What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Thai

russia_grover59

Privet R G 59.....Kak dela ???

Very nice looking Thai's, bet you would have problems with those outside where you are:)

So how is the high and taste ???

Stay well....K
Kangativa yo. Dela good.
yes, hard life.
we have even an ounce of marijuana can not be with you
It is interesting to talk with others to growers
No maruhiana - no problem : Tiphat: We are very fast smoke all stuff.

Trees 10 inches high by 3 liters of light uplifting ganji

yoss33

Veteran
I think this trend began roughly in 1980...but pure sats can have some broadness of leaf early on, here is a Gypsy Nirvana Thai Stick sapling grown by Kangativa...definitely a thin leafed variety
picture.php

And here's what the indica genes did to the thin leaves :)

In the beginning the fan leaves are like big afghani:

and on the top they get thinner but still fat for a sativa:

I hope that the flowering will be fast, because I guess with that density the plant will be very susceptible to mold during flowering.

bushweed

Veteran
Yes mate that looks like about a 50/50% sat/indica - hope it gets you nice and high though...

S

spliphy

Hi JKD I dont really know where you are but the thing about the Thai's is they take a long time to flower and you do need a fair few to find the right one.
Also the comparison I am using is with F1 nev hazes and after growing the NH on offer now and the F1's I can tell you the F1's are stronger.
Do I think the Thai is stronger.....well I still havent tried the later F1's yet but at the moment I will say yes, but in a different way as the Thai is more trippy.
I have also grown the Malawi, but due to the season we had i lost a few of them and only got to sample 2 and they definetly did not look good, so in all honesty I cant really give a good report on them.
If you dont have the season and space to work with alot of Thai's i would do your original cross, but if you do then go for the Thai.
I think these days crossing 2 landraces is the best thing you can do as not everybody is doing it and it is something very special if you get it right.
I wish you well in your choice and happy growing...k:gday:

The bolded part really confuses me. I thought Nevil's Haze was an F1. Are they IBL?

shantibaba

Hi All

well nice thread and happy to see the Aussies are all at it.
I do not really come to icmag alot as our own site is enough work for me nowadays but this was brought to my attention by quite a few growers as it caused them confusion about what is NH on offer. At Mr Nice Seedbank we only have the NH made the same way as it always has been and if I am not incorrect it was the one Kanga bought from us over a year ago for his work on sativas.We do not make F2s as these can be made by growers after they buy the original seeds we sell ...it does not make sense to do for a seedbank when you have the original parent plants .

So good luck with the work you are all doing on sativas and the search for your grails, we do believe they are already amongst us but love to watch the land races and selections of others always! Be safe and all the success Shantibaba

KITCHA

Veteran
Straight from the man himself, thanks for clarifying Shanti. I'm proud to be australian having shanti and neville leading the way on the breeding front and then bushy and kanga pumping out sativas trees that dwarf even the biggest bushes I've seen anywhere else respect to you all! Cheers kit-

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Hi All

well nice thread and happy to see the Aussies are all at it.
I do not really come to icmag alot as our own site is enough work for me nowadays but this was brought to my attention by quite a few growers as it caused them confusion about what is NH on offer. At Mr Nice Seedbank we only have the NH made the same way as it always has been and if I am not incorrect it was the one Kanga bought from us over a year ago for his work on sativas.We do not make F2s as these can be made by growers after they buy the original seeds we sell ...it does not make sense to do for a seedbank when you have the original parent plants .

So good luck with the work you are all doing on sativas and the search for your grails, we do believe they are already amongst us but love to watch the land races and selections of others always! Be safe and all the success Shantibaba
thanks for clearing that up shanti ...

bushweed

Veteran
At Mr Nice Seedbank we only have the NH made the same way as it always has been and if I am not incorrect it was the one Kanga bought from us over a year ago for his work on sativas.We do not make F2s as these can be made by growers after they buy the original seeds we sell ...it does not make sense to do for a seedbank when you have the original parent plants.

This raises an interesting question for me. Does the potency of clones deteriorate over time?

If so, this would mean that the job of the breeder doesn't end with finding a grail line and resting on his laurels, but maintaing and reinvigorating that line as well. Hard work!

G

Guest50138

Yes I have a thought or two! How many are kanga growing out . I've found Haze hybrids to be variable in the potency department..Nevs haze especially, most are good only a few are great and the occasional one is total no buzz these plant probably more than any other I've grow need to be gone through and selected and then grown from cutting when you find a good one there is absolutely nothing to think about you will know but then this presents a problem of having to grow out 10-20 of them grow them to maturity ,harvest them,cure them, then make your selection but in the mean time having either cuttings or reveging plants for cutting...bit of a pain but worth it if you find the good one, Nev used to say about one in twenty was going to be what your looking for and I would agree .Find the one in twenty and you got yourself some of the finest smoke on the planet IMO ,the other nineteen will be nice but not great..

ahortator

Veteran
Hello everybody.

Jahgreenlabel, I make to you the same question as Luvaduck. Are your seeds from the same source as Kangativa Thai Stick seeds? They look very nice and beautiful.

