What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Geocaching

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not everyone knows about this new outdoor hobby. It was just a year or 2 ago when I first heard of it.

It involves using a GPS (Global Positioning System) to find a point on the earth where someone else has hidden a "cache", a container with normally cheap treasures and a note pad for signing in. The seeker then lookes around the area for the cache and once its found the seeker gets their treasure. Geocaching rules say if a treasure is taken, you must bring one to replace it. The container is then closed up and hidden where it was originally found .

People do this all over the place, urban and rual areas. To check if there are any geocaches your area go here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/

main site: http://www.geocaching.com/

Stay safe everyone.....
-Pipeline

Last edited:

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Good thought, I thought of that once and I know there are none near my spot within miles : ).

G

this is something useful in knowing what spots to avoid. However, this is also a GREAT excuse for being out checking your spot. just carry a gps device with your and you'll be all set. garmin has them for about $100 on the cheap end for a waterproof one. They are also quite useful in pinpointing spots and not following the same trails in to your spots everytime. just remember, if storing the waypoints for your grow spots, mix them in among >>a lot<< of extra waypoints, just to help disguise your op if cops somehow ever try to use the GPS as evidence against you.

Deft

Veteran
A cheep 100$ garmin (from xmass a few years back) is part of my toolkit when I go outside even just for walking around, it even tells me how fast I am walking or driving which is cool I think. Never tried geocashing but I have looked into it and thought about doing it but it just seems dumb to me lol.

G

hey deft, i got mine last christmas 05. is yours the yellow rubberized one (mb they're all rubberized). I told my parents i wanted it so i wouldn't get lost while hiking as much. It was partially true, as I was searching around for grow sites, it got dark, I was way farther out than i thought i was (5 miles+ in the middle of a 20mile X 20mile patch of continuous woods with ravines and steep hills all over the place). I got really paranoid of the coyotes because I had run across a den earlier in the day while stalking some deer ( i get bored.......) and the tracks were as big as that of my 80-90 pound dog. SO every sound i heard that night made me think i was being stalked by coyotes. so thats the reason behind the GPS..........and so I could mark potential grow spots in the middle of nowhere :):) worked really well.....except some were a little too far out and im pretty sure I have a few bags of soil still sitting 3 miles into the woods. I know where they are, but was too lazy to do any more work that far out, or too smart to carry a shovel through there....

Deft

Veteran
Gts a 100 yellow gecko or somthing I dont know exactaly where it is but I should look lol, its the crappiest one they have with only basic stuff but still great for marking trails and where you have been. I have a bag of soil sitting in the woods, should have just dumped it so its not obvious whats going on during winter.

Edit: Found it! Its a gecko 101 by Garmin.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/reviews/geko/garmin-gekos.jpg
Its the one on the left.

Last edited:

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
sounds pretty cool

ive been interested in buying myself a nice gps for the woods. can anybody recomend a good not too expensive unit?

Deft

Veteran
Its all based on what you want it to be able to do, do you want to hook it up and download maps etc? This one just makes waypoints and paths and speeds and altitudes etc.

G

mine is (i think) basically the next generation of that. No downloading maps, topography, etc. just waypoints, markers, draws a line following the trail you're walking, innacurate compass (due to only adjusting when receiving a signal), speed, distance, avg speed, alt, yea, same kinda stuff as yours.

One funny thing about it is that people seem to think if you have one in the woods and are using it that you really know what you're doing. My opinion is the opposite. Someone with good dierectional sense and some minimal training should be able to use a compass to get around the woods and not need a gps.

Deft

Veteran
I've done some orienteering/mapmaking in boyscouts, its so much easier with the little cheepo garmin lol.

jaypee89

how does this have anything to do with growing marijuana outdoors? :confused:

interesting none the less. never heard of it. always wanted to be a treasure hunter. wouldnt it be fucked up if somebody left a steaming chunk of doodie in one of the containers? ewwwwwwwww :fsu:

G

jaypee, look at deft's first post. Knowing where the geocaching spots are is good because you can avoid growing in those areas. Also, geocaching is an excuse to be out in the woods checking on your plants without having to have a "lost dog" or a pair of binoculars. A GPS device is also useful for marking remote plots. Please read the thread before criticizing it.
One of the big things about geocaching is people put the caches in remote areas very often. growers often look for very remote areas. the two don't mix well when a geocacher happens to run across an almost mature plant, sees what it is, and decides it might be wild so he or she just picks the entire thing. Even worse is the supposed do-gooders reporting your grow to the cops, only so they can set up a motion detector camera there and catch u in the act tending to your plants.

reddy1

ICMag Donor
BUMP

folks need to check to see if there are caches near their spots. i thought i had a clever spot only to later find out their is a cache nearby. looking through the log i found out 100 people were in these woods last summer.

G

Good idea pipeline. This would work for those spots where there just isn't any reasonable explanation for being there.

Latest posts

Latest posts