What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

sealed rooms doubts

IngFarmer

so I have some questions about sealed rooms...cos I'm thinking to give it a try
1) when I hear sealed. do we actually mean hermetically sealed like a food flask? what about the space under the door?
2) checking on some sealed rooms on the forums it seems most ppl scrub the air of the sealed room with carbon filters...but if the room is sealed why scrub the air? nothing is going out and nothing is going in why the scrubbing? or is just for the farmer to have a less stenchy air to breath?
3) I've also seen ppl insulating the walls of their sealed rooms, if I have a room made of concrete, is there a need to insulate the wall? it makes no sense to me...

thanks to all who would shed light in advance .. :)

HqFarms

Even in a sealed room, the stench can leak out. Hence using scrubbers.

Concrete is not the same as insulation. Insulating the room will help you better control your environment and keep your room at constant temp

rykus

Concrete is cooler than the air and can sweat or condensate and create issues as well... but yeah a carbon filter cleans the air removing smell but also contaminants in the air... sealed rooms are great but ideal conditions need to be met imo to get the big advantages ... really a joy to work in when they are dailed though!

Miraculous Meds

These guys pretty well covered it for u. The chances are low that u will create 100% seal so some smell will leak, especially when entering the grow. And the condensation on concrete walls in a grow is a disaster waiting to happen. Dry lok seal it, then insulate.

IngFarmer

These guys pretty well covered it for u. The chances are low that u will create 100% seal so some smell will leak, especially when entering the grow. And the condensation on concrete walls in a grow is a disaster waiting to happen. Dry lok seal it, then insulate.

thanks Miraculous! what do you mean by "Dry lok seal it..."???

Wendull C.

Veteran
I had a cop put a k 9 on my unit after busting the warehouse units beside mine. Because of the scrubber in the rooms and a fan creating negative pressure in the dormer on the 16' ceiling I got to live for another two years.

That is what a scrubber is for. You still have to open the door to get in and out. It is not sealed like a flask.

Two 20 lb. Co2 bottles would last all veg and flower in that room though. When we had a trim party the co2 got over 8000 ppm with the doors closed. I didn't notice it until I got mad as hell for no reason, and the girls were getting headaches. That is how sealed the room was.

Btw , you will never beat the yield of a sealed room. I got 17.5 pounds from 8 lights of sfv og from that section of room with larf it was closer to 20. Same techniques same ferts same strain gives 1 a light with intake and exhaust. I never run unsealed anymore unless I am setting up and don't want to spend the capital.

Wendull C.

Veteran
Forgot, buy a dehuey that is double what you need. It will save you headaches and extra heat. Good luck man.

Miraculous Meds

thanks Miraculous! what do you mean by "Dry lok seal it..."???

It's a paint/water sealer. Maybe a good idea to use a mold resistant paint/sealant too.

U can achieve superior quality and yield with a exhaust grow, or lung room. I recirculate my rooms into a lung room. The lung room is temp n rh controlled to make the rooms run perfect with the rooms exchanging air twice a minute. This creates massive negative pressure. Even when u open a door all the air is still be drawn in the grow room, pulling thru the exhaust fan n carbon filter. Ur odor control is 95% plus effective that way. In a scrubbing set up, ur about 66% efficiency. Now if ur completely sealed that's good enough, until u open a door.

IngFarmer

It's a paint/water sealer. Maybe a good idea to use a mold resistant paint/sealant too.

U can achieve superior quality and yield with a exhaust grow, or lung room. I recirculate my rooms into a lung room. The lung room is temp n rh controlled to make the rooms run perfect with the rooms exchanging air twice a minute. This creates massive negative pressure. Even when u open a door all the air is still be drawn in the grow room, pulling thru the exhaust fan n carbon filter. Ur odor control is 95% plus effective that way. In a scrubbing set up, ur about 66% efficiency. Now if ur completely sealed that's good enough, until u open a door.

so if I understood right, you're of the idea that there is no need wasting money and time/energy on lots of insulation material to cover all that surface area of my concrete wall rooms but a water proof paint / mold resistant paint (white) will do?
I specified concrete walls because I noticed most sealed rooms are built with wood..

Miraculous Meds

No, I've just been bitten by this problem, so I was talking about doing both. I'm no construction expert, so maybe it's logical only to do one of these. After having moisture n condensation problems causing mold, I'd make sure u don't have either possibility happen to u. It's much easier to prevent it rather than repair it, n cause a crop loss.

If there is any seepage issues where the walls soak thru from rain water, fix said problem around the house, but this is where drylok sealer is a good choice. In either case u definately want to insulate any area u will be growing in, otherwise condensation n mold r almost a guarantee when that warm air hits the cold concrete basement walls when it's cool outside.

That's been my experience. I hope u avoid those issues.

IngFarmer

No, I've just been bitten by this problem, so I was talking about doing both. I'm no construction expert, so maybe it's logical only to do one of these. After having moisture n condensation problems causing mold, I'd make sure u don't have either possibility happen to u. It's much easier to prevent it rather than repair it, n cause a crop loss.

If there is any seepage issues where the walls soak thru from rain water, fix said problem around the house, but this is where drylok sealer is a good choice. In either case u definately want to insulate any area u will be growing in, otherwise condensation n mold r almost a guarantee when that warm air hits the cold concrete basement walls when it's cool outside.

That's been my experience. I hope u avoid those issues.

oh thanks! I'm patting my own back right now for insisting on that clarification! lol :D
thanks soo much Miraculous Meds, these infos for free are gold!

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
You are getting good advice

You are getting good advice

If I did another set up I would avoid sheet rock as well, even the mold resistant. The 4x8 foam board insulation has done me well. Take the time to tape the seams and corners real well and cover it in some kind of panda film and you will eliminate a lot of potential problems. Set up a good way to catch and remove all runoff. A mini split, a good dehuey, and some co2 and you can surpass 1.5 grams a watt once you find the right mom. With a ventilated room it's hard to hit 1 per.