Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > Growroom Lighting > DIY LED Resource Thread: Recommendations, Ideas, Links, Tips, Tricks, Grows and More!

Thread Title Search
Click for quality CMH grow lights at Ceramic Solutions!
DIY LED Resource Thread: Recommendations, Ideas, Links, Tips, Tricks, Grows and More! Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2019, 05:38 AM #21
Douglas.Curtis
Autistic Diplomat in Training

Douglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond repute
Now that's scrappin! Good job.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

Old 03-13-2019, 06:31 AM #22
f-e

f-e has disabled reputation
Oh.. I'm quite excited. Look at the 9 lamp splitter aimed at the 14w growers. Look in the top at the locknuts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-9-in-1-...fqW40mBZIELo8w

My heads just swimming with ideas right now. I having thoughts between keystrokes.
f-e is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:00 PM #23
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond repute
Now that one has options, good call.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:54 AM #24
f-e

I may take out the middle lamp, then drill a large hole where is was. Then fit a chimney stack.

Unlike HID's that loose most of their heat by radiating it, Led's loose most of their heat through convection. If I can get that stack working, then most of the heat will be straight up that tube and out at high level, where a carbon is busy vacuuming out the space.

Perhaps the chimney driven by such low heat, will react more to air currents in the room. But I would like to see. If/when it fails, I can swap my chimney for duct, and take it all the way to the filter.

I reckon that's it. 4 groups of 8 per meter. Likely in pairs, screwed to a suspended 60cm long batten. Of if your tent is 2x1 then two battens 1.6 meters long, with 4 groups on each.

Led charts show no IR emission, but your hand tells you it's just theoretical. They do get hot, and hot things radiate heat. It just is. However, air cooled led fittings do work very well. Much better than water cooling hid's I found. It really is getting closer to cold lights.
f-e is offline Quote

Old 03-14-2019, 06:18 AM #25
bsgospel

bsgospel is a name known to allbsgospel is a name known to allbsgospel is a name known to allbsgospel is a name known to allbsgospel is a name known to allbsgospel is a name known to allbsgospel is a name known to allbsgospel is a name known to allbsgospel is a name known to allbsgospel is a name known to allbsgospel is a name known to all
I've received splitters like that and they are so small it's ridiculous. Also as a matter of heat and draw from the wall, I've been adapting them with 14 wire and replacing the 18 they come with. And for safety adding a ground as well. For just one of those, you've got to have a Reiko sized cabinet but any larger you have to double up or break the brackets up and re-arrange them.
bsgospel is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:45 PM #26
Platinumtitty

Platinumtitty will become famous soon enoughPlatinumtitty will become famous soon enough
Citizen amber cob

I got this thing from rapid for 18 buck and threw it over a skywalker I have flowering. Its powered at 1200 m.a. They also have a blue one I'm going to prder because I really hate having to solder a bunch of chips together like I have in the past. One and done. Lets see if they supplement my current grow. Cant hurt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190303_063753.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	488520 Click image for larger version

Name:	20190303_063723.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	488521 Click image for larger version

Name:	20190303_063643.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	488522 Click image for larger version

Name:	1552599857391464522123.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	488523
Platinumtitty is offline Quote

Old 03-30-2019, 08:24 PM #27
f-e

So the 9 lamp adjustable angle fitting arrived. Screwed in 8 lamps. Gave each about 30 degee's of tilt. That put maybe 1cm between each lamp. Hung at 30cm and saw a nice even 40,000 Lux over the 0.25m I hoped to cover. Instant result really.

The 40k is dependent on multiple fittings, as intended. I saw 40k under the lamp, 20k at the edge of my space, and 0.3k under the next fitting. All within 15%, which equated to a little much in the middle, and a little less at the edges, but I didn't try to adjust the lamps as I know it's just fine tuning.

So that's 480w of household led, split between 4 pods, mounted at 30cm. Giving 40k over a meter. Using one of them orange cased meters. Which measures my veg area at 10k and doing fine. So 40k must be something...

This presumes a light every 50cm. At the periphery this won't happen. I reckon 30k over a single meter is likely.

I have no idea how this relates to grows in the comparison thread, which seems to of gone way off topic now, and stepped back in time to lighting measured in watts.

I didn't fit the central lamp, As I'm drilling out the middle of the fitting for air cooling. This thing looks a bit like an 8 legged tripod with the lamps in. I'm going to take that tripod, and make it a teepee. Skirting round the lamp holders (with gaffer, obviously)
f-e is offline Quote

Old 03-30-2019, 08:37 PM #28
f-e

I couldn't leave it alone..
It might not be 'all that'

Pointing the lamps out, too 25cm away, I saw no real difference. Still around 18k at the edge. Though a little more spilled out my zone, and the center dropped to 35k. 18+18 is about 35 so great. But no. The corners. I had about 10k. Now if that were 10k from 4 fittings, yes we have a nice 35k everywhere. But it that is in a corner, illuminated by just one fitting.. meh. 10k corners of a 35k room are dead zones. Lost plants. The fittings need moving towards the corners. Or the corners supported with additional lighting.

Shout out to anyone that remembers any lux figures from the comparisons thread. (It's just a mess over there now)
f-e is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:16 AM #29
f-e

I have measured again. Similar results.
Under the lamp 35k
120mm across, 30k
At the edge, 250mm away, 20k
In the corner, 34cm away, 12k
Under the next light, 500mm away, 7k
Under a lamp 68cm away, 3.5k

4 in a box formation, would measure 58k under each light, and 48k in the middle. The edges 24k and the corners just 12k. I will hang a single lamp and measure how it helps soon.

A formation of 9 lights (1.5x1.5 tent) would see's near 80k under the middle fixture. Though the lamps are only rated to put 50k down.

Air around the lamps was 15c above ambient. The surface (carpet) below was raised 10c in about half an hour.

Just realised, in a grid of 9 fittings, you miss out the middle one. The remaining 8 fittings each give 35 of their own, and receive 7 from each neighbour. 49k lux. While the missing central fitting has it's area receive 7 from the nearest 4 neighbours, and 3.5 from the corner 4. 35k lux. A better match for the 24K boarders and 12k corners I need to look at.
f-e is offline Quote

Old 04-08-2019, 04:00 PM #30
Douglas.Curtis

You should start a thread on it.

After playing with the Ming & Ben lamps for a bit, I'm not impressed with them for cannabis. These are the COB lights with the built in drivers. I see them being somewhat useful for other projects of mine, just not cannabis. Biggest downside is multiple heat sinks and fans, coupled with low output for the wattage.