What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My Frist Grow

EL1M1N80R

Been looking to grow green for many many years and an oppertunity arose so I took it.

I read about the benefits of Flood and Drain in an Esoterics Hydrophonics leaflet and was convinced Flood and Drain is the way forward.

Another huge inspiring video was Mr Green: I Grow Chronic.

Got my set up as follows.

Strain: Unfortunately I don't know what strain it is. I do however know it is from a reputable seed bank. I got freebies from Nirvana and one of them cracked and wemt well. I have a 10 day old White Widow from Nirvana under a CFL as I speak.

Got the Mother in a top fed DWC bucket I built under a 125w Blue CFL, feeding it flora series 4ml/10L of each and 5ml/10L of Shogun Silicon.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
If you want info on my DIY builds drop me a line.

The Nursery is a drip feed from a reservior, another DIY job under a 125w Dual CFL. Same nutes as the mother only at varying strengths. Got some Shogun CalMag a couple days ago so when I do cuttings I'll be adding that in the mix.

My Flower Room is a 1.2 square Secret Jardin DR120 I purchased off ebay at unbeatable value of £120 new delivered. Some shops are £180.
Running a Lumatek 600w 400v dimmable on a 400w MH for a ScrOG and 600w 400v bulb for flower. Got a bargain on a Irriadtior Sunlight Systems 6" Air Cooled hood.
Running a Hyperfan stealth 6" with Rhino pro Fliter.
Built my Flood and Drain system myself. I recommend Sicce pumps, can't rate them enough for the performance and value. Running Sicce Novas for the Flood and Drain with no bother.
Got air stones in every reservoir for agitation and oxygenation.

Got 4 running under a ScrOG so here's hoping for a big yeild.

Considering Shogun Nutrients in the future. Been using Shogun Silicon and CalMag with impressive results. Thinking stick with GH Flora for nursery and Shogun Base and Suppliments for bloom next crop.

Peace :peacock:

Here is the latest update of the ScrOG. Thinking of switching into flower real soon. Do a bit of under the net lollipopping, a couple days recovdery then into flower. Getting excited.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

EL1M1N80R

Nice setup. Little hydro has always intrigued me.

:lurk:

Check out Mr Green I Grow Chronic for a basic idea building a kit yourself.

After reading an Esoteric Hydrophonic catalogue on the pros of Ebb & Flow then watching Mr Green Hydro was the only option I would consider. This was in the mid 2000s, since then DWCs have become a popular hydro option but I wasn't convinced.

Lots more control with hydro, faster grow and faster flush. Once it's set up right it's plug and play. A res change every 2 week, for veg anyway. A little bit of time each day checking the res and that's it. No worry about feeding times.

I definitely recommend checking out Mr Green. It's on YouTube for free if you think my constant reference is some sales pitch :tiphat:

OldPhart

Lots more control with hydro, faster grow and faster flush. Once it's set up right it's plug and play. A res change every 2 week, for veg anyway. A little bit of time each day checking the res and that's it. No worry about feeding times.

I agree, hydro is ideal for the person that doesn't want to worry about stuff. I have overheard several grow shops try to tell customers how much more difficult hydro is, it just makes me chuckle. Hell, just peruse through the people with issues here, majority of issues posted here are soil/coco. Very few straight up hydro (rock wool, Hydroton, DWC, NFT), in comparison to the number of soil/coco. Well I have probably done got the dirt farmers stirred up, so I will say that soil and sunlight is probably the best method, not too many will argue with mother nature. But we are really far from nature when we start trying to grow indoors, and hydro is the ultimate shortcut for me.

EL1M1N80R

I agree, hydro is ideal for the person that doesn't want to worry about stuff. I have overheard several grow shops try to tell customers how much more difficult hydro is, it just makes me chuckle. Hell, just peruse through the people with issues here, majority of issues posted here are soil/coco. Very few straight up hydro (rock wool, Hydroton, DWC, NFT), in comparison to the number of soil/coco. Well I have probably done got the dirt farmers stirred up, so I will say that soil and sunlight is probably the best method, not too many will argue with mother nature. But we are really far from nature when we start trying to grow indoors, and hydro is the ultimate shortcut for me.

I went to the grow shop when first starting out and the guy would overtly patronise me for not having any experience what so ever.
It was like he was intentionaly trying to belittle me with his great knowlegde.
I found out the other grow shop was still open and haven't looked back. He is much more friendly and gives great advice.

I got that "it's been growing in nature for 400,000 years" speech from the first guy and I was belittled for having the mind set of "it's growing in rockwool, in a cupboard under a light you arrogant prick".

:biggrin:

Last edited:

EL1M1N80R

Grow Update:

About to switch over to flower in the next day or 2.

All the big fan leaves were trimmed off 5 days ago and it was looking really skinny. Now it is back with a nice little stretch.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Expecting another stretch into flowering. I'll be back with another update.

The White Widow in the Nursery is coming along nicely. Compared to the unknown plant I got the the tent it looking really bushy with fat fan leaves.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

The Widow was what I wanted to grow initially but cracking seeds in winter all I got to go was the Nirvana freebee.

Here is the mother for the Freebee. I might keep it because it might be a good smoke or a big yeilder. Some people have said if they knew what their Frebee strain was they would order more from Nirvana because it was that good.
[/FONT]

Attachments

• Grow 6 Update.jpg
    Grow 6 Update.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Grow 7 Update.jpg
    Grow 7 Update.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Grow 8 Update.jpg
    Grow 8 Update.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Mother Update.jpg
    Mother Update.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Nursery White Widow.jpg
    Nursery White Widow.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 18

EL1M1N80R

Update 2

Update 2

Flipped the switch to 12/12 on Saturday (5 days ago) and it is really starting to get bushy.

Humidity is getting really high and frankly, out of control.

Got a slim tower fan in the post and a 14L/24H dehumidifier on it's way, unfortunately it won't arrive till next month.

Done some moderate defoliation yesterday as there was damp spots on the leaves across the grow. I can see this mutate to White Powdery Mildew or Mould with out adequate air circulation and humidity under control.

Anyways, the plants looked a sickly after working my way through the dense jungle pruning away.

Today it has bounced back like a warrior.

I noticed the stalks have fattened up big time and where the stems come off the main stalks each node has a big knuckle. I will put that down to the Shogun Silicon. Can't recommend it enough.

I'll get some snaps of that at a later date.

Attachments

• Grow 12 Update.jpg
    Grow 12 Update.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Grow 11 Update.jpg
    Grow 11 Update.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Grow 10 Update.jpg
    Grow 10 Update.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Grow 9 Update.jpg
    Grow 9 Update.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 13

EL1M1N80R

Mother Update

Mother Update

Mother is coming on well. Much faster than the Nirvana mystery freebee now in flower.
[/FONT]

The roots are definitley growing faster than the last strain. That is 4.5 week old and the other strain was over 2 month before roots were coming out the bottom. Another reference to Shogun Fertilisers, this time Katana Roots.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

Attachments

• Mother 3 Update.jpg
    Mother 3 Update.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Mother 4 Update.jpg
    Mother 4 Update.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Mother 5 Update.jpg
    Mother 5 Update.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 14

doams

I am running one ww myself shes a heaviest feeder among all the other strains in box! and was unhappy /light greenish-yellow etc./ but after upping nutes to 550-600ppm shes looking much better now.

F

FreeUrMind

Best first grow setup I have seen.going to be a big yield for sure...hats off to you bro
You got green thumb

EL1M1N80R

I am running one ww myself shes a heaviest feeder among all the other strains in box! and was unhappy /light greenish-yellow etc./ but after upping nutes to 550-600ppm shes looking much better now.

