What's new

Yellow new growth in 12/12 Deficiency or Trichomes??

gtg341w

I have done multiple searches of this on the forums, and the only similar responses seem to be happening in soil.

I have 3 plants in a DWC res. 16 gal, 6.0 PH, 3 wks 12/12, Gen Hydroponics trio, CalMagic, and liquid koolbloom. 600w HID.

Approx ~900 PPM until my last res change (3 days before the pictures) and about 750 PPM now.

I made the mistake of going to the GH recommended 'Early Bloom' nute schedule. Seems like most people stick with their veg nutes through stretch or go with the 1:1:1 ratio suggested for transition.

Two of my three plants are doing great, but one is showing some yellowing on the new growth. There is minor canoeing of some of the leaves and all of the new growth is yellow on the tips of the new leaves closest to the stem (same place that the trichomes are growing) the middle of the leaves and the tips are a normal color. I really dont think that its heat stress because I just upgraded to a more stealthy ventilation system that keeps everything much cooler. 68 at night / 77~79 in the day. Also the canoeing leaves are the furthest leaves from the light.

Is this yellowing a nute def that I need to be concerned about? Do I need to ad calmag? do I need to folair feed something? Or is this yellow area within the normal range?

Because of the HPS its hard to see the yellow, and I am not on the computer with photoshop. The lighter areas are yellow and the darker areas are a normal green.

Thanks for your help.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

gtg341w

Don't know if this helps, but this is Dream Machine from Seedsman seeds. Haven't seen anyone on ICMAG growing this strain, but it has Afghan x Indian x Brazilian genetics.

Maybe more of the breeders out there know why the Afghan Kush and the Royal Medic x Shark Shock are doing great, and the Dream Machine is struggling.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
It's looking like magnesium deficiency.

Again, you'll get better results and fewer deficiency issues with 1:2 micro:bloom. With the 1:2 ratio you'll only need to add epsom salt for your magnesium variables due to strain/phenotype. The extra sulfur will help as well with terpene production. It's about $3-5 for a bag of pure magnesium sulfate. *Most* cal/mag concoctions include calcium nitrate, adding additional nitrogen you don't want or need with the 1:2 ratio. :)

Your pH should be slowly rising. Full nutrient absorption happens when the pH begins at 5.4 in dwc/roots-in hydro systems. Top off with pure r/o water every day and drop the pH with nutrients when it hits 5.8-6.0. Once the initial pH has been set, all your pH changes happen through the removal and addition of nutrients. ;)

gtg341w

I believe that I saw some pure Epsom Salt at my local hydro store...I will pickup today and add when the lights come on tonight.

That makes more sense about the PH, mine has been sitting at 6.0, but I haven't added anything but fresh water except at the res changes every 7~10 days.

Thanks @Douglas.Curtis

gtg341w

I hope that this works out, because the girls look like they are coming up up in the end of stretch, so I am not sure how much new growth I am going to get after that.

Douglas.Curtis

Epsom will be cheaper at the grocery store. ;)

I predict this run will turn out significantly better than it would have, if you hadn't popped on here and asked for help. :D You're doing great. :)

gtg341w

I agree whole heartedly... there were a few issues with root rot and res temps early on, and then a lot of good advice to not 'over-love' my plants, and now this...

I added a small quantity of Epsom salt yesterday (trying to take it slow) and some of the yellow has receded, am going to bump a little more today, and will update on the results.

Even given a good search of the forums, this is apparently not a common issue. 1 of 3 plants outer leaves yellowing in the first weeks of flower.

gtg341w

Quick Update

Quick Update

I took a few pictures yesterday just after the lights went off. Looks like most of the yellow edges are gone, and what is left is minor.

-Epsom Salt added
-Water is 5.7 PH drifting upwards
-pushed the PPMs right up to 900~920
-water temps stable 67~71
-raised the light 6" or so just in case it was light burn.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last picture is a different strain that is doing fine in the exact same conditions. All 4 weeks of flower.

picture.php

Douglas.Curtis

Yep, mag is the number one largest variable in 'need' for cannabis. A 'general' mix can be not enough for some strains and too much for others.

Last edited:
Hey FSG HERE , this might be too late but , I used to run the same general hydro trio and throughout the whole flowering period , I kept chasing the ph every single day . I kept reading around for a better nute and came upon Jacks hydro 5 12 26 with cal/nit 15 0 0 with tap water (180ppm) and at the recommended dosage of a teaspoon per gal (aprox 600 ppm ) plus Hydroguard I CHECK PH ONCE A WEEK and change reservoir maybe twice in 10 weeks . Good luck FSG.

DeficienyGuy

Can't figure out deficiency

Can't figure out deficiency

Growing 2 plants. Dwc.
RO water
3ml per gallon
Photosynthesis Plus,hydro guard
3 part flora series
Ppm 600 range.
Water temp around 70

Never had any issues with any grows. This one, I'm stumped. Showing signs the past 3 weeks of calcium deficiency. Have fully flushed, and still having the same issue. Top growth is worse than the middle. Even though the middle is showing the same signs. Roots are healthy, but for the life of me, can't pin point the issue
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1495942380131-778370917.jpg
    1495942380131-778370917.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 1495942415815-1137120896.jpg
    1495942415815-1137120896.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 11

Douglas.Curtis

3ml cal mag per gal*
Without knowing the balance of the mix being used (infinite ways to mix Flora 3-part), suggesting cal-mag is rather useless. Cal-mag is the number one most over-suggested bottled 'fix' to ever hit the cannabis community.

Unless you're quite sure the mix is low in magnesium AND calcium AND nitrogen, you'd be better off trying a pinch of epsom salts first. Significantly easier to retain quality of the end cannabis this way.

Really much better to -know- what's in your mix first. ;)

Douglas.Curtis

Hey FSG HERE , this might be too late but , I used to run the same general hydro trio and throughout the whole flowering period , I kept chasing the ph every single day
Nutes are a natural pH down. Plants using nutes causes a natural pH up action. You'll find the best results can be obtained with cannabis by using this function to your advantage.

As mentioned, start your pH at the bottom of the healthy pH range and let the pH rise to the top of the healthy pH range. Add nutes to drop the pH back to the bottom healthy range. Lather rinse repeat.

This works perfectly when the res is mixed with only R/O water and only topped off with r/o water. No pH adjusted water, no tap water, no nutrient rich add-back. Just plain r/o top off daily.

Cater to what the plant evolved with, which is a variable pH range in the root zone. She'll reward you when you finally get it right. :tiphat: