What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can Clones under 24 hours light go straight outdoors to 12-12 at the Equator ?

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Ok, so I have about twenty clones taken from an ACE Seeds pure Sativa Zamaldelica mother, and they are all currently under 24 hour light, with no darkness hours at all.

My lighting is provided by a pair of cheap Chinese LED lights that run in relays around the clock, whereby one light is off, while the other is on, under the control of two independent timers. I also have a fan connected to one of the timers, so that every hour, the fan kicks in and runs for one hour, before timing out for an hour, around the clock, to ensure good air circulation.

I have read in this and other forums, that indoor illuminated clones must be pre-conditioned for transplant outdoors, by gradually phasing in some hours of darkness, until the light schedule is close to the natural outdoor daylight duration.

Now, since these plants are from a pure Sativa strain that takes a good few months to flower under natural sunlight outdoors, and since the timers require quite a lot of fiddly programming to change their on-off settings, I got to wondering whether I can simply leave the clones under their current 24-hour lights-on schedule, and place them outside, where the daylight and darkness hours are 12-12 year round, here at the Equator in the tropics.

In other words, is it likely that the pure sativa strains I have going indoors under 24 hours of light, will prematurely flower when transplanted outdoors into a natural 12-12 daylight cycle, or is it possible that the pure sativa genetics will prevent premature flowering, whereby the clones will continue to veg for a few more months, before going to flower when they have attained a good size ? Any advice from the pros here, would be much appreciated.

El Timbo

I would imagine that they will begin flowering. Note that Reunion Island is 21º south of the equator.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Hi Swamp.

If you put them out under 12/12, they will flip to flower right away. But don't be sad, there's a solution.

I've been to Ecuador often and it always amazes me how fast the sun goes down. Almost like someone flicking a light switch. lol. I'm on the ocean and the first week I was there I saw the beautiful sunset and ran to get my camera only to miss it. You got to have your camera ready. It's that fast. But I digress. Still, this is a trick someone down there uses.

If you can give it a little light for 2-4 hours, it will stay in veg. The person I know was using a few normal 100w light bulbs.

ON at 4am for 2 hours (off at sunrise), and ON at 6 pm for 2 hours (after sunset).

I don't know, but I would think that 1+1 supplemental light might work Someone else might be able to tell you if they'll stay in veg with 14/10. One extra hour at night & in the morning, or 2 extra morning or 2 at night would be easy very to do.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Now that I think of it, someone on here was using 12hr + 1hr of a 100w bulb in the middle of the night to keep his plants from flowering (and save on Hydro).

I'll see if I can find the thread and post it here.

El Timbo

I use a solar powered light with a sensor - it comes on automatically when it gets dark and stays on for as long as it has power in the battery - usually around 6 hours. For 20 plants spaced out you might need several lights though.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Hi Swamp.

If you put them out under 12/12, they will flip to flower right away. But don't be sad, there's a solution.

I've been to Ecuador often and it always amazes me how fast the sun goes down. Almost like someone flicking a light switch. lol. I'm on the ocean and the first week I was there I saw the beautiful sunset and ran to get my camera only to miss it. You got to have your camera ready. It's that fast. But I digress. Still, this is a trick someone down there uses.

If you can give it a little light for 2-4 hours, it will stay in veg. The person I know was using a few normal 100w light bulbs.

ON at 4am for 2 hours (off at sunrise), and ON at 6 pm for 2 hours (after sunset).

I don't know, but I would think that 1+1 supplemental light might work Someone else might be able to tell you if they'll stay in veg with 14/10. One extra hour at night & in the morning, or 2 extra morning or 2 at night would be easy very to do.

With this explanation kindly provided, I will now make the effort to adjust the timers so they provide light between 4am and 8pm, while still in the clone room, because the outdoor location is deep in the swamp, where I won't be able to provide supplemental lighting for stealth reasons.

El Timbo, your reminder of Reunion Island's location well below the equator, is also appreciated, as this information does confirm that the Zamal strains are not pure Equatorial varieties, and therefore may be triggered to flower right away under 12-12 lighting.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Good plan swamp. It would be better to do it inhouse because growth is directly correlated to the amount of light (photosynthesis). So your plants will get bigger as opposed to just interrupting the dark.

