What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

BigBlack

i found the photos. yes, they look dark. the leaves were dark when i started.
but my question is ... what now? storage in the dark at 34c?

Tangwena

Veteran
i found the photos. yes, they look dark. the leaves were dark when i started.
but my question is ... what now? storage in the dark at 34c?

Yes strange there were def some photo's not to worry, if the buds were dark to begin with then thats good no problem.
As I stated above you do not want them too moist going forward if they were. Then best is to dry them before proceeding further.
Dry them so the surface feels dry to the touch. The inside core will be still moist this will spread and equalize the moisture throughout the cob while it is curing.
Otherwise your plan is good into the pot sealed up for another 5 to 7 days before inspecting again surface drying and re sealing.
Go by your nose you should be aiming for a sweet floral/fruity aroma initially but this will change to a deeper hashier smell as it cures.
This will take 3 to 4 weeks of weekly inspections and surface drying to get to the stage where you like the aroma then fully dry them as you would in jar cured dry and seal up to age for a month or more.

BigBlack

Yes strange there were def some photo's not to worry, if the buds were dark to begin with then thats good no problem.
As I stated above you do not want them too moist going forward if they were. Then best is to dry them before proceeding further.
Dry them so the surface feels dry to the touch. The inside core will be still moist this will spread and equalize the moisture throughout the cob while it is curing.
Otherwise your plan is good into the pot sealed up for another 5 to 7 days before inspecting again surface drying and re sealing.
Go by your nose you should be aiming for a sweet floral/fruity aroma initially but this will change to a deeper hashier smell as it cures.
This will take 3 to 4 weeks of weekly inspections and surface drying to get to the stage where you like the aroma then fully dry them as you would in jar cured dry and seal up to age for a month or more.

the sinai and lebanese cobs are doing good. they are happy fermenting in the big pot, in their plastic vac bags. i'll keep checking them for mold but it looks good so far. thank you one and all for your help.

funkyhorse

Tangwena, I hope you dont mind if I answer lowridersa questions
I posted it somewhere else but hoping this is an african breeder and african strains so you would not mind

This is Senegal Haze from Afropips at 120 days flowering, my only seed to make it out of 20. It looks Senegal Cassamance leaning pheno. The seeds from Afropips pack were all different, meaning it was an open pollination strain. From clone it goes much faster
Senegal haze afropips (7).jpeg
Senegal haze afropips clon.jpeg

From the Tribal Vision pack I got 100% germination rate. At veg all plants were columnar and in flowering it becomes a phenotype carnival with indica and sativa phenos showing sex from as soon as 3 days to more than a month. Because of this I culled all males
I had 5 males, 4 girls and one girl turned intersex and got culled. I am drying 3 plants and the forth is still going. Was the latest to show sex and the most sativa leaning pheno. It is going on a 5 liter pot. I pollinized the finnished plants with OHz pollen just in case I like it and they are still making the seed. I didnt take any pictures of this one

I am slowly making a collection of cobs and experimenting
I realized after you mentioned it that I had some difficult drying days with humidity ranging 75-85% and I let them stay one week drying before cobbing. At that humidity plants never dry and one week minimum is needed in order to get some drier leaves and being able to process the plant taking out the seed and the sticks. Cant process the plant if it is almost wet
These 2 bricks were 10 hours in the yoghurt maker and then one week outdoors for the last week of the year with natural fermenting temperatures. This is done straight from the yoghurt maker without opening/drying the brick
Ohz90 MadMac repro Fem 3
Ohz90 fem 3 cob.jpeg

Mango Thai cut after 150 days grown in 5 liter pot. I made the whole plant brick processing just the flower parts
Mango thai 2 (3).jpeg
Mango thai 2 (5).jpeg
Mango thai cob.jpeg

They fermented nicely and they have softer/lighter smell than the next cobs, is this because less hours fermentation at the yoghurt maker plus being outside a short time?