I am very interested because I'm trying to convince somebody to buy together a pack. I am a poor man :bump:

Southeast Asia - Cambodia, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam (10 to 20 north latitude)

Since American troops first returned from the war in Vietnam, the Cambodian, Laotian, Thai, and Vietnamese strains have been regarded as some of the very finest in the world. Currently most Southeast Asian Cannabis is produced in northern and eastern Thailand. Until recent times, Cannabis farming has been a cottage industry of the northern mountain areas and each family grew a small garden. The pride of a farmer in his crop was reflected in the high quality and seedless nature of each carefully wrapped Thai stick. Due largely to the craving of Americans for exotic marijuana, Cannabis cultivation has become a big business in Thailand and many farmers are growing large fields of lower quality Cannabis in the eastern lowlands. It is suspected that other Cannabis strains, brought to Thailand to replenish local strains and begin large plantations, may have hybridized with original Thai strains and altered the resultant genetics. Also, wild stands of Cannabis may now be cut and dried for export.

Strains from Thailand are characterized by tall meandering growth of the main stalk and limbs and fairly extensive branching. The leaves are often very large with 9 to 11 long, slender, coarsely serrated leaflets arranged in a drooping hand like array. The Thai refer to them as "alligator tails" and the name is certainly appropriate.

Most Thai strains are very late-maturing and subject to hermaphrodism. It is not understood whether strains from Thailand turn hermaphrodite as a reaction to the extremes of northern temperate weather or if they have a genetically controlled tendency towards hermaphrodism. To the dismay of many cultivators and researchers, Thai strains mature late, flower slowly, and ripen unevenly. Retarded floral development and apparent disregard for changes in photoperiod and weather may have given rise to the story that Cannabis plants in Thailand live and bear flowers for years. Despite these shortcomings, Thai strains are very psychoactive and many hybrid crosses have been made with rapidly maturing strains, such as Mexican and Hindu Kush, in a successful attempt to create early-maturing hybrids of high psychoactivity and characteristic Thai sweet, citrus taste. The calyxes of Thai strains are very large, as are the seeds and other anatomical features, leading to the misconception that strains may be polyploid. No natural polyploidy has been discovered in any strains of Cannabis though no one has ever taken the time to look thoroughly. The seeds are very large, ovoid, slightly flattened, and light brown or tan in color. The perianth is never mottled or striped except at the base. Greenhouses prove to be the best way to mature stubborn Thai strains in temperate climes.

http://www.mellowgold.com/grow/mjbotany-removed/marijuanabotany3.html

There are issues with this approach. The most potent and vigorous plants are often the biggest and flower later and take longest to finish. These characteristics are often a sign of the most potent form of a strain. By selecting the shorter, early finishing plants then you are effectively breeding an inferior line. A lot of experienced breeders blame the Dutch for destroying many great sativa lines by choosing the early flowering runt plants.

Haze is a classic example of a once great sativa that is now inbred to the extent that it often creates weak, spindly plants instead of the huge Haze trees it once produced. One of the classic phenotypes of the most potent SE Asian strains of the 70's is a ridiculously fast growth rate and long stretched internodes so that the plant looks similar to giant bamboo and grows at the same rapid rate.

To grow a strain like this under lights is no different to trying to grow giant bamboo under lights. I have seen old school mature Thai plants that have the first set of true leaves at shoulder height of a grown man. The total plant size is often in excess of eighteen feet and they have a trunk like a tree. In thirty years I have never seen these seeds carried by a seedbank though I have seen several plants of this strain that were grown from Thai shipments smuggled overseas in the 70's by the Mr Asia syndicate.

I can only surmise that the pure strain no longer exists in Thailand or else the Thai growers are very secretive and not prepared to sell these seeds to westerners. Some of the best landrace strains in the world are probably still closely guarded secrets in remote locations around the world.

scrubdog

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=152520&st=60

Giant "alligator leaf" Thai grows to 6 metres. There is no other cannabis plant quite like it. The leaves alone can easily be three feet long without the stalk. A 12 inch leaflet is not a big leaf for any outdoor sativa. In fact that is kind of small and runty for a sativa fan leaf on an adult equatorial plant. The normal phenotype for most landrace sativas is a small tree.... or at least it was until the 1980's.

If you search on the web then you will find that even the Manala seed line is no longer clean. Several traveller's to the region have posted on the web that Dutch indica based cultivars have been crossed with the Manala lines, on purpose, by the gangsters who buy the bulk of the crop. This is exactly what happened to all the great Colombian, Thai, Jamaican and Mexican lines in the 80's.

scrubdog

hmmm maybe not 3 feet leaves but two feet anyway. It's twenty-five years since I grew a pure Giant Thai and I never actually measured the leaves but I know I've never seen anything that big again.... or seed that big.

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=152520&st=75

Best regards :tiphat:

SeedGuru

Here's a pic of said Thais - taken some 5 months ago...
picture.php

Can't wait to try this and upload a report...
Nice pics!! My cousin grew some monster trees this season from some black stem seeds from the original nepali seed bank... I will ask him for some phptps for you to see...

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
i would like to grow the gypsy collection thai stick someday, but it looks to be quite a challenge indoors...