Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > The Lounge : Growers Round Table Discussion Thread

Thread Title Search
The Lounge : Growers Round Table Discussion Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-26-2018, 02:09 PM #91
growingcrazy

growingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of light
k1 assumes the weight of a scoop. K3 weighs out the soil to go into solution.

6.5-6.6 it will most likely rise slightly over the next months as the maerl is broken down.

On the ph test, I mix my lime with water and then water the soil I am using for testing. This gets the lime reaction to happen quicker.

It is also handy to do all testing on dry medium since that is what you need to find bulk density.

I will try to get to your other message today Arnold.

Last edited by growingcrazy; 04-26-2018 at 07:11 PM..
growingcrazy is online now Quote

Old 04-26-2018, 03:23 PM #92
growingcrazy

growingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of light
So lets have a quick talk about TH mix...

50 lbs of bone, lets assume 4-12-0, the original mix is roughly 36 cubic feet of base + 50 lbs bone, 100 lbs 3-2-2 chicken compost.

Now lets first assume this is field soil density...what kind of PPM is that?

Bone meal:
N - 1200 PPM
P2O5 - 3600 PPM ( P ~1600)

SupRgreen:
N - 1800 PPM
P2O5 - 1200 PPM ( P 530)
K2O - 1200 PPM (K 1000)

So, 3000 PPM N, 2100 P and 1000 K in field soil. In a mix weighing 1/4 of that in bulk density, all those numbers are quadrupled... Speaking of balance?

It works because a lot of the N is slow release from the bone, some is used to fuel decomposition and the rest is leached to the sub-soil. Some K gets pushed out from the 20 lbs of gypsum that is recommended in the original mix also...

Tom Hill mix needs large containers and spring rains to make them perform as best they can.

How much Fe and Na do you think the Bone and SupR bring to the mix?

Why post this? End results are what matters. Science isn't perfect, experimenting is always your best learning tool.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:48 PM #93
Arnold.

Arnold. will become famous soon enoughArnold. will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by growingcrazy View Post
So here is a basic mix with everything listed in ppm.

This is a 5-1-1 mix of peat, compost, perlite.

I usually get all of my Mg,Fe and Na from the compost.

Here are the amendments in grams per 22.5 LB of dry base mix @ .361gr/CC.

Lime 35% Ca 12gr
Which peat do you use growingcrazy?
This lime number seems very low to me.

Or did you lime your peat beforehand?

I started off with that number, but my pH did almost not move in my mix. Did some reading and seems like a rate of 2-5g of lime/l of substrate is more common. That is around 10 times your number.

This worries me about the differences between our types of peat. It seems like yours has a lot less available EC sites.

I've yet to test what rate works out for my peat. Plus, I should retest my mix in a few days, I understand not all of the reaction has yes taken place.
Arnold. is offline Quote

Old 04-29-2018, 08:16 PM #94
led05

led05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really nice
Quote:
View Image

A bog...I know a guy with one of those things...

Not looking for balance, but a good base. 80% of mixes sold have worse balance than straight leaf mold.

Isn't it the French that are huge leaf mould nuts for horticultural use?
read about Elliott and Paris, I believe they prefer the manures (horse if memory correct) or at least did - pretty cool stuff

there's nothing wrong with a lot of inputs, especially varied ones..... think about the example of kids throwing darts at board to pick stocks vs. a quality HF manager picking them, diversified is diversified, holds true across the board, life, mathematics

Old 04-29-2018, 08:18 PM #95
led05

led05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really nice
Quote:
View Image

A bog...I know a guy with one of those things...

Not looking for balance, but a good base. 80% of mixes sold have worse balance than straight leaf mold.

Isn't it the French that are huge leaf mould nuts for horticultural use?
looks familiar btw - same type of place we live, u get more sun :( or

Old 04-30-2018, 05:59 AM #96
growingcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold. View Post
Which peat do you use growingcrazy?
This lime number seems very low to me.

Or did you lime your peat beforehand?

I started off with that number, but my pH did almost not move in my mix. Did some reading and seems like a rate of 2-5g of lime/l of substrate is more common. That is around 10 times your number.

This worries me about the differences between our types of peat. It seems like yours has a lot less available EC sites.

I've yet to test what rate works out for my peat. Plus, I should retest my mix in a few days, I understand not all of the reaction has yes taken place.
My chicken compost in that base mix brings the medium to 5.9 pH. I didn't post that mix as a recipe to follow. It is an example of what works in my peat and compost combo. My numbers bring me to my target in that mix... Once you have a good base, your input numbers will not be identical to anyone else. Your mix, your balance.

Your testing is what matters in your situation. I would test 50gr (3lbs/yd) , 60gr (3.5 lbs/yd) and 70gr (4lb/yd) to the cuft to start. Break those numbers down to test single gallons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by led05 View Post
looks familiar btw - same type of place we live, u get more sun :( or
Only issue with being near the coast is the winds. Light silty soils erode quickly here without some management.

My computer ended it's life, took all of my files and whatnot with it. Not in the mood to start over again, may not pick up another until fall. Spring is busy season too... You few that can, keep in touch.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:43 AM #97
Arnold.

Oh f*ck! That is horrible news.
Are you sure you lost all your files? Most of the time the hard disk is still fine so you can take it out and open those files with another computer. You just need a little adapter for that. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoScdgkOA8E

If it didn't die with a short circuit, water or smoke, there is pretty good hope those files are not gone.

I can help you with the search for the right adapter if you want I know spring is a busy time for farmers.

Last edited by Arnold.; 04-30-2018 at 09:50 AM..
Arnold. is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:59 AM #98
Hermen_eutics
Banned

Hermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of light
FWIW: Things are going pretty well using mix from this report. I did make a few corrections thanks to observations from you guys on the slow thread. Seems like there is no question that the Ca reported in the test was not available to these plants.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5-1 smc.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	454004
Hermen_eutics is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:06 PM #99
Arnold.

So 5g/1l of 36% Ca Maerl brought my mix up to 6.3pH. Since I will be using bonemeal, that will probably suffice. Sample of 5 part Latvian peat + 1 part 2 year old leaf mold of my garden + Maerl is sent. I will share the results.

I was toying a bit with hydrobuddy for the different fertilizer mixes and I'm stuck with a damn high S value.
This is from: K/P/NH4/Ca/Mg SO4

EDIT: I figured it out with chicken manure. I wanted to leave it out because of the smell, but what the hell. I can take it

Problem is that I do not have access to Kmag or calphos. I remember a particular part in the Slownickel thread where it was said that a S excess is nothing too worrying. So you guys think I'm good with this?
If not, any fertilizers I should consider trying to source?

Last edited by Arnold.; 05-08-2018 at 09:20 PM..
Arnold. is offline Quote

Old 05-09-2018, 09:21 AM #100
Arnold.

Thanks for that quick and clear answer paradoxlost

Can high SO4 easily lead to excess sulfide? For example when using micro-bacterial tea's/inoculants? Or does this reaction not take place in aerobic soil conditions?
Arnold. is offline Quote