My second shot at Lemon Thai sativa fermented for 15 hours and just one day out before opening it. Will be very interesting to compare with the darker brick. I am opening them in 2 months time. Tomorrow I will know if this one gets darker too
Lemon thai cob (2).jpeg

Seedsman Hz MadMac fem 1. Second cob with the same plant. Smells are a little different than the first time. This one was fermented 16 hours in the yoghurt maker. Comparing bricks gives a point of reference for the future cobs. It was fermented 16 hours at the yoghurt maker, the most of all bricks this time
Seedsman haze mm cob fem 1.jpeg

This one was fermented 12 hours and is by far the one with the biggest fermentation smells, I would have expected that from the 16 hour brick. From MadMac Ohz's while processing them for cobs I am obtaining about 1-1,5% charas. It is a lot, very impressive!!
And it seems Ohz 90 and Seedsman Hz are the ultimate cobbing strain. I like the results very much. And it also seems that different plants give different results even if they are from the same strain
Seedsman Hz MadMac fem 2.
Seedsman haze mm cob fem 2.jpeg

I am "drying"them now with a humidity of 83%. I am letting them one day to dry the outside to the touch or more if needed and then seal them for long cure. I will open them in two months time to check and see.
Have a nice weekend everybody

MedBelgUsr

Well, well, well ....

After 6 weeks, I have opened the Trainwreck and Kali China cobs and the smell was as expected : sweet.

No more humidity outside, the cobs are just slightly sticky ( from crystals ).

However, my main "concern" comes from the sample I tried with the Kali China.

Indeed I simply chopped 0.26 gr to chew on it for 10 min, then it has been kept in the mouth ( under the tongue ) for 20 min and then everything has been swallowed with water.

Verdict after 4 hours ? nothing.
Not a single effect, buzz, etc ...

So either :

1. I will need to prepare the cobs just like pills : infusion in oil & lecithin ( minus the decarboxylation which is naturally done during the fermenting ).
2. I'm not eating it the right way ? ( anyone knows if I should chew for 1 hour ? )
3. tasting the cobs after 6 weeks, it's still too early and it's expected that the effect is not yet present

Puzzling & dissapointing.

The Trainwreck :
TW - Checks 1.jpg

The Kali China :
Kali - Checks 1.jpg

G

If you have any tolerance from use, that. 26 of a gram wont do you much.
id say triple that if you felt nothing, especially if you are also smoking with any regularity.

Also they need to be aged now after a good drying. you are almost there!! the work is done just dry till stems snap.

edit: your cobs look real nice.:bigeye:

MedBelgUsr

Hi cudme, 🙂

Thanks for your comments: it's still my first time for the cobs and I havent tried them yet ( I have 7 ongoing cobs ), I dont smoke at all so probably your suggestion to triple the dose might be my best bet for the moment.

Regarding the aging and drying, as they didnt reach 3 months of curing yet, I will be patient ... once they have reached that 3 months milestone, 2 cobs will dry for 2 weeks ( until they snap ) and then I will perform the chewing test again 😝 ( I prefer Nutella .... )

For the 5 other cobs, my hope is to let them go on in their vacuum until they are 1 year old and only age/dry them afterwards ... why that time ?
Simple : I have read that in Africa, that kind of cure is done over the course of one year, with the next harvest taking the place of the 12 months cured cobs.
So those African cobs are fully dried only after one year too ( I guess ).

And then there will be my next harvest with A5 Haze and Malawi in it, for which I will also prepare cobs for 3 months curing and the rest for 12 months+.

Tbh, I'm hearing so many positive opinions about "cobbing" that I might have too much hopes/expectations regarding the strength of the end product.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi cudme, 🙂

Thanks for your comments: it's still my first time for the cobs and I havent tried them yet ( I have 7 ongoing cobs ), I dont smoke at all so probably your suggestion to triple the dose might be my best bet for the moment.

Regarding the aging and drying, as they didnt reach 3 months of curing yet, I will be patient ... once they have reached that 3 months milestone, 2 cobs will dry for 2 weeks ( until they snap ) and then I will perform the chewing test again 😝 ( I prefer Nutella .... )

For the 5 other cobs, my hope is to let them go on in their vacuum until they are 1 year old and only age/dry them afterwards ... why that time ?
Simple : I have read that in Africa, that kind of cure is done over the course of one year, with the next harvest taking the place of the 12 months cured cobs.
So those African cobs are fully dried only after one year too ( I guess ).

And then there will be my next harvest with A5 Haze and Malawi in it, for which I will also prepare cobs for 3 months curing and the rest for 12 months+.