Ive thrown a lot of plants out at lots of random times of the year. Here in southern california anything earlier than June will usually always automatically flower. The only options is to provide supplemental lighting to counter that and keep them in veg. If you can't provide them with light outdoors at night a solid option is to veg them out however big you want...lets say 4 ft, now when you put them outdoors theyll flip into flower but remember they will often double in size during that transition so youre ending up with a 6-8 ft plant and getting a good yeild for the work youre putting in! Good luck have fun!

swapmeet

I am in a place that is pretty much 12/12 all year around. The way I use that to my advantage is to veg indoors until I think they are ready to flower. Then I put them outside to flower. This grow I am at the beginning of now will be my first attempt at a perpetual harvest. In this way, I can take a bunch of clones from my mothers and veg them for a month or so. Then I can begin moving 2-3 little bushes outside each week. I will start by taking way more clones than I need each week. Eventually, I will be putting big bushes outside each week.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
I am in a place that is pretty much 12/12 all year around. The way I use that to my advantage is to veg indoors until I think they are ready to flower. Then I put them outside to flower. This grow I am at the beginning of now will be my first attempt at a perpetual harvest. In this way, I can take a bunch of clones from my mothers and veg them for a month or so. Then I can begin moving 2-3 little bushes outside each week. I will start by taking way more clones than I need each week. Eventually, I will be putting big bushes outside each week.

This is exactly my plan as well right now. I've finally perfected a DIY bubble cloner that I expect will produce clones with 100% success, ten at a time. When the roots grow out, those clones will go into individual cups filled with worm casting soil, as an intermediate step before the tiny bushes with well-established roots will go outside into the soil under Equitorial 12-12 sunlight hours. I've got eight mother plants thriving under lights set for an 18/4 light/dark schedule. and I plan to take clones off them pretty much year-round, thus generating a constant production line of small plants that will flower at a foot tall, and most importantly will not stand out in their guerilla grow location. Great minds think alike ha ha.

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
This is exactly my plan as well right now. I've finally perfected a DIY bubble cloner that I expect will produce clones with 100% success, ten at a time. When the roots grow out, those clones will go into individual cups filled with worm casting soil, as an intermediate step before the tiny bushes with well-established roots will go outside into the soil under Equitorial 12-12 sunlight hours. I've got eight mother plants thriving under lights set for an 18/4 light/dark schedule. and I plan to take clones off them pretty much year-round, thus generating a constant production line of small plants that will flower at a foot tall, and most importantly will not stand out in their guerilla grow location. Great minds think alike ha ha.

I did something close to it. I've been reading a little about and trying my first experience with no veg time.
Chopped off some clones and sticked it into the ground. After just a week I left it outdoors to start flowering. Just a single plant, to understand more on this process.
Screenshot_20210604-151106.png

That's the smallest clone of 10, 2 inches, 3 days under the sun. Some of them under lights are reaching 4 inches now.

swapmeet

Great minds think alike ha ha.

Indeed sir. I will try and get to the point at which I can put two huge bushes into the greenhouse each week. At the same time, I will have an indoor grow going to try and dial in my vertical quad racks. Those are more of just an experiment, but I am determined to prove the concept, and I have tons of space. So it will be fun.

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
Ok, so I have about twenty clones taken from an ACE Seeds pure Sativa Zamaldelica mother, and they are all currently under 24 hour light, with no darkness hours at all.

Forgot to mention I'm under, straight under Capricorn line, growing Skunks. It's autumn now, naturally 12/12.

BobChronic6505

I did something close to it. I've been reading a little about and trying my first experience with no veg time.
Chopped off some clones and sticked it into the ground. After just a week I left it outdoors to start flowering. Just a single plant, to understand more on this process.

That's the smallest clone of 10, 2 inches, 3 days under the sun. Some of them under lights are reaching 4 inches now.

What happened with these clones? I'm thinking about throwing clones under 12/12 as soon as they come out of the ez cloner

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Now that I think of it, someone on here was using 12hr + 1hr of a 100w bulb in the middle of the night to keep his plants from flowering (and save on Hydro).

I'll see if I can find the thread and post it here.

I think the kids called it gas lighting. It's light break.
You break up the night with light. So they don't get a continuous 12 hours dark.

Once out in uninterrupted 12/12 they will flower, and I don't believe there is anything you can do indoors to change that. That 12 hours darkness can't be ignored. Even 8 hours continuous darkness can set off some varieties. This is why indoors, Veg is 18 hours or more. We need no more than 6 hours consecutive darkness indoors, if we want to Veg. Any more and some will start the transition. Any other behavour is autoflowering. Where the plant decides to flower, without light manipulation.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I think the kids called it gas lighting. It's light break.
You break up the night with light. So they don't get a continuous 12 hours dark.

Once out in uninterrupted 12/12 they will flower, and I don't believe there is anything you can do indoors to change that. That 12 hours darkness can't be ignored. Even 8 hours continuous darkness can set off some varieties. This is why indoors, Veg is 18 hours or more. We need no more than 6 hours consecutive darkness indoors, if we want to Veg. Any more and some will start the transition. Any other behavour is autoflowering. Where the plant decides to flower, without light manipulation.

Ah... Yes. I remember now. This member was living in Costa Rica and had a lightbulb in his garden. Genius. lol

Latest posts

Latest posts