What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3 plus 3=?

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran
:yes: thx for the update GMT! Sorry you had a visit from the reversionists, but these multifolate girls can be so fickle :wink: Be safe, be happy...

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so that means from 4 branches at the node the next only produced 2 branches..?then its a great idea topping her ....4 mains should give you quite a pull....if its a girls that is?
looks handsome like that though....but got a Q...if she would of produced 4 branches after that node again and again.....would she then be considerd polyploidy?
just asking...:chin:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hi MGJ, yeah its a pity, and I should have used fresh compost rather than the dregs of an old bag thats been lying around for a while. Appart from that one quad featured, any that conform to normality are immediately killed off. Their sacrifice always frees up room for another seed to be sprouted.

Hi Core, yep thats what happened with it, so I let it go one further node just to see how many would be there, and when that was only 2 as well, I took her back to her good nodes and let her carry on from there, I'm hoping one branch will show something interesting and then I can either take the other 3 off, or clone the one interesting one. The trouble with breeding with the tri/quad traitors is that the offspring may be more likely to also be a traitor and revert to normality after an interesting start. So Plans are really uncertain on that plant. But no matter how consistently it put out 4 branches per node, it still wouldn't be justifiable to call it polyploid. It may well be, but then so may any of the plants in your garden. Polyploids are not polyploids because they look a certain way, or because they have certain growth characteristics.
Humans, and most animal based living things are Haploids. That means their DNA is arranged in 2 strings, one from the mother and one from the father. It forms a structure called a double helix, and that is what we think of as being standard dna. In humans 10% of pregnancies fail because either the male or the female chain passed onto the offspring, failed to separate into one chain, and both are passed onto to the embryo, creating 3 chains of dna. This is a child which has a triploid DNA. They always fail in humans and the pregnancy results in miscarridge. The failure to split happens in around 5% of the time from both male and female, which means that in 0.25% of cases the result is a tetraploid creation. ie. 2 from the mother and 2 from the father. Any case of life where there are more than 2 chains of dna, is refered to as being polyploid. There are certain plants in which this state is stable and viable. Some wheats can have 4 chains of dna polyploids/tetraploids. In some cases the state of exisistance is variable, for instance some plants can have regions where the common state is as tetraploids and in other areas they are haploids, with borders containing members of both groups. The interesting thing to note is that on these borders you do not find triploids. The 2 states are haploid or tetraploid. It has been theoried that due to the greater size of a tetraploid pollen molecule, a haploid female will not accept it and vice versa preventing interbreeding though the 2 groups are the same species of plant. The point to this is that to look at a plant you would not know how many chains of dna are sitting inside the nuclei of each cell. Meaning that any plant looked at may be haploid, triploid or theoretically "anyploid". Most MJ plants studied on this level though are diploids. Studies with certain chemicals when breeding cannabis have resulted in mutations showing such as polyploidity and plants which grow in the trifoliar structure. Typically 3 in 1,000 being polyploids and for trifoliars, numbers have been reported as low as 1 in 10,000. However because the results have produced both, and with triploid to someone who hasnt looking it sounding like a good description of something that has 3 leaves, it got into common language that trifoliars were triploids. And triploids can be refered to as polyploids legitimately, but trifoliars or quads cant. Ok Hope that clears it up a little.

Last edited:

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran
Their sacrifice always frees up room for another seed to be sprouted.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one..." I knew Spock grew weed.... :biglaugh:

Much :respect: GMT. There are not many folks who understand the genetic basis for "ploidity" outside the academic science community. You must have a good noggin on dem shoulders... :bow: Great explanation!

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
lol, its rare for ethnic cleansing to be greated with such reverence. Still, the birth of a new race should always be encouraged I think. I'm sure Spock would also have aproved of the many making a few sacrifices for the good of the one when that one is execptional. Actually I watched an episode last night where Spock came out with one of his best lines, "we must accept that the only purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis". Totally irrelevant to the thread, but it had me in stitches. Thanks for the props on the ploidy thingy mjiggy. 3 days of OCD relapse with little sleep spent searching the accademic sites and research studies and then looking up what the words meant on other sites lol.

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for the explenation GMT ...i woz just wondering if you could see if it would be a polyploidy with the naked eye, by that i mean making more branches with Four nodes on the intire plant.....
i woz just thinking you could make the assuption if the intire plant shows 4 braches on every node she would be polyploidy...
but i guess it can only be discoverd with a proper DNA analysis

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
A quick look at reversion. First pic started out with 4 cottys, then put out what looked like 4 single blades, though 2 of them were fused together. Next layer was normalish, kind of fused leaves, then a layer of triness, which seems to be continuing. I'm keeping it out of interest.

Next up is one that started out tri, and reverted to normal, this one is not being kept around.

This is what I'm looking for, it started out tri and never exhibitted anything else, still time though.

DimeBag65

You will not be forgotten
Veteran
Very interesting indeed GMT :chin:

that last picture looks great! and im looking forward to seeing what you can come up with on these ladies.

in the first picture it will be interesting to see if it continues with the tri or goes back to quads...

I will be eagerly awaiting to watch more as i am sure you are as well... this really sparks my interest. I havnt seen this happen with any plant that has grown well.. in a few mutants maybe but they didnt grow very well...

I will be watching for your updates :joint:

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran

Holy Guano Batman - that is probably the most striking pot plant I've personally seen!!! :bow: The shape form and color of the leaves are uniquely beautiful - like a gorgeous Amerasian young lady - ladies please don't take offense :laughing: GMT, I'd grow that plant just for her looks - really!

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hi Dime, glad you likie. I'm sure you've been on other threads of mine though, and I dont think Ive had a thread without one of these. Ah well, stoner memory syndrome strikes again lol. Stick around, its transplant week, although the sun has finally come out, so I'm delaying the setting up of the 400w for a bit. We may actually get a summer after all.

Hi Amber, Whats OTM? 2 out of a pack of ten, great result for ya.

Hi MGJ, thanks mate. She is looking nice, (though not sexed yet, think positively), although I get that feeling that she deserves better than I am giving her. I just transplanted her to a bigger pot, but she wants more light than the 30w that she's getting, she'd be so much wider and stronger under harder lights. She has a good tri companion not featured above, as really I was showing the reversion thing. That one is taller but stayed true to triness, just not as pretty, I suspect that one of being male.

packn2puff

IC Official Assistant to the Insistent
Veteran
Damn for a guy who has a bug-o-phobia you sure get a variety of pests trying to pinch your weed.. :cuss:

I like those big fat leaves as well..makes me want to go get some ranch dressing and a salad fork... :yummy:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hi Governor Packn, glad you like, seems to be a land war with some composts, is it mine because I paid for it, or is it the bugs land becasue their parents lived their lives there and they are born there. Still more important questions to be answered first, time for the sexing game, so, is it a he or a she?
Hi Amber, not sure I'd agree with you're statement wholeheartedly, I've had to add a lot to get what I wanted to the original DJ blue, wasn't really hard hitting enough for my tastes, but I do find the tri thing interesting, which is why I'm trying to keep that aspect of the blue in what I have now.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Sorry folks, fell into old habbits there and got lazy again. Well the sexing game, here they all were at the starting line, (although one made the move with me, a male tri from a side line that I never got the chance to breed with, sadly I wont get the chance this time either so He's now back in 16/8 until I get him used to that again when he'll go back into 24/0 for the third time, talk about a tease, poor bloke). You'll see which one he is, the one chopped to heck and back, doesnt matter what he looks like these days though as all I want from him are genes.

That pic was from the 7th, the first of many days under a very old hps bulb.
Now the rest are at a low resolution, for speed of upload. But are todays pics
The old male side view
Quad born, reverted and topped. Not sexed yet as of 13th.

The previously featured tri, is a he, and will be used to make the pure bruised nuts F4s.

The plant that was in the yellow square pot above was a male, and is now dead, with a female being put into his pot for the shot below.
Mom to be, so appart from having so many generations of one parent being trifoliar, the F4s will also have 2 generations of parent that are both trifoliar. I know mom isnt that impressive yet, but shes only had 6 days of 9 hours a day hps light, over the next 10-14 days, she will take off, then get repotted again, then she'll really develop under 13-14 hours of light. That'll slow her development just a little and give me time to seed her and leave room for a smoke. So that's the plan anyway, wanna see how it goes?

She sexed yesterday, so I guess according to my system, this is day 2 of flower. Oh and there is a young en in there too, but that's just for playing with really, I'll tell you more about that once I decide something. Well I now have a record of dates etc. so thats the update complete. :joint:

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
Hey GMT
Been following your lazy growing thread since I logged on here back in 06.
Will be sticking around to watch your show here as well

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Cool Dr Dog, same old thing, probably the same old faces too, Good to have you with us.