What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What causes soil acidification!?

mimistow

I use biobizz(lightmix) and for feeding biobizz tripack + bioheaven + algamic.Temp is 21-26C when ligts on and 16-18C when off. RH is around 40%. In week 5 to 6 leafs started getting discolorated and having some patches of burn on them that i assume thats its not a fert overdose cause i was very moderate with the feedings.The story goes as follows.I firstly watered too much the sprouted seeds when i put them in the soil then i waited for a month to dry out and i stated feeding them once a week with biobizz starting with 0.5 lts upscaling to 1 lt till now(week7) most of the times i only watered them once a week and let the soil dry a lot causing a bit of droopiness but thats all.After week 5 things started getting worse with the leaves turning yellow from tthe bottom to the top .so in the middle of week 6 i decided to test the soil pH which turned out to range between 5.3 to 5.7 that led me to believe that a nutrient lock out is going on considering things getting worse .Now(week7) im yet in search on how to raise soil pH and why this happened and if thats the root of the problem .The other thing that im thinking is if the tap water im using that has chlorine killed the beneficial bacteria and turned the medium into "dead soil" so it cant manage the ph at itself but even if that happened why pH is so low (below 6) when at the same time the solution im feeding them stands at 6-6.2? tap water pH without and biobizz ferts has around 7.2 pH! Thank you for instance.Ill attach some photos of their recent look(week7).

Attachments

• IMG_20201208_195948.jpg
    IMG_20201208_195948.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20201208_195954.jpg
    IMG_20201208_195954.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20201208_200000.jpg
    IMG_20201208_200000.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20201208_200027.jpg
    IMG_20201208_200027.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20201208_200034.jpg
    IMG_20201208_200034.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20201208_200042.jpg
    IMG_20201208_200042.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20201208_200053.jpg
    IMG_20201208_200053.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20201208_195939.jpg
    IMG_20201208_195939.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 31

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use biobizz(lightmix) and for feeding biobizz tripack + bioheaven + algamic.Temp is 21-26C when ligts on and 16-18C when off. RH is around 40%. In week 5 to 6 leafs started getting discolorated and having some patches of burn on them that i assume thats its not a fert overdose cause i was very moderate with the feedings.The story goes as follows.I firstly watered too much the sprouted seeds when i put them in the soil then i waited for a month to dry out and i stated feeding them once a week with biobizz starting with 0.5 lts upscaling to 1 lt till now(week7) most of the times i only watered them once a week and let the soil dry a lot causing a bit of droopiness but thats all.After week 5 things started getting worse with the leaves turning yellow from tthe bottom to the top .so in the middle of week 6 i decided to test the soil pH which turned out to range between 5.3 to 5.7 that led me to believe that a nutrient lock out is going on considering things getting worse .Now(week7) im yet in search on how to raise soil pH and why this happened and if thats the root of the problem .The other thing that im thinking is if the tap water im using that has chlorine killed the beneficial bacteria and turned the medium into "dead soil" so it cant manage the ph at itself but even if that happened why pH is so low (below 6) when at the same time the solution im feeding them stands at 6-6.2? tap water pH without and biobizz ferts has around 7.2 pH! Thank you for instance.Ill attach some photos of their recent look(week7).

Ran out of calcium. dust with some good lime.

Mattbho

You can tell they drooped more than 1x by the early yellow fan leafs .

Ride it out ..
5 is early to be getting yellow leaves but week 7 your almost done!!

If reusing the soil after this grow it will definitely need some work. How did you ph your soil?

thailer

chlorine chloramine are not toxic to plants at the levels that are in drinking water. i had a different source that said the organisms are protected by the organic matter but i found this quick read article that says chlorine and chloramine are safe at the levels used for tap water. https://www.gardenmyths.com/chlorine-chloramine-plants/

i think it is mostly for compost tea and when using microbe innoculants that you should remove the chlorine because they are not protected by the organic matter in the soil.

mimistow

You can tell they drooped more than 1x by the early yellow fan leafs .

Ride it out ..
5 is early to be getting yellow leaves but week 7 your almost done!!

If reusing the soil after this grow it will definitely need some work. How did you ph your soil?
well you are correct.The whole problem started with droopines of the whole plant back when it was healthy(week 5 or so) and green.I pHed the soil with a hanna soil pH meter.But its a bit frustrating that i didnt manage to find out what caused the problem.

mimistow

chlorine chloramine are not toxic to plants at the levels that are in drinking water. i had a different source that said the organisms are protected by the organic matter but i found this quick read article that says chlorine and chloramine are safe at the levels used for tap water. https://www.gardenmyths.com/chlorine-chloramine-plants/

i think it is mostly for compost tea and when using microbe innoculants that you should remove the chlorine because they are not protected by the organic matter in the soil.
yeah you are right ,althouhg what could cause such a low ph in the soil?:shucks:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The dirt I got from a pond to raise another area had a low PH like that. I tilled in a bunch of ag lime (it comes from a limestone quarry BTW), but the chemical process is rumored to take a few months. Meanwhile the growth is slow and yellow.

Would adding some baking soda to the water before watering do any good? That may fix the PH quicker, but I have no idea if it can hurt.

mimistow

The dirt I got from a pond to raise another area had a low PH like that. I tilled in a bunch of ag lime (it comes from a limestone quarry BTW), but the chemical process is rumored to take a few months. Meanwhile the growth is slow and yellow.

Would adding some baking soda to the water before watering do any good? That may fix the PH quicker, but I have no idea if it can hurt.
Well i bought a ph up to raise the nutrient solution im feeding with but imo that wont make any drastic difference in the soil.Maybe a flush with 7ph water would help but the main reason i came to the forum is to find out what caused that problem

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Certain fertilizers change the pH one way or another as part of the plant/root zone nutrient metabolism. No idea whether your fert will always do this if unflushed. You need runoff when you water.

mimistow

Certain fertilizers change the pH one way or another as part of the plant/root zone nutrient metabolism. No idea whether your fert will always do this if unflushed. You need runoff when you water.
Well im using the same brand as the soil for the ferts so i thought they would be compatible but who knows!

G.O. Joe

Veteran
It boils down to an imbalance between H3O and OH. You do not have enough buffer capacity for the acid produced by the plant under the conditions you're using. There could be many reasons.