What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Having tough go with seedlings, learning techniques.

sogman

IMG_20200727_121559.jpg

This is the 3rd seedling I have tried.

It looks possibly burnt, I didn't properly pH adjust this attempt I just added some pH down, I know thats absolutely counterintuitive.

Anyhow, I have a rockwool that is sitting soaking in solution I tested with a liquid test to just below 6ph probably 5.7-5.8

I was planning on adding 3% h2o2 and getting a scarified seed prepped in a 24hr soak.

I assume this latest iteration of failures is going to die but curious if anybody can diagnose what is actually happening.

I have it under a mixed spectrum multidiode with UV and IR and mixed visible spectrum light, very high par, 50w led chip about 12" away.

I tds tested the water, showed slightly over 700 TDS, probably too much fert still for the seedling.

Could be a lot of things wrong.

Next time will only add seaweed supplement at 1:500 until the seedling has several good leaves and then straight to dwc.

Mr. J

Seriously bro, stick it in some dirt under a fluorescent or even on the window sill. All that shit you're doing or plan to do is just overkill. Let's just get the things to grow for a minute before we start worrying about UV and IR and peroxide and the whole deal.

sogman

I thought that was kind of an ignorant response and didn't address anything.

Thanks though

SamsonsRiddle

I may be wrong, but i think you're supposed to soak rockwool in 5.3 ph solution. i never use rockwool so i'm not sure. also, did you shake it out?

700 TDS is not a reading. it's either 700 ppm on the 5 scale or the 7 scale. it's much easier to find out the ec since it is not on a scale like ph. btw, 700 is way too high unless your water is over 500.

sogman

I may be wrong, but i think you're supposed to soak rockwool in 5.3 ph solution. i never use rockwool so i'm not sure. also, did you shake it out?

700 TDS is not a reading. it's either 700 ppm on the 5 scale or the 7 scale. it's much easier to find out the ec since it is not on a scale like ph. btw, 700 is way too high unless your water is over 500.

Super helpful!!
Thank you!!

Yeah I figured the ppm was waay too much.

This time I adjusted pH to 5.5, I think the result will be much better.

I also prepped a Peat pellet and another seed to compare results in the Seedling Growdome.

I have a 60mm fan in there and a thermostat-controlled heating pad.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Peat pellets can be acidic.

When using grow cube rock wool, I always soaked it and squeezed out moisture. You'll find a way. Good luck.

Dankwolf

View attachment 542943

This is the 3rd seedling I have tried.

It looks possibly burnt, I didn't properly pH adjust this attempt I just added some pH down, I know thats absolutely counterintuitive.

1# how much ? mixed with? and why ?
1 #response dont adjust find what works for your water /supply

Anyhow, I have a rockwool that is sitting soaking in solution I tested with a liquid test to just below 6ph probably 5.7-5.8

2#.soaking /sitting? Solution /tested ? Below 6 ? 5.7-58?
Why ?

2# response run what you have and follow a pre set schedule at 1/4 strenght of manufacture recommendation for vaules ( n,p,k)

I was planning on adding 3% h2o2 and getting a scarified seed prepped in a 24hr soak.

3# why ? On what grounds ?

3 # pre soak ( till they sink 24-36 hours), temp 70°, dark 100% , duration between cleaning / washing 48-72 hours

I assume this latest iteration of failures is going to die but curious if anybody can diagnose what is actually happening.

4 :comfort:

4 check icmag for a thread pertaining to seed germination

I have it under a mixed spectrum multidiode with UV and IR and mixed visible spectrum light, very high par, 50w led chip about 12" away.

5# high par ? How high ?
5 confused at this point ?

I tds tested the water, showed slightly over 700 TDS, probably too much fert still for the seedling.

6 700 tds why ? Fert after that 700 tds ?

6# water only for the first week or two

Could be a lot of things wrong.

7# yup

Next time will only add seaweed supplement at 1:500 until the seedling has several good leaves and then straight to dwc.

I am trying to help but this is not a easy one .i tried :comfort:

G

Hey buddie,

As a seed starts sprouting it does not need nutrients at all. It will probably shoot out two seed leafes first and then the first set of leafes with one finger and then the next set with more then one finger. From then on i would give some nutrients. I usually use only rhizotonic up to this stage. Whrn you see that the seed leafes are yellowed and dried, that means the growing plant sucked the nutes out of them to get started. It's like a baby getting fed by moms placenta till it's born basically. Set your ph right only and dont keep them too wet or dry around the 28 degrees and you should see resluts within a week.

Once you butchered your seedlings they will usually never become as good as they could have been. I would probably start over again.
If you use a heat mat make sure you lift everything of the ground not to dry the grow medium out. And also make sure it doesnt sit in a puddle of water which would drown them.

A really nice way of doing it,is using a heat mat..then take the bottom of a little greenhouse (propagation thingie)and fill water in it. Take another bottom part of a greenhouse and put it on top so that the water inbetween gets warmed and spreads nicely underneath the seedlings. This way you avoid drying out or drowing them and you wont hav3 hotspots from the heat mat.

I hope you could follow my thoughts.

If mot hit me up and i try to find some pics online.

Good luck

bushed

Thanks though

You saw ignorance I saw practical advice that in fact addressed everything. If you are struggling to start a seed you are going to have a really hard time in rock wool, its an extremely unforgiving medium.

Two irrefutable truth's its really easy to grow weed in soil and the worst thing you can do for a plant is to over love it.

Just an idea, grab some soil from a forest floor that's had chance to rot for a while, stick a seed in it under your light do nothing but water it occasionally, carry on with your experiments into rock wool. See which plant you have the most success with and which one you would rather smoke at the end.

I hope you don't take my post the wrong way, everyone here wants to see you success and grow great weed.

D

Deep State

Totally agree with Mr. J.... don't overthink it or over complicate things ESPECIALLY for your first grow.

Also, agree with bushed and Aridbud, stuff like rockwool is unforgiving and you have to make sure it's only moist, not soaking wet.

I would recommend a cheap bag of soil raising mixture and a warm window of heat mat for germination, and keep it away from intense light until it's got a few leaves.

To me (i could be wrong) the way your seedling is white it looks like light bleaching from too much light, for a sensitive little sprout.

Be a minimalist with seeds/seedlings and don't practice with expensive seeds.

Good luck. :ying:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Seriously bro, stick it in some dirt under a fluorescent or even on the window sill. All that shit you're doing or plan to do is just overkill. Let's just get the things to grow for a minute before we start worrying about UV and IR and peroxide and the whole deal.

Thanks though
Then read a book!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
You saw ignorance I saw practical advice that in fact addressed everything. If you are struggling to start a seed you are going to have a really hard time in rock wool, its an extremely unforgiving medium.

Two irrefutable truth's its really easy to grow weed in soil and the worst thing you can do for a plant is to over love it.

Just an idea, grab some soil from a forest floor that's had chance to rot for a while, stick a seed in it under your light do nothing but water it occasionally, carry on with your experiments into rock wool. See which plant you have the most success with and which one you would rather smoke at the end.

I hope you don't take my post the wrong way, everyone here wants to see you success and grow great weed.
^^what he said ^^

@OP
peat pellets are touch and go as others have pointed out. I quit using them some time ago, and went directly to a 4" pot, using what I use (HP Promix = very very forgiving) and never had one fail again.

Joint Lock

Pre soak the cubes in 5.0 water this will leave u with run off from cubes of 6.0

Like said all u need to do is spray the cube a few times a day with PH 6.0 water . Keep the cube damp not soaked like stated . The plant is small it really doesnt need alot at the stage your at

MrFancyPlants

You need CalMag.

Oh, wait, this isn’t r/microgrowery? /s

But in all seriousness, be careful with the heat mat. I’ve never used them, even in the winter, but I’ve heard that they are more likely to cook the seed than to actually help it germinate.

In your picture it looks like there is a humidity dome as well. While it may be helpful in maintaining a consistent environment for your seedling, it can also cause fungal issues due to lack of airflow and humidity that’s too high.