What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stuck Again.... Sigh. How do you unstick glass on glass?

L

LolaGal

I even oiled my joints with olive oil, but can not get the downstem out of the bong again.

Tried hot female joint, cold downstem, tugged, pulled... shit.

I wish this would quit happening.

sounds like the rubber seal melted on the stem. try putting the whole thing under really hot hot hot water it should come loose. When you do get it out oil the rubber gromet before you put the stem back in. hope that helps

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cw i believe shes talking glass on glass....
they are prone to stick sometimes.

lola you ever do 'the twist'?

immaculate

I had that happen the other day...when I knocked the binger over...(uh oh)..all was cool though. Not gonna lie, I used a pair of pliers and carefully twisted it loose. Just don't squeeze too hard and shatter the downstem I guess. Do the "twist" out if you can. Use a shirttail or rag to get a better grip. Is the binger clean? Sometimes the smallest amount of sticky resin can get on there and cause a major stick.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Stuck Again.... Sigh. How do you unstick glass on glass?

I thought of some things you could try. you could freeze it maybe. you could soak it pure ph up. you could soak it in draino.....

i have had the same problem. I got the bowl out when I got frustrated, and glass on glass became glass on cement lol

L

LolaGal

sounds like the rubber seal melted on the stem. try putting the whole thing under really hot hot hot water it should come loose. When you do get it out oil the rubber gromet before you put the stem back in. hope that helps

Heehee, you must be part 'tard! :)

Yes, glass on glass stuck... not rubber.

Yeah, Ya'll, I been twisting and icing and heating and oiling, to no avail.... and I can't clean my bong and refill it till I get the downstem out... dammit... (rabble rabble)

I cleaned it two sessions ago, put new olive oil on the joints, thought I was being sooooo clever, to avoid sticking...

rabble, rabble, rabble.....

be careful trying to get it out Lola. once you do, put a dab of vegetable oil on the male and female joint. this way it will stay lubed up and probably wont stick next time.

EDIT:

ok, i see you know this.

...ive got nothing now LOL

zomg1

wow, lots of terrible ideas in here.... freeze a bong?? pliers on glass?? soaking in draino??

i'd say your best bet would be the really hot water for a bit then trying to twist it loose (with your fingers not pliers), the hot water might loosen up the resin a bit

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
I have had this happen way too many times to me

Only thing that worked was when I heated it up, then wrapped a small hot towel around it tightly so the "force" of tugging was not all in one spot then slowly tried to go left/right with just a LITTLE bit of up force.

also try soaping the bong up then use the wrap the stem deal but get a ton of soap around the area if possible.

a deep soak in hot hot soapy water works wonders. I guess the size tolerance on glass and glass can be hit and miss especially in bulk. If there is shit resin in between that needs to heat up ALOT to get it soft.

L

LolaGal

Popped!

Popped!

well, goood news, bad news.

thanks for the help. that durn thing finally came apart.

I do not see how it happened, but the joints are dry! dry! dry!

I guess they stuck but how? don't make no sense.

oh the bad news is that when the downstem suddenly flew out of the bong, it chipped the female joint at the top....

damn damn ... oh well, it is only a chip, but this is a great bong, I love it so.

thank you all so much, except for you Crispy Waffle, lol. :biglaugh: hahaha j/k j/k

johnny butt

Try using baby oil instead of vegetable oil to grease up your joints. I've never had a problem that way.

Either that or stop slamming the bowl down into the downstem and be gentle!!

Glad you got it out lola.

JB

I only use bees wax, oil dries out believe it or not... rub a very thin layer on then warm it up, after a few tokes, the wax spreads evenly on the ground glass joint, it is like a clear grease after a week... and thus prevents stickage.

also, before i found wax, i noticed that rocking the bowl or diffuser loose works better than twisting. it's not threaded, and ground glass joints will sometimes grind tighter when twisted, better chance of a whoops.

L

LolaGal

OK, will try baby oil, but all I have is scented, don't want to smoke it!

thanks ya'll!

L

LolaGal

i have bees wax from the bee hive, will that work OK, no honey on it anymore...

that should solve this problem, right there.. WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

Yippie!

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Last time mine got stuck I tried the hot a cold thing to no avail. So I took my orbital sander with just foam pad and lightly touched the base of the neck. I gave a slight twist and tugging action and finally it came out.

That sounded soooo dirty

:D
Smiley

immaculate

Interesting. It's the rough sandblasted edges just wedging themselves together...again, I've also seen it happen because of resin. Glad you got it out! I would have used rubbing alcohol & epsom salt first. I don't know how I fell about "lubing my joints" as far as smoking glass goes..never had any severe issues with GoG...I've heard though that you are barely supposed to place the parts together, don't twist them in or let them fall in hard. Peace.

L

LolaGal

The joints feel smooth to the touch, when I oiled them and cleaned everything.

I tried alcohol and salt first thing, then ice/heat, then oil.

Then it just finally popped out when I stuck a chopstick down the downstem, wedged it a lil bit and then pulled up. There was just enough pressure to the bottom of the downstem, I suppose, that it just shot out.

The joints were dry as a bone. don't know why? they were well oiled and everything was coming apart just fine earlier in the day.

but it did chip the female joint of the bong a little bit. but it is better than not being able to clean it and refill it.

Molson

For next time, if oil does not work, try tapping the joints ever so gently (really carefully) on the edge of a counter top or similar. Then try pulling them apart. This is what we do in the lab when flasks and whatnot get stuck together.

Latest posts

Latest posts