Tbh, I'm hearing so many positive opinions about "cobbing" that I might have too much hopes/expectations regarding the strength of the end product.

Well my friend the cobs look fine to me aging is important but if you felt nothing the dose was to small.
I sent some samples to a heavy smoking friend of mine who chewed 1gram and reported it to be way stronger than smoking and very enjoyable.
So either the pot is weak or more likely you need a lot higher dose.
Try 1gram like my friend did if that doesn't work then we have to look at other causes.
But first try increasing the dose I only need 0.2 to 0.3g but my body is tuned in to the effects i used to use 0.5g as a minimum now I rarely use that much.
Its all dependent on the dose you need to find the dose that works for you even weak badly grown plants will work if you have the right dose. Not that I'm saying yours is either of those things but everyone has different tolerances yours may be higher than mine.
I assure you once you get the dose right you will know it ha ha.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hombre del mont nice work my friend you will find every cob is its own master, the sativa type buds need a lighter hand than the chunky indica type buds.
The sativa buds need a lighter sweat 12 to 18 hours is enough the cure will occur during the next phase keep an eye on the color changes dont let them go too far they are delicate and require a lighter hand.
Each plant will cure slightly differently even plants of the same strain.
I had a lovely cure on some Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian really short sweat 8 hrs unopened and cured for 3 weeks the buds going in were slightly dry and came out with an amazing stringy cure like rolling tobacco.
My smoking friends couldn't believe how smooth and tasty it was but it was the high that they wanted the most. One heavy smoking friend couldn't stop talking about it saying it made him feel so cool and confident he normally was a shy nervous type.
Even a girl he knew was impressed and asked him what had changed him saying she liked his new look ha ha.

Tangwena

Veteran
So I opened the first cobs to dry out after about 10 days curing to dry out.. the second cob doesn't need drying yet by my fingers

interesting to see the purple ebb away as it ages.

Magnificent work my friend that looks amazing its going to be very special as it ages nice work.

MedBelgUsr

Well my friend the cobs look fine to me aging is important but if you felt nothing the dose was to small.
That seems to be more and more the feeling I have ...
But I'm wondering, when you chew, how long do you chew vs keep it sitting under the tongue ?
I know it's not easy to check the time when you do it but the taste is putting me so much OFFFFFF, that I will do what is required "chewing wise" ... not more.

So either the pot is weak or more likely you need a lot higher dose.
The growing journal for the Kali was shown here, so everybody saw it went ( very ) well ...
I just hope I dont need to crank up the dose too much, as the idea of cobbing is to use less plant materials by optimizing the curing.

Tbh I have never NEVER smoked ... really ... not even trying ... but I did vape lightly until 10 days ago ( ex : I vape starting 4pm in the afternoon and just before going to bed )
So we'll see if it influenced my tolerance ... right now I swallow 1.5 gr of dried decarbed cannabis dust around 8pm ( yeah, in one shot ) and it helps me to sleep : it gives me a medium effect.

Try 1gram like my friend did if that doesn't work then we have to look at other causes.
I will, definitely ! But for the time being, the cobs are back to the vacuum to go on with their curing until one reaches the 3 months milestone ( with the others, luckilly going on with their cure meanwhile ).

Cheers
MBU

Tangwena

Veteran
That seems to be more and more the feeling I have ...
But I'm wondering, when you chew, how long do you chew vs keep it sitting under the tongue ?
I know it's not easy to check the time when you do it but the taste is putting me so much OFFFFFF, that I will do what is required "chewing wise" ... not more.

The growing journal for the Kali was shown here, so everybody saw it went ( very ) well ...
I just hope I dont need to crank up the dose too much, as the idea of cobbing is to use less plant materials by optimizing the curing.

Tbh I have never NEVER smoked ... really ... not even trying ... but I did vape lightly until 10 days ago ( ex : I vape starting 4pm in the afternoon and just before going to bed )
So we'll see if it influenced my tolerance ... right now I swallow 1.5 gr of dried decarbed cannabis dust around 8pm ( yeah, in one shot ) and it helps me to sleep : it gives me a medium effect.

I will, definitely ! But for the time being, the cobs are back to the vacuum to go on with their curing until one reaches the 3 months milestone ( with the others, luckilly going on with their cure meanwhile ).

