What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cultivating Zamaldelica and Jarilla de Sinaloa by the Danube

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Just a couple of fresh photos of the Zam clone that is a mother of this thread, grown by a friend this season guerrilla style. No watering...
Interesting. Looks a bit different from the clone compared to the developing seeding going through maturation stages. Perhaps it is the limited watering. I suspect it turns out very good. I think pampering a plant affects the character in a negative way. The best plants I ever grew were all the ones that had to tough it out somewhat.

It barely rains a drop all summer where I live, and it is hot and dry as heck. It's almost 100 degrees today. I water my plants once a week. They wilt in between waterings. My Zamaldelica looks like your friend's cutting, more than your gorgeous plant from last summer. Strange.

I can't wait for a report from your friend's grow, as well as yours.

Keep up the great work my friend,

ThaiBliss

yoss33

Veteran
Yes, a well-fed (water + sun + ferts) plant looks more "hybrid" fat than an under-fed plant. I notice that even on the same big plant, the north branches in the shade look more lanky "sativa" than the south sunny branches.
About the pampering of plants being negative on the quality of the final product, I think what's important is not to feed minerals (or organics that release minerals by simply being soaked in water), i.e. not to force-feed the plant. Also not to water too much. Drying out from time to time seems to be good, but does it need to starve regularly? I think a healthy strong plant can (and has the resources to) produce enough secondary metabolites, stimulated by outdoor environment (strong sun, cold nights, bugs, etc.), no need to "torture" it. However, in the sterile indoor environment it might need some artificial "hostility" applied to stimulate defenses.
I'll report in the end of the year if my friend's Zam is any different in effect. He's been growing in the same way for a few years now (he used to be an indoor grower before that), his plants always look starving for water on the photos, but the end result has never been too potent or impressing in other ways. I think my friend has some problems with drying, because his weed has never had a rich smell.

yoss33

Veteran
The Jarilla mother. I like its lanky structure with purple streaks on the stems. I also like the seemingly-strong bulgy way its branches are attached to the main stem.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
And the Jarilla (left) and Zam x Jarilla (right) seedlings it its feet:
picture.php

The two bigger Zam x ZamAce seedlings:
picture.php

And the few smaller Zam x ZamAce ones:
picture.php

Here's a group shot together with the remnants of the 2 big ZamAces:
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
I had to cut some of Jarilla's branches, because being on the south side of the Jarilla and Zam x Jarilla seedlings, it casts too much shadow on them.
The Jarilla mother, which is getting more and more purple in its vains:
picture.php

picture.php

The whole stem of this lower branch is now getting purple:
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
The Jarilla seedlings in the left half of the photo, the Zam x Jarilla - in the right half.
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
ZamAce #1:
picture.php

ZamAce #2 which is smelling stronger than the Kush and Purple Mexican combined:
picture.php

The most developed of the Zam x ZamAce seedlings, I'll call them Zam2Ace from now on... It has its father's radial leaves with many leaflets - 11 on this small plant:
picture.php

The next one:
picture.php

And the rest:
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
Still waiting for the indica hybrids to start flowering.

OG Kush:
picture.php

Purple Mexican:
picture.php

Next to each other (Mexican on the right side):
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
Jarilla seedlings:
picture.php

Zam x Jarilla seedlings:
picture.php

Zam2Ace (i.e. Zam x ZamAce) seedlings:
picture.php

Zam2Ace #1:
picture.php

Zam2Ace #2:
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
The indica hybrids have started to flower.

