What's new

Designing my first room on my own.

Small space. Spare bedroom. 10x12 space. 4 magnum Xxxl hoods 1000W. On 2 4x8 trays Coco/ drip, my first foray into using Co2. (Tanks)
Cold damp coastal climate. Even in summer. Trying to avoid using AC.
Trying to build as sealed as I can, any suggestions?

coldcanna

Veteran
If your running a sealed room all year there's no way around using an AC and/or dehumidifier.Running 4kw is going to generate serious heat and the humidity will be pretty high as well. You ideally want to keep your temps in the range of 75-82 and humidity will depend on what stage your in, you can get away with a higher level in veg and early flower but high humidity late in flower is asking for bud rot. You can try air cooling your hoods and sending that heat out of the room, that might allow you to keep the AC to a minimum but if not your going to have to start pumping fresh cool air into the room or if you stay sealed bite the bullet and run full time AC

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Run lower (600-800) ppm for the first cycle while breaking the room in.

Granger2

Veteran
Unless you're inside the Arctic Circle, I don't see how you can run 4k of light, sealed, and be able to control heat to within range. You WILL need AC and dehumidifier. Air cooling lights will help, but it won't change your needing AC, dehum. Good luck. -granger

Thank you everyone, I am air cooling my hoods with an powerful fan, a lot stronger than one normally used for 8 inch hoods, but this is all an experiment, I'm prepared to add AC if needed. I definitely have a dehu, that's a necessity in this coastal climate

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
So you already have all the equipment? If you have enough headroom maybe get fancy with running stacked 600s and have two double stacked coliseum assemblies. Less heat, less electricity, less hardware and hoods. Get digital ballasts and run them on 240 if you can. Test the vert waters, they are so warm. :yes:

X

Xephier

In my experience sealed hoods would be the way to go with hot air venting outside the room. I have a 600w HID and I couldn't even use that in my closet cuz I have a batwing reflector and it would raise the temps over 100F. That was just a 600w, 4kw would produce brutal heat. Granted I haven't owned a sealed hood but I've been told they dramatically reduce the heat output of the light.

X

Xephier

Personally I'd go with sealed hoods regardless though since if you're relying on an AC alone and the AC breaks down on you then you're fucked; your plants will all die within hours with that much heat production.