What's new

Calling all 4x8 tent growers, need advise

browntrout

Veteran
Looking for some help, just bought a cheap 4x8 tent and a cheap dimmable Vivosun 1000W MH/HPS light. A bit new to small scale ten grows.

It's more for testing different hybrids and breeding. Not going for massive yields just healthy 2-3' plants in quantity

How many plants do you guys run effectively under 1000W in soil?

Pictures of your setups would help.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Or 3x600W.
Or 6x 315W cmh ;)

koon - this is what i don't understand - i was told (maybe wrongly) that a 315w cmh is outputting close to a 600w mh/hps - if thats the case, '3' 315's should be enough to equal '3' 600watters...

i'm only on my 2nd cmh grow with '2' 315's in a 4x3.5' tent , n i don't think its enough lite n i'm going to add a led light on both sides...

Koondense

Veteran
Zach
I think the 315cmh and 600hps are in a different league, no matter what people say.
A fixture with 630cmh and a 1000hps are way closer in output and I think they can have a similar par light output except the cmh has a broader(better) spectrum and likely make better buds and resin.
So yes, you're probably right to add more light since the 315cmh fits best a 3x3 space(actually 80x80cm is perfect), the sides probably don't have enough intensity.
315 cmh is a bit better than a 400hps, not 600hps as many people say.

Ok, maybe for the OP's case with a 4x8 tent, two 630W CMH fixtures would be the best option. I'd go with this setup(or leds of course).

Cheers

browntrout

Veteran
Maybe I'll get a couple smaller full spectrum LEDs for the sides. CMH was my first option until I realized the current retail rate.

koon - this is what i don't understand - i was told (maybe wrongly) that a 315w cmh is outputting close to a 600w mh/hps - if thats the case, '3' 315's should be enough to equal '3' 600watters...

i'm only on my 2nd cmh grow with '2' 315's in a 4x3.5' tent , n i don't think its enough lite n i'm going to add a led light on both sides...

lol what? How does that even pass common sense?

315 W = 600 w???? :laughing:

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
I have a 4x8 and run two 600w cool tubes. I think two 1000w will be to much heat and frankly over kill for the size. Been running this set up for 10 years now. I can get from 6 to 8 plants in flower depending on the strain.

Defacto

I have a 4x8 and run two 600w cool tubes. I think two 1000w will be to much heat

I verify that Putmbk does have the awesome grow that he claims!
:)

fwiw, I struggle to keep it under 80 F degrees with 2 1000 watt bulbs in a 9' x 12' room.

browntrout

Veteran
I verify that Putmbk does have the awesome grow that he claims!
:)

fwiw, I struggle to keep it under 80 F degrees with 2 1000 watt bulbs in a 9' x 12' room.

I've got another 3 months of -C temps in separate building. (I live in the frozen wasteland of hoth FYI) I can keep building temps at 8C if I wanted, I am actually thinking with the air cooled ballast 6" fan setup etc. that I may loose to much heat and will need to regulate fan speed on intake / exhaust. that way the heaters external to tent can be turned down/off.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
I've got another 3 months of -C temps in separate building. (I live in the frozen wasteland of hoth FYI) I can keep building temps at 8C if I wanted, I am actually thinking with the air cooled ballast 6" fan setup etc. that I may loose to much heat and will need to regulate fan speed on intake / exhaust. that way the heaters external to tent can be turned down/off.
I use timers and router (speed) controls on all fans...works great. I also recirculate the light fan and vent it back into the room in the middle of winter to help get the heat up. I run flower at 74f and keep the humidity between 50 and 60% using this method.