What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

burma north mountains landrace

cadizboy

anyone grow anytime myanmar north cannabis ???

i rencently get some fresh seeds

but cant find information about myanmar cannabis

only laws and wars.....( sad to read :cry:)

i want to know flavours , flowering time and this kind of things

sorry for my english :S

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Hola!

Burmese strains are very well known among other SE Asian ganja producers, specially those from the highland areas closer to the Thailand border, where you can find the mountains and some remote Hmong hilltribes cultivating ganja for personal use.

Good thing is that Cambodia, Lao and Myanmar still may retain some great heirloom SE Asian genetics as oppossed to Thailand, where good strains are definitely more elusive and may only be found in the most remote villages and mountains (Isaan region for example), far from the crowded and touristy areas.

Expect long tropical flowering time around 4-5 months, possible hermaphrodite traits and lack of firm males, lot's of branching and crazy stretch and growth. Some good doses of patience may be needed but I'm sure the final product deserves the extra effort. Show some pictures and reports in the future! ;)

cadizboy

Hola!

Burmese strains are very well known among other SE Asian ganja producers, specially those from the highland areas closer to the Thailand border, where you can find the mountains and some remote Hmong hilltribes cultivating ganja for personal use.

Good thing is that Cambodia, Lao and Myanmar still may retain some great heirloom SE Asian genetics as oppossed to Thailand, where good strains are definitely more elusive and may only be found in the most remote villages and mountains (Isaan region for example), far from the crowded and touristy areas.

Expect long tropical flowering time around 4-5 months, possible hermaphrodite traits and lack of firm males, lot's of branching and crazy stretch and growth. Some good doses of patience may be needed but I'm sure the final product deserves the extra effort. Show some pictures and reports in the future! ;)
thanks mate, nice description

i put 15 seeds on water, i will try to show pictures all weeks

saludos!

i want cross him with my female ciskei

Hmong

Veteran
thanks mate, nice description

i put 15 seeds on water, i will try to show pictures all weeks

saludos!

i want cross him with my female ciskei

you should expect ~18 weeks of flowering and a poor male rate.

cheerz

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Northern Burma is situated further north than Thailand, close to China, and is a part of the greater Himalayas so you can expect a less extreme expression than a typical Thai. Culturally and geographically Burma lies in between India and China, so a strain from that area is a bit of a wild card. Lots of Yunnanese people live in the area so it's not a long stretch to assume similarities with the Chinese gene pool the closer you get to the border.

A quote from Namkha: "the other quality Thai growing region being the Shan/Tai Yai areas of Northern Thailand and Burma - but these are different strains, even closer to the chinensis genepool I reckon, the ones offered as Highland Thai."

asia_southern_pol_2004.jpg

I would LOVE to see how they turn out, we don't know much about Burmese strains.

Don't kill any males until all are sexed. You probably will have to use a male with pistils if you plan to do a seed increase without outbreeding. I'd just use the male with a lesser degree of intersexed traits. Sounds strange I know, but is the reality of south East Asian Sativas. The number of intersexed individuals should decline with each generation of selective pressure applied. Myanmar? What a lame name. Burma, Burma, Burma. Even the Burmese still call it Burma. Wtf ?

Many years ago I grew the "Burmese & Fucking Incredible" from Vancouver Island Seeds.

I was in love with those plants(!) and found them quite potent in spite of people thinknig the strain had low potency! Unfortunately, I lost the genetics..

The reason why I was in LOVE with them was that they were extremely aromatic plants(!) with a strong mangoey smell that had an indescribable musky/skunky undertone and the smoke was THE SMOOTHEST smoke I ever had, no feeling whatsoever in the throat and a clear minty taste on the exhale. Smell and flavor-wise, it was just EXQUISITE.

Now, the B&FI was an Indica cross (Burmese sativa crossed with Fucking Incredible), but the plants all leaned phenotypically towards the Burmese sativa, confirmed by a guy who ran Reeferman's Burmese landrace and his plants looked identical to mine, except his were grapey in flavour.

The B&FI effect was about 40% body and 60% cerebral, but had no special character... I would describe it as tingly sensations in the body with "brain chills" that occasionally gave very brief raciness.

But, again: the smell + flavour + smoke quality I had never found again in any other bud. I was going to use the genetics for those reasons and try to improve the high characteristics.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I incorporated Burmese into my line. I remember pure Burmese, as received from VISC being mellow/euphoric at low doses. However, it put dudes dicks in the dirt when larger doses were consumed. It had top end power, and got quite trippy at those doses. It's limitless ceiling could have something to do with discrepancies in potency assessments.

I spoke about VISC Burmese on another Burmese thread and I got tarred and feathered for thinking any Burmese would have wide leaves and heavy stems. I think the quote was something to the effect, "I'm sure your hybrid has a nice high, but this thread is for Burmese."

VISC Burmese did not resemble any indica hybrid high that I have experienced. It also seemed to be stable like a line bred line.

I crossed my pollen chucked line into Burmese, then crossed those results with Trainwreck. Burmese traits still dominate more than I would think it should since they are now 25% at best. Here are some pictures:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Someone sent me a bunch of pure Burmese seed since they read about my love for that strain. I tried sprouting about 30, and none came up. I will try again under more controlled conditions. I'd love to have a pure one back. I do remember that fruity musky funk it had. Especially since it still dominates at ripening time in my line. The subsequent Trainwreck added a menthol aroma to the cured bud.

