What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Thai

Kangativa

Veteran
Hi all, As most of you know I spent alot of this season growing landrace strains and I must admit I was pleasently surprised how some of them turned out. Some standouts were the Malana Cream from RSC, The Kariba Surprise which was originaly from African Seeds, this strain outdid all the other African strains by a country mile. The Mazar which is from Shanti's collection, this was the best Indica I have ever smoked and it is not only me that has said this.
But little did I know that there would be a surprise waiting for me....As you know I also did alot of Gypsy's Laos and Thai stick and unless you have the patience these are not recommended for the indoor grower or even the outdoor grower unless you have the space and climate, as I have only just harvested them and it is the middle of winter here and I still have one Laos that is only just heading and a few other Thai's still flowering.
I also had problems with the Laos as it had a few hermies amongst them, not so for the Thai's. I also had trouble with the size of these plants and the breaking of branches during storms.
All in all they were a difficult plant to keep healthy and lush, but out of all this trouble came a plant that is exactly like the 70's smoke that we used to get in the form of the Thai stick, this plant produces a stone that is so trippy and long lasting that it leaves you thinking you have just dropped a acid trip and i do not joke.
So for you guys who are willing to try the Thai stick from Gypsy the reward could blow your mind.
On a final note I would like to thank Gypsy for making the effort to find this strain and make it available, you have made a dream come true:tiphat:

Technique

Nice one, i grew a thai cross at home one summer when it didnt rain as much and it turned out great, by far the most intense high i have had off smoking before..

Hey Tathagata, just noticed your still starting up..

Watch out for longer flowering varieties as you will not have a dry enough summer to grow them in.

try stick to shorter flowering indica's or hybrid crosses that are mainly indica 60-70 days max otherwise your going to be pulling down fluffy non dense rotten nuggets

Its the end of the summers we have had in the past few years that have had me come unstuck. been far too wet and cold.. i've turned to use only dominant indicas this year to actually get something in the jar..

bushweed

Veteran
Here's a pic of said Thais - taken some 5 months ago...
picture.php

Can't wait to try this and upload a report...

Kangativa

Veteran
Coming soon mate.

Here are some head shots, as you can see it is definetly not the most solid of buds, but you dont really care when it is this good.
The smell of this plant is so close to the Mullum and the F1 Nev Haze it is amazing.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

L

luvaduck

I'm soooooo excited to hear this. After a rough start for all I sprouted, I have been left with one female, hermie free so far. It has been rootbound - easy to do with the lao i have found, dug out by bush turkeys, but hasn't turned so fingers crossed eh?
Kanga, did you find the hermies early on, or do I have more to look forward to? My remaining one is a month into flower and has a very unique nail polish(?) type smell. Haven't smelled one quite like it.
Bushy : I wish mine looked that good man. After the setbacks, and after hearing the praise from kanga, I'm glad she didn't get the chop.

Kangativa

Veteran
I'm soooooo excited to hear this. After a rough start for all I sprouted, I have been left with one female, hermie free so far. It has been rootbound - easy to do with the lao i have found, dug out by bush turkeys, but hasn't turned so fingers crossed eh?
Kanga, did you find the hermies early on, or do I have more to look forward to? My remaining one is a month into flower and has a very unique nail polish(?) type smell. Haven't smelled one quite like it.
Bushy : I wish mine looked that good man. After the setbacks, and after hearing the praise from kanga, I'm glad she didn't get the chop.

Hi mate....I didnt get any Hermies in the Thai Stick only the Laos and it was at the start of their flowering, not when I sexed them out, which surprised me a bit as i did stress them pretty good.
Most of the plants are pretty good and get you stoned.....but this one plant is just killer and it did take 30 plus plants to find it.
Anyway mate you may never know what you have.....I believe Gypsy said the same thing in his info on them.
Fingers crossed:)

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
:yoinks: Wow sounds like an incredible strain you found there mate
thanks for sharing your info with us all :good:
:smoke out:

Squiggles

nice one kanga i still have a few packs of the thai stick stashed will have to give them a run here in Sarina :)oh yeah mate ive switched back to the east coast for a bit
living right in the middle of virgin jungle and mangroves hehe croc startled me this morning while i checked the crab pots forgot what living in the real world was like

ahortator

Veteran
Hi everybody.

Nice to see that beautiful Thais, Kanga :thank you:

I am anxious waiting your report Bushweed :tiphat:

I see that those heavy rains cannot stop your weed.

Squiggles, was that croc a saltie or a freshwater?

I love them but perhaps because I live far away:bump:

Best regards and a great hug.

Kangativa

Veteran
Hey Boom....No worries, it's always good to find that something special as it makes all the shit you go through worthwhile:)

High Country, howdy......Yeah I know its Sativa Heaven up here, but it can also be a weather massacre when doing big plants...lol

Hey Squigs....Oh well mate at least now u are a bit closer and a few years time I will be closer again as we just got something up on the Capricorn Coast......No Crocs there though:dance013: hey you should have got him for dinner:)
I would get those seeds in as soon as you get settled in, Ya never know what you might find:)

Hi Ahortator.....It is a pleasure to show them :tiphat:

AfroSheep

I am who I am coz I is who I is.
Hey guys,
Love the sounds of those thai's kanga and bushy, would be a kinda euphoric type high id imagine, sounds absolutely amazing,

One day Maybe ill have the time and place to have a great outdoor.

Peace Afro.

ahortator

Veteran
Hi all.

I have read a lot about thai stick and its legendary potency and trippy high, but in my contry or at least in the part where I live is something unknown.

I found this telling abut so much potent it was, or it is.

Thai Stick - the true story

Okay everywhere I go on the web these days I see all these stories about the legendary Thai Stick from the 70's. I also see Seedbanks getting in on the act and purporting to sell the real strain that was used to make Thai stick.

My research and personal experience indicates that they are all simply making up a whole lot of rubbish.

I live in NZ which was the transit point for Thai Stick all over the world. I was there in the 70's and hooked into the Thai Stick distribution network run by Marty Johnstone and Terry Clarke.

Thai stick was known as "Buddha Stick" and as far as I know it was the Mr. Asia syndicate that coined the phrase. From memory this is actually explained in the out of print book about Terry Clarke. Anyway I have read some seedbank breeders from the 70's claiming all sorts of rubbish about "Buddha Sticks" coming from India which is rubbish. Buddha sticks have always referred to nothing but genuine Thai Stick and the "Elephant Stick" was a cheap Indian knockoff of the real Thai Stick.

Thai stick was the trippiest, most potent weed on the planet. End of story. Anybody who actually tried the real thing will tell you that and they will just laugh at you when you start going on about "White Widow" or some other fancy Dutch strain. The weed coming out of South East Asia at that time was stronger than anything that is around these days. As well as Thai Stick there was also "tripping weed" coming out of Sumatra and Vietnam that .... well you really have to try it to understand. The high is more like an acid trip than a weed experience.

Many people in later years have claimed that Thai Stick was so strong because it was dipped in opium, heroin water or hash oil. This sounds quite reasonable until you look at how much Thai Stick the Mr Asia syndicate was actually moving around the world. Dipping 500,000 sticks at a time is a pretty expensive way to do business. The book on Terry Clarke goes into quite a bit of detail about every shipment and it doesn't mention dipping the sticks in anything. Why would they even bother? They were already moving the strongest weed anyway that was selling faster than they could supply it? Still maybe they did dip it because when the weed dried up (Thailand couldn't grow enough of it fast enough to keep up with demand) the syndicate became the biggest Pacific rim heroin smuggler in the world.

It is generally accepted that the true Thai Stick strain is now extinct. The Mr Asia syndicate was buying all that could be produced and it is said that they were the ones who introduced Pakistani indica genetics to the growers. It was said that real Thai Stick took nine months to grow and mature so they crossed it with hash plant to get two or even three crops per season instead of one. I have no idea if that is true but something certainly did happen that killed Thai Stick stone dead. We started getting inferior sticks that were made up to look like the originals but the weed was different. Less potent, green instead of brown and a totally different taste and effect.

Contrary to popular belief, smokers did not embrace the new Dutch weed or believe it was more potent. That is just good marketing by the Dutch. The hippies complained loud and long about the new "chem schwag" that was replacing their beloved sun ripened golden sweet and spicey strains. We just got sick of complaining in the end.

For the record, the real Thai Stick came from Udon in East Thailand and I have never seen any Thai seeds in seedbanks that originated from this province.

