What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My new wax pen is killing me "Exhale, cough...cough..cough

cashmunny

I have an aspire battery and kangertech tank. stock everything, gives a great smooth hit. I use the lowest voltage because I don't care about clouds. mostly PG but some VG and a litlle bit of MCT. It produce a stony, smooth, hit even at 3.3 Volts.

Now compare that to my wax melter rig. It's the Evolve plus. It's got a quartz heating element and Japanese cotton wiicks. No liquid, it melts shatter or wax
stright on to the wicks. No juice involved.

I can barely smoke out of the Evolve. It has no voltage adjustment, I could try to measure the battery voltage I guess. But when I hear that wax bubbling it's time to stop hitting it two seconds ago. Because this thing is a like a cough machine. Any advice on any way I can dial down the harshness? I may be able to downsize the battery, a lot of these units are rebuildable that way. I am vaping a fairly dark shatter. Maybe I just bite the bullet and buy the clear winterized stuff uber premium stuff that's terpene free? Because this stuff I've got is full of terpenes. Or get something more mild as far as terpenes go. Any recs?

Limeygreen

Veteran
Do smaller hits, I have a hypnos zero and wax, oil or rosin can give me a bit of a cough (not much) smaller hits help but I don't usually use the high setting, 4 set points I stick usually with number 3 for a bit more flavour.

matt11

I have a wax pen that does the same thing to me (puffco pro) . I cough way more then I ever do when I take dabs off a nail.

What I do to minimize the harshness is pulse the button, rather then continuously hold it down. And also use on a medium to low setting.

~star~crash~

that's one of the problems w/low temp vaporization...it makes U cough

hot nails & high temps for flash vaporization works for me and is comfortable on my lungs

peace

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran

hot nails & high temps for flash vaporization works for me and is comfortable on my lungs

peace

I agree, and add that the nail needs to be clean. When you dab on a dirty surface the dab acts as a solvent and releases some of the built up crud into the vapor.

Imo an enail, stationary or portable needs an open flat surface like an actual framer's nail head that can be wire brushed or scraped clean.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran

peace

I have to disagree fully. I had my enail at 690 or so, harsh hits for weeks. turned it down to 675, way smoother, less harsh. no coughing either way for me really, but definitely much smoother and tastier at a lower temp.

prune

Veteran
I have to disagree fully. I had my enail at 690 or so, harsh hits for weeks. turned it down to 675, way smoother, less harsh. no coughing either way for me really, but definitely much smoother and tastier at a lower temp.

I wouldn't believe that 690 is really any different from 675 considering the tech's margin of error, I call observer bias...

~star~crash~

my experience shows me that you do indeed get more flavor at low temps, but i cough way more from low temp vapour as opposed to hot flash vaporization

Last edited:

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I wouldn't believe that 690 is really any different from 675 considering the tech's margin of error, I call observer bias...

I am also considering my 15 years experience vaporizing everyday. I came up with the first popular widely used oil vaporizing system in late 2002, and have dabbed every day since then.

As for your observer bias theory on the e-nail, another observation I made, Is that every time i dab at about 620-650 as its on the rise, its even smoother and easier to inhale than at 675. I do that quite often.

hamstring

Veteran
I

I can barely smoke out of the Evolve. It has no voltage adjustment, I could try to measure the battery voltage I guess. But when I hear that wax bubbling it's time to stop hitting it two seconds ago. Because this thing is a like a cough machine. Any advice on any way I can dial down the harshness? I may be able to downsize the battery, a lot of these units are rebuildable that way. I am vaping a fairly dark shatter. Maybe I just bite the bullet and buy the clear winterized stuff uber premium stuff that's terpene free? Because this stuff I've got is full of terpenes. Or get something more mild as far as terpenes go. Any recs?

I totally agree I have the same Evolve pen and had to quit smoking it because i got a lung/chest infection. Never had one before in my life I went back to tincture.

I haven't had the money but I think we both need to invest in a better pen like the PAX or firefly.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am also considering my 15 years experience vaporizing everyday. I came up with the first popular widely used oil vaporizing system in late 2002, and have dabbed every day since then.

As for your observer bias theory on the e-nail, another observation I made, Is that every time i dab at about 620-650 as its on the rise, its even smoother and easier to inhale than at 675. I do that quite often.

Electrifying the Ti pad of a swing arm would have been a better direction than the current enails as you would have been able to swing it out of the way and brush it off with a small stainless steel brush.

Pic of an HMK rig,

https://aqualabtechnologies.com/hashmasta-kut-dichro-black-vertical-rig.html

Attachments

• vapor_rigs_150304-46.jpg
    vapor_rigs_150304-46.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 15

gumby420

I worked at a smoke shop for a long time and always got questions about e nail temp settings. EVERYONES e nail setting will be different. It all depends on how the PID controller was calibrated, what size and what type of coil you have, 16-24mm coils or flat coil. depends if that coil is sitting on quartz, titanium, saphire, or any of the other materials D Nail has put out. My D Nail it set at 720, my Disorderly Conduction is set at 560. When i take my IR gun to measure temps they are both at about 680.
As far as e nails go, an IR gun is your friend. And once you figure out that temp, set it and forget it.