbled up by hybrids only to exist today as a memory - this one survived.

If you look around the boards you'll see folks taking her way too long in flower. Listen to Mr. Clarke for he is on the money regarding the following, this plant looses its cerebral psychoactivity and flavor (it all goes to hash) if you let her go too long. In my opinion the plant should be flowered for about 60 days, tops. You'll see plenty of folks dissing her worth after ruining her with 75 days of flower - for purple I guess, a shame in my opinion. Rock on brother, and welcome to the DC club.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
your on the right track benji,,,,,,im defo gona get a pack of DC asap....

is it me,,,or are they imposible to find...??

is Tom going to be selling any seeds?

BENJI

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey thanks Colina 4 the advice i strickly bought this with breeding in mind with that being said i hope 2 make many many beans and share as others have done... My first lot will be sent in for nothing just like BROTHER MONK has...

Colina Has it right, it was my first time growing her and I did let her go to 68 days i think.. Well the 4 that I did I let them go 68 days.. But I did take a branch off them at about 58 days or so and as I look back and think of what Colina is saying, he/she is right, it was better, and I also remember the flavor it was different, but in regards to the flavor I liked the flavor better on the later ones, it is very hashy almost Choclatey IMHO.. Luckily i still have some nuggets of her and I am gonna Puff me some of that tomorrow eavening.... and really pay close attention to the high and flavors, and what Colina said...

I am excited for you Benji, and I wish you the very best in your Future breeding project(s) with all your strains in your stable... Lord Bless.. and thanks for going all out and getting those beans man...Peace and Harmony Please....

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the DC is a wonderfull creation of nature....very stout resinous plant....mine where a bitch to veg though,very slow...but it made up afterwards.....here's some pix of the DC TH+1 or +2 i got from my mate in danmark ...you know who you re :wink:

i got a small Q though....is it normal that they trow nanners coz of the landrace thing or should they be a stable line....??

picture.php

XyZ

Trichomnia
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hmm nice chunky pix Core ...cant see nanners there... have u found any?

this should be very very rare in the dc line. i never saw any and we grew over 100 seeds last years indoors, and at least the same number in the outdoorz. the dc i send to denmark were the fn+2 generation ...think Esbe or Maffe had a little nanner if i remember well... so if he used this plant for in-or-out crossing, than the hermie potential was probably passed in the next generation

XyZ

Trichomnia
ICMag Donor
Veteran
btw the DC is not only a creation of nature, Tom hands played a big role in the potency selection, he worked the line for more resin than a pure Afghani needs to survive in the wild nature'

BENJI

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The more i hear about DC the more i like it a simply amazing plant!!

whodair

Veteran
benji

you're always running the top strains and this is no exception. cant wait to see your results.

Latest posts

Latest posts