I credit Burmese and Trainwreck for saving a deteriorating line. It all went sideways when I crossed a awesome tasting honey oil tasting indica plant into the line. People loved it, but it ruined the cerebral high, in my opinion. Now, I'm proud of my line again.

I never grew the pure VISC line outdoors. But my crossed plants ripen in mid October at 42 north. At the extreme north of Myanmar, there are some very high mountains. If the strain you have is from high elevations, I would not be surprised if they ripen early and look like indica. They would need to ripen relatively early since it snows and frosts anywhere in the world over 7,000 feet.

I have blended a Congolese strain into my line also. It is relatively early also.

ThaiBliss

Oh man! Thank you(!!) for these beautiful pics! It almost makes me cry recognizing the shape of those leaves!

Like the tips of the two blades flanking the middle-blade of the leaf tend to curl a bit inward right??

And the seedlings have rounded "bubbly" looking leaves right??

Yes, forgot to mention how Indica-looking the Burmese are in spite of supposedly being sativas. They do stretch a bit thought, but nothing like the lanky types.

Sorry, can't like your post, I'm out of likes for the day lol, but again, thank you so much for this! So nice to see there are other people out there recognizing the value of the Burmese.

However, the buds did not look like the ones in your pics above, they looked more like what I've seen on Himalayan strains and hybrids: higher number of pistils that turned bright-orange and the resin stayed on the calyxes mostly, not much on the surrounding leaves and they just looked like a melted mass of goodness, as in couldn't tell the individual calyxes appart much.

xerb

VISC Burmese

VISC Burmese

Pure Burmese from VISC - One of my favorites - Tasty.
Potent. Strain still going strong after 20+ years...
Extremely aromatic, cedar, mentholated cherry cough drops!

Cheers!

ThaiBliss

Veteran
However, the buds did not look like the ones in your pics above, they looked more like what I've seen on Himalayan strains and hybrids: higher number of pistils that turned bright-orange and the resin stayed on the calyxes mostly, not much on the surrounding leaves and they just looked like a melted mass of goodness, as in couldn't tell the individual calyxes appart much.
My line has evolved quite a bit since the original Burmese from VISC. I've added Trainwreck, Bangi Haze (Congolese and Nepalese), and most recently Kali Mist. All these are somewhat related. They all have components that are from the same region. Nepal - Burmese - Thai - Cambodian. The Mekong river flows through most all. The plant I grew last summer looked like this now:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The menthol and piney aromas are still strongly there. The funky musk is now more like leather, and the fruity aromas are more sweet and sharp sour citrusy.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

I wanted to show how those leaves still curve inward, like many of those strains from that area. I forgot about another trait of Burmese that is still holding firm. The stalk of the Burmese plant is very stout, and gets really wide at the bottom near the soil line. The plant I grew last summer has quite a bulge right at the bottom also, despite the more narrow leaves:
picture.php

ThaiBliss

Digger102

Hi ThaiBliss!! Would you happen to have any information on the Burmese x Burmese IBL from Coastal seeds? Thinking about popping some for indoors but trying to get an idea of what I am in for. Thanks for your time and any info!!

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hi ThaiBliss!! Would you happen to have any information on the Burmese x Burmese IBL from Coastal seeds? Thinking about popping some for indoors but trying to get an idea of what I am in for. Thanks for your time and any info!!
I have no idea. If the seed stock is originally from Vancouver Island Seed Company (VISC), I'd definitely recommend grabbing some. Bangi Haze and Burmese made my outdoor genetics very successful. These two strains were pivotal.

elchischas

Veteran
This photos are from a good friend of mine
He is from Burma, its the "Karen tribe" weed
According to him,the most powerful herb on earth and certainly the best from Burma, its the old pure legendary burmese strain
IMG-20200920-112245.jpg

IMG-20200920-112217.jpg

ngakpa

Veteran
I don't doubt there's lovely ganja to be had from this "Karen" landrace

But I'm skeptical that Karen have any tradition of growing

Much more likely is that they got seeds from Thais

Karen have had suffered terribly from the Burmese army, so many have moved into Thailand and looked for ways to survive there and make connections

xerb

This should make your mouth water!

This should make your mouth water!

VISC Burmese is still alive and well in my home town!

Pure unadulterated, VISC Burmese, 2002

Marc Emery - You Rock!

It has the most exquisite flavor, once you try this in a vaporizer you will never forget it.

Have I ever tasted more flavorful pot?

Yes, but it is extremely rare, and I can count them on my fingers

Blueberry - a closely guarded cut - a cannabis cup winner
Chem Dawg/Diesel - another closely guarded cutting
Purple Thai - I had a cutting - so old, sick and weak, I finally lost it

I know there were others, they escape me right now.

It really breaks my heart I lost the purple Thai, it was, hands down the best tasting pot I have ever grown. After smoking it a while, I thought the potency was so-so, but my friends who did not smoke it everyday thought it was devastating . You could pick up a roach and light it, the flavor was still bright and fruity!

Xerb

xerb

seed making time

seed making time

VISC Burmese. I am starting another seed run

and will post pictures on here, try to document all the genetic abnormalities.

I have not seen another strain that produces doubled seeds.

By the way, here in NorCal they do great outdoors, usually coming in about mid-October.

Thank You again Marc Emery, you are a real hero! Xerb

----------------------------------------- and as an offering to the Goddess -----------------------------------------------
I will take a big bag of seeds to the top of the highest mountain and offer them to the four winds that they might spread far and wide.