What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3rd time is the charm

PTP

I must first say I posted this thread in the wrong place and only by reading other grow journals did I realize I was in the wrong place. First, some background. I am using a large custom grow box with LED lighting, a 7 gal reservoir with a 1 gallon reserve. There is absolutely no light touching the water. I have custom water chiller with a thermostat to maintain 68 degrees. I also have a CO2 booster as well as two small fans.

That being said my first two grows both died. The first grow two white widows suffered every type of problem a newbie could possibly have. The second grow two more white widows actually did pretty good for a least a month then spider mites, burrowing beetle did a number on one but I was able to take care of the pest or so I thought. Spider mites came back but even then I was able to control them. I switched to 12/12 after 3 months and a week later they were both dead.

Now I as k for help.

PTP

For my next grow I'm using two Kushberry and one Bluecheese. I will soak them in a concentration of one cup distilled water and one teaspoon 3 percent peroxide for 24 hours. Then they will go into a rapid rooter plug an into a propagation kit. I'm going to put some more distilled water in the bottom of the kit and run a line from my air pump. Questions: can I use the LED lighting or does it have to be halogen; the vents on the lid are they open or closed; when do I go from the propagation kit to the reservoir and can I use the same concentration of distilled water and peroxide?

PTP

Once in the reservoir I plan on using the dyna grow pro foliage along with the proteke and mag pro. Not sure I'm even close to adding bennies or sea kelp. I plan on feeding 15 min four times a day. My light cycle will be 24/0. I'm going to change my reservoir weekly because my water chiller seems to build up salt in the tubing.

PTP

I plan on soaking the seeds Sunday and starting first thing Monday morning so I am asking for sound advice and or constructive criticism on things I should do different.

Granger2

Veteran
Do yourself a favor and grow in soil till you get a good crop or 2. Then reconsider DWC. Good luck. -granger

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
PTP - make sure you have completely cleaned down your area... those spiders are a real hassle to be completely rid of.. use a lot of bleach and get right in all the corners...if you still have mite spray, give your plants a good soaking once every couple of weeks til flowering (don't use mite sprays in flower unless specifically stated - and even then I wouldnt)

Last edited:

PTP

Thx guys. I thought about soil but it may delay the learning curve. As got the mites I did fog the entire house and I plan to clean again prior to Monday.

PTP

In my region we have a problem with spiders all kinds of spiders and my mom was kind enough to bring fleas into my house. So before this grow I fogged the entire house, attic and garage with the doors open on my grow box. After the prescribed time I entered the house closed the doors on my box and did not open the box for three days. I still have something flying around whin I turn on the lights. So small cannot tell but they look black on the yellow pest fly paper. They seem to be hanging out by the lights because I have my reservoir in the box and they are at the top. I bought some indoor/outdoor spray that list aphids as one of the insects it kills anybody got any other suggestions?

PTP

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

PTP

Well not exactly as intended cannot find the edit button but hey there they are. The first two are two weeks ahead of the others as I attempted to feed to early and thought I killed them so started another grow just in case. As of now the light schedule is 18/6. pH 5.5. Water temperature 68. PPM less than 10 as I am using distilled water. Weekly pics will be posted for guidance if the experts would be so kind

PTP

I guess I should have looked at the pics first the last two are the ones who suffered the nutrient burn.

PTP

Just checked my PPM and it's 1 with 2 hours after my reservoir change. Auto pH 5.33 now just wait until they are yellow in the center. I'm going to use Dyna Gro pro foliage, mag pro and kln. Only start with the kln. Wait until the the 2nd week of using the pro foliage then add the mag pro. Does that sound about right?

you can throw together a custom soil mix, for cheaper than what you'd buy in a bag at the hydro store, and it will be FAR better for your plants health, your health, and everyone else because you can skip gnarly chemicals mayne!!!!! Check out coots or tom hills mix. FILTER YOUR WATER

Granger2

Veteran
Why are you using a rooting hormone [KLN]? Could be the cause of your seedlings looking iffy. Switch to a root stimulator. -granger

PTP

I'm not sure what your saying about the filter your water. I am using distilled water so tell me more please. Also, I'm using hydro so how the soil come into play? I'm new at this so please be gentile if I'm asking stupid questions.

PTP

Well.... After almost killing them all they are finally coming out of shock and I'm seeing new growth. Taking forever but I'm a slow learner. I did see where there is a limit on pics so will wait till vegetative stage to post more pics.

Seedlings don't need ANY nutrients for the first ten days or so of growth. I promise. Your distilled water works just fine. You may consider investing in a reverse osmosis filter. I know how it is, wanting to get the MOST precision out of your grow, wanting to have the BEST plants possible... but with organic soil and without any chelating substances force-feeding your plants, the plant takes what it wants from the medium, when it wants it. It's more forgiving, easier, and when done right, just plain better in many respects (health-wise, natural pest resistance, working smarter and not harder...

Good luck tho, I remember the days of buying nute bottles and being super anal about everything haha... It doesnt have to be so much work and such a science fair in there. Trust me- you can still have the kills and not have to bust your butt and brain measuring this or that, timing your fertilizations and whatever else you may have been conned into believing. I'll tell you that the best thing i (and many, MANY others will agree) ever did, with respect to growing, was to get out of the synthetic mindset. Let nature do it's thing and work with it, not against it. I won't lie tho, theres a lot more to learn and its very deep subject compared to growing with artificial nutes. All the best with your quest. :comfort: