What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco Pellets

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't like:
-cloning/germinating in not coco re: mixing mediums
-seed flats
-small pots in trays
-lots of other things and people including many of you

I hate:
-peat pucks
-pete pucks
-piotr pucks

I like:
-coco
-densely packed trays (such as with .. peat pucks).

I don't see much mention on coir pucks beyond passing references. If anyone has experience with coir pucks, positive or better yet, negative (Don't Do What Donny Dont Did), it would be greatly appreciated if you could spare a few words.

Price and quality look to vary greatly, typically 2-3 times that of peat.

Got the ball rolling the other day when a nursery had a small sac of 25 for 5CAD. I have no expectations and will destroy a few for a slurry test. I'll nail the brand down the next time I am in there.

I've killed enough clones and seeds with good intentions, what's a few more in the name of rocket appliances.

I think if all else fails, panty hose, a jig, shop press and a bag of Canna may well do. And some mesh to keep it all together.

troutman

Seed Whore
I tried peat pellet once for cucumbers and they worked.

The only cool thing about them is when they swell in the water to full size.

Other than that I'll stick with soil. The latest soil I've been buying has coir
mixed in with peat moss and the rest of the usual stuff. It's a Pro-Mix type.

I've never tried pure coir though. :tiphat:

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
I don't think anything beats promix for seeds. I use a aerocloner for clones then put them in straight coco. Goodluck Mikell!!!

Asslover

Veteran
Instead of coco pellets my buddy uses a black tray thats used for plugs and puts coco in the holes. Same thing as using pellets, without the need to buy pellets :biggrin: Works as good as any other method of cloning.

MrBungle

I used to prefer coco pucks over peat pucks till someone told me to squeeze the hydrated puck to loosen up the peat in the mesh...

My guess is there wasn't enough airflow through the pucks that I didn't squeeze... ever since jiffy 7s ftw

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ah good tip. I still use Jiffy peats at work.

I have tried that Asslover, and the cheapo pull apart inserts. I like the ability to pull pucks as they root to a certain point, and as I usually have 5-6 cultivars per tray rooting times can vary considerably.

Should be picking up distilled in the next day or so.