OG Kush:
picture.php

Purple Mexican, which is finally bringing more proper Mexican leaves:
picture.php

And first purple flowers... The resin smells like classic fruity indica.
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
I just came across an article of a local Oaxacan radio station - http://www.radiovozoaxaca.com.mx/mariguana-la-droga-mas-vendida-en-oaxaca/, which is an interview with a marihuana smoker, who says that the best weed you can buy in Oaxaca is called "colita de borrego", which is grown in the sierra in Miahuatlan (within Oaxaca), though there is even better weed coming from the neighbor state of Chiapas.
That's quite an interesting piece of info, that Cola de Borrego is still grown commercially in Oaxaca and is considered the best the state produces. Both in Oaxaca, and in Sinaloa, it has been grown high in the mountains, which raises a funny question about whether there's some connection between Cola de Borrego and the mythical "Highland Oaxacan Gold"?
Can't wait for my little highlanders to start flowering :)

yoss33

Veteran
The Jarilla is still preparing to flower. Lankier structure than the Jarilla I grew in 2016 (grow thread: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=325494), somewhat more Haze(Colombian)-looking. It doesn't have any penetrations from stem borers, unlike the indicas (OG Kush and Purple Mexican) and the Jarilla from 2016 (from my notes). Stem borers are a real danger for Cannabis here, there are lots of them, maybe dwelling on the wild hemp around. Zamaldelica (and its descendants) also seem not to be liked by stem borers.
The Jarilla plant radiates a nice sweet flowery perfume smell. Half of its branches were topped by birds (swallows) about a month ago, using the tops for nests, I guess, this is the first time I see this... and so half of the branches are a little bushier than the others, but not much.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And the 3 Jarilla seedlings, which have nice stem smells ranging from the father's very fruity/flowery smell to the mother's fruity but also slightly sharp not very pleasant indica-stem smell.
picture.php

And the Zam x Jarilla seedlings, which have very nice stem smells, a mix of the father's fruity/flowery and mother's citric tutti-frutti. I'm not sure if I'll be able to harvest anything from these seedlings, but only judging by stem smells, I find this cross very promissing.
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
The 2 ZamAces are just starting to flower, roughly about the same time their mother starts.
ZamAce #2:
picture.php

Together with the Zam2Ace seedlings in their "feet":
picture.php

Zam2Ace #1, which is showing female preflowers and has a similar smell as the Zam mother (not very noble stem smell at first, but then becoming very nice citric tutti-frutti)
picture.php

Zam2Ace #2 is showing male preflowers and will soon be removed, the biggest of the other seedlings (#3) is showing female preflowers. Here's #3 and the rest of the packed seedlings:
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
The indicas, enjoying the nice weather, which will continue to be nice, at least in the following 10 days:
picture.php

OG Kush, heading for tight buds:
picture.php

And the Purple Mexican, which is bringing more resin earlier, but has more open bud structure:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
According to the forecasts, tonight we'll have the first rain or showers since July. Everything is so dry that I doubt a shower will make any difference. But a serious drop in temperature is expected and light morning frosts are possible in the next 2 mornings. Then the weather will get warm again.

The Jarilla mother has started flowering:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The Jarilla seedlings, still not showing their sex:
picture.php

The Zam x Jarilla seedlings, the biggest of which (the one on the left side) is bringing out male flowers:
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
A group shot of the ZamAces and Zam2Aces in their feet:
picture.php

Both ZamAces have a similar pungent hashy and sweet veg smell. Still waiting for the smell of the buds. ZamAce #2:
picture.php

picture.php

Out of 7 Zam2Ace seedlings (2 of them are still very small, suffocated in the group), 6 have shown sex and only #2 is male. Here are the smaller ones:
picture.php

baduy

Holly shhhh! For a second I thought this big Pine tree in the background was one of your plants. You grow such beauties my eye were tricked

yoss33

Veteran
The first samples of OG Kush are superb. I hope the effect will not get calmer ad more stony with maturation. Perhaps the best indica I've ever smoked - very strong comfortable body high coupled with positive feelings and true motivation. It's more motivating than most sativas without being edgy. My plant is not the original clone, yet I see what the OG hype is about. Very penetrating (and sticking to nose and mind) smell of coffee and hash. Small round buds.
The OG Kush plant suffers the most from the russet mites we are having plenty of this year. The plants are infested with all kinds of bugs but I think the russet mites are the most damaging.
picture.php

picture.php