What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Australian and New Zealander Smoker's Lounge TEMPORARY thread.

H

hard rain

hard to beat those island grown plants sticky ,
just seems to be something about the look of that resin ...

heres a clip of that bee btw ,
see if you think its the same guy ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmdWkkIfm5Y
I love native bees but that particular one is from Indonesia. Of course you are closer to there than most of us, so who knows. Certainly looks similar. How big is it?

There are over 1500 native bees and probably a lot more that haven't been identified. We get a few around where I am in SEQ. My personal favourite is the blue banded bee.

Thanks for posting.:tiphat:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I love native bees but that particular one is from Indonesia. Of course you are closer to there than most of us, so who knows. Certainly looks similar. How big is it?

There are over 1500 native bees and probably a lot more that haven't been identified. We get a few around where I am in SEQ. My personal favourite is the blue banded bee.

Thanks for posting.:tiphat:
hey hard rain ,
i took that picture in Udon thani , Thailand a few weeks ago ,
was why i thought he might be the same guy as the indonesian one , but maybe no one had documented them in thailand ,

the biggest ive seen here seems to be the carpenter bee ,
thought he was a bumble bee , quite a large fella and fairly loud sound when he is in flight ,
pretty sure ive seen that blue guy around here too , seems to be quite a number of different bees ,
when our poinciana was in flower the year before last it had such an abundance of flowers , and u could hear the buzzing of all the pollen collectors from quite a distance , the tree was alive with the buzzing of them ...

T

Teddybrae

I saw that on the ABC tele. You will get rain and it will snow down to 600 meters. But I hear you're in drought also so I hope this gives you all relief.
rain n snow forecast for here tomorrow, bloody strange alright.Terrible bush fires out there.

T

Teddybrae

I 'm pretty sure I posted an image of the blue arsed fly in the Flora and Fauna thread here. We are also hydrating the little black bees at present. I have a pic here showing how we do it without the little buggers drowning themselves. We plant stuff to feed them too. (Can't upload it now ... there's too much traffic ... I 'm on later than usual ... satellite, y'know ...)

quote=hard rain;8709549]I love native bees but that particular one is from Indonesia. Of course you are closer to there than most of us, so who knows. Certainly looks similar. How big is it?

Thanks for posting.:tiphat:[/quote]

H

hard rain

hey hard rain ,
i took that picture in Udon thani , Thailand a few weeks ago ,
was why i thought he might be the same guy as the indonesian one , but maybe no one had documented them in thailand ,

the biggest ive seen here seems to be the carpenter bee ,
thought he was a bumble bee , quite a large fella and fairly loud sound when he is in flight ,
pretty sure ive seen that blue guy around here too , seems to be quite a number of different bees ,
when our poinciana was in flower the year before last it had such an abundance of flowers , and u could hear the buzzing of all the pollen collectors from quite a distance , the tree was alive with the buzzing of them ...
That makes sense. It kind of looks like it belongs in Thailand. Great pic btw. Bees are buggers to photograph.
I think the blue banded is fairly common.
Another one that is spectacular is the teddy bear bee (no relation to Teddybrae). Bit like your classic introduced bee but much bigger and hairier.

Teddybrae, are you hydrating your bees due to drought? Good on you if that's the case.

T

Teddybrae

Teddybrae, are you hydrating your bees due to drought? Good on you if that's the case.

Oh yes, Mate! The Eucalypts are losing their leaves. There's a Grey Ironbark in front of my house that has lost most of its leaves; Angophoras are dying by the dozen; Stringybarks too!
There are no European bees left in the forest. They usually live in Blue Gums but none have turned up at our bird baths for months now.
We have exotics planted for native Bees and Wasps. They feed off "Petrea volubilis" which is a sprawling vine; and "Antigonon leptopis" which is the old 'Coral Vine'.

picture.php

picture.php

If you want to take a look there's more Bee pictures in my Album: Nature at Our Place

Ooroo ...

Pumpkin

Veteran
Hi ozzieAI. My plants will stay in thier pots until harvest. I grow hydroponically, so I want my expensive nutes ro stay around the root zone.

I put some weedmat and lava rock down the bottom.

IMG_20191115_083728.jpg

Fill with coco.

IMG_20191115_084121.jpg

Some lava rock on the top as mulch. I like it because it doesn't rot, encourage mould or trunk rot.

IMG_20191115_084224.jpg

Then a couple of pressure compensating drippers per plant.

IMG_20191115_084940.jpg

Your ego should be well intact, your plants look amazing. The plant in the photos is one of my best, most are behind this. We each have our own goals and reasons for growing, so our setups just reflect that. What is your setup ozzieAI? You doing indoors in a tent? Any plans for outdoors this season?

I should be done with this transplanting tonight and will take a group shot then.

rod58

well here's my two bobs worth ! set up a small indoory unit , 400 mh for veg then 600 hps for bloom .
it's rough as guts but it works . you can see they're suffering from curl-its a bit as i've been away travelling a lot and several times i've been away for 7 days at a time , almost the death knock . thank god i haven't burnt the building down ! but ,... G13 x SM .. another two weeks and should be done , dunno whether i'm cut out for this indoor shit !
picture.php

Pumpkin

Veteran
Nice one rod58, looks like those ones outside will be big ones!

It's a bit shitty like that. Very hard to get away and not be in a panic :) I've lost a few going away and shit fucking up. When you are there nothing goes wrong, as soon as you leave the shit hits the fans! Still looks like you will get a result inside though, and nothing burnt down

rod58

thanks pumpkin , yeah those outside ones yield huge though it's been a really late start this year . like most of oz the rainfall has been a bit erratic to say the least . we are at 15-16 inches right now in a long term average of 26 inches .
they are very leafy , the ones in the ground , which is a sour bubble influence but comes with that is potency ..
my main focus though was creating a lot of clones which worked out terrifically and as a plus i get a heap of buds for christmas . happy camper ...haha

Latest posts

Latest posts