Cheers
MBU

I hear what you are saying my friend. If you are swallowing 1.5 g of decarbed dust there is your answer right there.
You have built up a tolerance, as for the taste it will get a lot milder after aging and drying.

I actually like the taste of aged cobs although it does depend on the strain and how they were cured.
The effects I get from the strains I grow and cure are the exact opposite to a sleep aid and are very good stimulants both mental and physical.
I am not familiar with the strains you have cobbed I think the best way for you to consume them may be drying and powdering them in the same way you do the decarbed buds and at similar doses.

You do not need to chew it if you dont like it, you can just swallow it without chewing it just takes longer to come on.
I have found chewing effects me quicker and the effects are two fold. First from chewing I get a energetic euphoric high then a second wave about 2 hours later from the chewed cob I have swallowed is a lot more stoney.
I would def try chewing it, but dry the cob first it will lessen the taste, chew it as long as you can then swallow it washed down with water. Also weigh it dry and up your dose 1 gram might be better as you are taking more than that now.

Mallitlahuani

Has anyone read this this article?, It has some interesting variations for curing and I was wondering if anyone had tried one of them.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
tang... i have followed your cobbing for a couple of yrs- i have cobbed some goldentiger,malawi, and most recently some A5, all from ace seeds - my observations..... it certainly smooths out the smoke, but i don't find it to enhance the power of the weed- cobbing, or curing in jars seems about the same potency- it could be just me, as other then some cheap...cheap jock horror we grew yrs ago, the weed just doesn't kick my ass.. BUT.... i will continue on the journey .... all the best

Tangwena

Veteran
tang... i have followed your cobbing for a couple of yrs- i have cobbed some goldentiger,malawi, and most recently some A5, all from ace seeds - my observations..... it certainly smooths out the smoke, but i don't find it to enhance the power of the weed- cobbing, or curing in jars seems about the same potency- it could be just me, as other then some cheap...cheap jock horror we grew yrs ago, the weed just doesn't kick my ass.. BUT.... i will continue on the journey .... all the best

Hi brother it doesn't increase potency but I find it changes the effects if done right. Its just a matter of whether you like the changes if you cant detect any change in the high something went wrong.
Its not easy to get it right sometimes it takes a while to understand how to do it properly its not a set and forget method.
Also some people just dont like it.
I recently gave some of my cob samples to a friend and worried that he might not get any effect told him to take 1 gram, from his reports I should have told him a third of a gram as he has overdosed twice so far and found himself shit faced and fucked up.
I am hoping at lower doses (like I use) he will find it more enjoyable and to his taste, its not for everyone its an acquired taste.
Any chance of seeing some pics I would love to see what you have made.

Tangwena

Veteran
Has anyone read this this article?, It has some interesting variations for curing and I was wondering if anyone had tried one of them.

Yes I posted a link a while back thanks for bumping it along its a cool article there is not much information around and this is cool.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Hi brother it doesn't increase potency but I find it changes the effects if done right. Its just a matter of whether you like the changes if you cant detect any change in the high something went wrong.
Its not easy to get it right sometimes it takes a while to understand how to do it properly its not a set and forget method.
Also some people just dont like it.
I recently gave some of my cob samples to a friend and worried that he might not get any effect told him to take 1 gram, from his reports I should have told him a third of a gram as he has overdosed twice so far and found himself shit faced and fucked up.
I am hoping at lower doses (like I use) he will find it more enjoyable and to his taste, its not for everyone its an acquired taste.
Any chance of seeing some pics I would love to see what you have made.

hey - the only pics i took were of the 1st cob, which was golden tiger, and that was prob 2years ago- i posted on this thread i think.... trying to find it is impossible since they 'updated' the server... go back to the old server ... it was easy pezzy to navigate... the update is not so easy

Tangwena

Veteran
hey - the only pics i took were of the 1st cob, which was golden tiger, and that was prob 2years ago- i posted on this thread i think.... trying to find it is impossible since they 'updated' the server... go back to the old server ... it was easy pezzy to navigate... the update is not so easy

No problem my friend as I said some like it some dont thats life no reflection on you or your abilities I am sure.
BUT I am sure if we met in person I would be able to change your mind my friend.
Going on past experience if we had an experience together with a good cob you would be impressed.