Here are links to the original story of Thai Stick:

http://g-word.blogspot.com/2004/12/brigadoon.html
http://www.nzlistener.co.nz/issue/3...l;jsessionid=D86A9A335502E09B7A70E4D421455740
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Johnstone
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Thai-stick

The last link states that Thai Stick declined in popularity when stronger local weed came on the market. This is rubbish. I was there at the time in the middle of it all. Thai Stick never declined in popularity at all. It simply dried up and you couldn't get it anymore and everybody still wanted to get it and they still want to get it thirty years later. It was the fact that you couldn't get Thai Stick any longer that actually started the weed revolution. People all over the world suddenly started seeking out Asian and Columbian strains and growing them because they missed the Thai weed.

As a side note... after the Mr asia syndicate started falling apart the Australian Police busted one of the biggest commercial cannabis growing operations of all time (outside Mexico and Columbia). A huge Queensland syndicate was growing hundreds of acres (the police suppressed a lot of information at the time) of Thai weed right in the middle of the Queensland sugar cane belt. Many of the plants were reported to be 18ft high upwards. This stuff was almost as strong as original Thai Stick which sort of kills the dipped in opium theory. Not long after that NZ and Aussie were flooded with weed from Sumatra in Indonesia, apparently also grown by a huge syndicate. Once again that was killer weed far stronger than any Dutch strain I've ever tried.

In the last few years the rumours are that Papau New Guinea now has the killer weed. They call it 'Niugini gold' ....

If anybody could actually get their hands on some then we may find out that it is the new Thai Stick?

Now if anybody has any Niugini Gold seeds.... please PM me immediately ....

m0ng00se

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c....php?f=12&t=976 sumatran trippin weed&ct=clnk

Is thai stick weed similar to Mullumbimby Madness? Is thai stick so much potent and psychedelic even far stronger than Africans?

I though that African sativas were the strongest weed, but I don't know sure because I have never had the oportunity to try neither Thai nor African.

As you have grown and test the two, what do you think?

Kanga, it is always a pelasure to see your plants :thank you:

Thank you very much and greetings.

Squiggles

hi ahortator
if trippy is what your after
Niugini Gold seeds do exist :) but not easy to get
id try gypsys thai stick and also golden tiger when available
and thats it from me
im going back under my rock hehe

salute
Squiggs...

Kangativa

Veteran
Hi Ahortator.....Thank you my friend for a very enjoyable read:tiphat:

Here are some pics of the Mazar that I plan to cross with the Thai. This cross should give the plant a bit more structural strength and I hope bring the flowering time down:dance013:

picture.php

picture.php

ahortator

Veteran
Hi Squiggles

Thank you very much for your advice, but for me living in Southern Spain I think that is impossible to find the Niugini Gold.

Luckily I got seeds and I am growing now a strain called Sumatra Tuk-Tuk, but I am not sure if the high is so trippy as the Thai Stick or even if I can call the high that this weed produces "trippy". I only can tell you that I smoked half spliff in the country (after a year of abstinence) and I begin singing mentally about three songs at the same time in the same moment, and I ended talking telepathically with pigs (but they didn't want conversation LOL), a donkey, a few horses, and later returning to my home with a cat. ROFL :bump:

Really an amazing expereince.

The effect was so clean that sometimes I thougth that I was no high, buy I was, and very high, LOL

Here you can see past year plants. All 100% hermies.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=190099

The problem is that I have never seen a male in this strain so I can only make seeds mating hermies with a female clon that I keep, which is my purpose this year. And the germination rate is ridiculously low.

You are welcome. I enjoy a lot reading it so I post it here for sharing among everybody. I think that m0ng00se is the same person as Scrubdog. He wrote in this forum too.

A very nice Mazar bud, it seems very fat and sticky. Mating it with that outstanding Thai is a sure way to make a premium and powerful hybrid :tiphat:

But please, keep a few Thai seeds pure for preservation, I think that so high quality thais are extremely rare to find in these days.

Greetings and a great hug.

Kangativa

Veteran
Hi Ahortator......" But please, keep a few Thai seeds pure for preservation, I think that so high quality thais are extremely rare to find in these days."

Always my friend, that is something I do with all landraces is open pollenation before i select the one male and female i would like to work with. I couldnt quite do it with this Thai because of the Hermies in the Laos lightly pollinating the Thai, but I have more seed of that stock that I got from Gypsy so i can try and find a similar male at a later date.
I have also just recieved the Mekong from RSC, so I look forward to working with that one as well.
Ok my friend hope all is good and you growing is going well ....K:gday: