What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hot and light mix soil in the same pot?

Sampas92

Just newbin
Hi guys
Sorry for the dumb question but i have 2 different soils. Both from biobizz, the light mix one and the allmix one (more fertilized).
Can i use both in the same pot?
Im running autos and i want to fill the bottom part of the pot with the hotter soil and maybe the sides, and fill the rest with the lightmix and pop my seed.
Will it work without burn my seedlings?
Btw i will be using a 6.5l pot 25cm height or a 15l aeropot
picture.php

Thanks guys

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
This is the way Subcool did when he transplanted seedlings. He would put the stronger soil on the bottom and the very sides, and then put the light soil right next to the roots and let the plant grow into the hotter soil.
The issue that I see that might arise is starting that plant in that big pot, it'll be much harder to water correctly for a newly sprouted plant. I'd still start in Solo cups and then transplant at about 10 days into that pot. That's the way I do it and have had no issues with burned roots.

Sampas92

Just newbin
This is the way Subcool did when he transplanted seedlings. He would put the stronger soil on the bottom and the very sides, and then put the light soil right next to the roots and let the plant grow into the hotter soil.
The issue that I see that might arise is starting that plant in that big pot, it'll be much harder to water correctly for a newly sprouted plant. I'd still start in Solo cups and then transplant at about 10 days into that pot. That's the way I do it and have had no issues with burned roots.
Thanks for the opinion midnight tokar.
The thing is, commonly the majority of people start autos in the final pot to not stress them on poting up..
I guess if i do very little watering with a spray bottle ill be able to keep them from root rot?
Also i will be adding coco and the soil will dry faster than just soil and every pot will have holes on the sides for better aereation and to dry a little bit faster..
Even with your opinion that potting up is better, would you think ill be good the way im thinking?

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
Thanks for the opinion midnight tokar.
The thing is, commonly the majority of people start autos in the final pot to not stress them on poting up..
I guess if i do very little watering with a spray bottle ill be able to keep them from root rot?
Also i will be adding coco and the soil will dry faster than just soil and every pot will have holes on the sides for better aereation and to dry a little bit faster..
Even with your opinion that potting up is better, would you think ill be good the way im thinking?

I've never grown in Coco so I'm totally unfamiliar with watering it. I've been hearing about transplant stress for many, many years and I don't have a clue what those people were doing or talking about with stressing their plants. I recently watched a YouTube video of a woman trying to transplant and if that's how those other people do it I can see why they're stressing their plants! She pretty much destroyed the root ball mainly because the soil was so dry and she beat the hell out of it.

My method of transplanting is to water the day before (the wet soil stays together much better) gently roll the cup, pot or grow bag in your hands to separate the soil from the edges. Turn the pot upside down with the stem between your fingers so you're supporting the root ball and plant and bump the bottom of the pot. The weight of the soil and plant will cause the whole thing to slide out. Have your new pot ready with soil in the bottom to the height you need and then fill in the sides and the top. I then water about half what I would normally use and water only around the edges of the new pot.

I occasionally use grow bags and this method even works great with these.
I have never seen any stress and usually the very next day the plant starts having explosive growth.

bibi40

Hi guys
Sorry for the dumb question but i have 2 different soils. Both from biobizz, the light mix one and the allmix one (more fertilized).
Can i use both in the same pot?
Im running autos and i want to fill the bottom part of the pot with the hotter soil and maybe the sides, and fill the rest with the lightmix and pop my seed.
Will it work without burn my seedlings?
Btw i will be using a 6.5l pot 25cm height or a 15l aeropot
View Image
Thanks guys

that' s a good way to go ,
no risk of burn ,
i did grow seedlings straight in all mix by times and they never burn .go to the 15l aeropot , 6,5l is not enough .

good grow !!!

;)

Sampas92

Just newbin
Thank you guys i already did it.
I didnt add coco to the mix just the 2 soils straigth from the bag but i will use the 6.5l pot.
My seed is now on a glass of water, tomorrow i will seed it
Thanks guys :D

bibi40

yes , cool ,

but why the 6,5l pot ?
you' ll get a littlest plant and lowest harvest with it ...

anyway , good grow mate ;)

Sampas92

Just newbin
yes , cool ,

but why the 6,5l pot ?
you' ll get a littlest plant and lowest harvest with it ...

anyway , good grow mate ;)
Indeed i will, but, this is gonna be my "first" grow, and my cab is skinny and since i dont have a reference in size of the plant in the 15l and on the 6.5l, and being afraid of 15l being to much for the size of the cab, i went with the 6.5l, maybe im being stupid, but i think its better to get a lower harvest and dial the grow and see what size she gets in the 6.5l to have a reference for what i can get on the 15l, im a newbie so kkkkkk
Thanks guys