I have it on 2ml/10L of each GH flora series with 2ml/10L silicon and 1ml/10L of katana Roots and it's definitely growing faster and looks healthier than the strain I have in flower.

I did read on a seed bank site WW will produce 900grm/meter square under a Scrog.

Here is hoping.

EL1M1N80R

Best first grow setup I have seen.going to be a big yield for sure...hats off to you bro
You got green thumb

Appreciate that.

I have been researching Growing green for many many years. I think being unable to grow made me research even more.

Have made a few rookie mistakes throughout the grow but we learn from mistakes.

I only hope the canopy density does not result in mould or mildew.

I recently read moderate defoliation in an indoor setup is fine due to conditions under a constant light. Where as removing some fan leaves in an outdoor environment can hurt the plant because the lighting cannot be controlled.

Read from another user who can pull 1.5 to 2lbs in a Scrog to use a secondary net. He suggests what I done, fill the entire net with Scrog before flipping.

EL1M1N80R

Update End of Week 1

Update End of Week 1

This is after a moderate trim of the fan leaves done on Friday to free up some space and improve air circulation.

Got a new slim tower fan delivered and I have to say it ideal for the grow tent.

Dimplex Mont Blanc 1.2m tall Slim Tower fan. The coverage is perfect for under the scrog net circulation and covers above the canopy too. Nice and slim to fit through the net. Had to remove the rear of the base plate to get it in tent and as close to the corner as possible.

£50 new from Ebay with free delivery. Very happy

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

Attachments

• Grow 15 Update.jpg
    Grow 15 Update.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Grow 14 Update.jpg
    Grow 14 Update.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Grow 13 Update.jpg
    Grow 13 Update.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 14

EL1M1N80R

Grow Update

Grow Update

Took some photos using different filters to try and get a good caputre without the blinding lights.

Coming close to end of week 2 with a few tall colas appearing. Expecting to see the begining of bud soon.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

Attachments

• Grow 16 Update.jpg
    Grow 16 Update.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Grow 17 Update.jpg
    Grow 17 Update.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Grow 18 Update.jpg
    Grow 18 Update.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Grow 19 Update .jpg
    Grow 19 Update .jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 18

Tbonegrower

Try putting a piece of white paper in there and resetting your white balance based on that. It tends to correct the blinding light and off color.

EL1M1N80R

Try putting a piece of white paper in there and resetting your white balance based on that. It tends to correct the blinding light and off color.

Is that like use the white paper to set the white balance then take a picture?

I was just using an Iphone. I'll look into it after.

Thanks
:tiphat:

EL1M1N80R

Update: End of Week 3

Update: End of Week 3

Back from a long weekend in Amsterdam to streched out plants, touching the glass of the hood. Had to remove the ratchet hangers and hook the hood directly to the hanging hooks.

The ScrOGing out period was left too long, duly noted for next crop.

Starting to see bud formation and getting a slight wiff of weed when I open my front door. Did smell like Lemon Haze, so here is hoping. Got Ona gel in this moring so that is a huge relief for the smell, I got the polar crystal. Any recomendations for another scent from Ona?

Doing the recommended dose from GH Flora Series @10/5/15ml per 10L and getting a PPM of around 650. Might have to bump up the recommend dose to 1.5 possibly 2. Try and get more PPM of nutes.

The roots are now in the reservior. They have traced the water out of the overflow and are now residing in the main reservior. I put modelling mesh around the inlet to prevent the roots chasing the nutrient solution when the tray is draining to prevent clogging the inlet and the pump, never considered having this issue with the overflow. Another patch to mend in the future. Hoping the roots don't clog the overflow otherwise the water will be pumped directly on the tent floor.

Attachments

• Grow 23 Update.jpg
    Grow 23 Update.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 13
  • Grow 22 Update.jpg
    Grow 22 Update.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Grow 21 Update.jpg
    Grow 21 Update.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Grow 20 Update.jpg
    Grow 20 Update.jpg