What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Alaska outdoor auto experiment

spudwhank

ICMag Donor
In Alaska we have the problem of no darkness for the few months of summer like weather we have. Photo-period plants just wouldn't do up here outdoors, because the only time it gets dark it's butt freezing cold.
I found a few threads of people trying to grow outdoors in Alaska, but none of anybody doing it successfully. Well this is just another experiment, these are auto flowering plants from Herbies and marijuana-seeds.nl. If they don't die within the next 2 weeks I will look up the strains. I just don't remember right now. I grew these inside for a couple weeks and just moved them outside today.
I work out of town a LOT so if these plants make it it will be because they are hearty strains that can take a lot of abuse.

Attachments

• 5-10-15 outside.jpg
    5-10-15 outside.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 19
B

Baked Alaskan

Had a friend who grew 3 nl5 x ruderalis, in his outdoor garden almost 20yrs ago. We had morning snow, then thaw, three days in a row. The 3 plants were fine and he grew them to harvest.

You may not have access to a greenhouse, but shading plants works great in AK. Ive had great success shading in my greenhouse.

vostok

Veteran
I see no problem but you do ...if so then re locate, your bane is the climate..., adjust or adapt, either way its the temps, your experiment will crash on, even a light bulb buried in the soil 12" from the rootzone will keep it from freezing

spudwhank

ICMag Donor
So far so good. I am out of town right now but I have a web-cam watching the outdoor plants from my kitchen window and from what I can see they are happy and healthy. I'll take another picture when I'm home next week.

spudwhank

ICMag Donor
I will post the latest pictures from today as soon as I figure out how to post pictures. The outdoor plants have grown about as much as their indoor sisters but have not begun to flower like the inside ones have. I rigged up a cheapo auto-watering system because I'm going to be gone two weeks this time.

spudwhank

ICMag Donor
Users

I can't tell if the picture will show up, but the outdoor Anchorage plants are doing better than the indoor ones. I burnt the indoor plants. I guess that's what happens when you're gone 2 weeks at a time. The outdoor autos are small and beginning to bud some. That's pretty good considering it's getting down to the 40s at night and it's rained every day for the last couple weeks. I didn't expect big plants because I'm using 1 gal pots. It would be nice to have a few weeks of sun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dirk907

Nice. I was wondering when we'd see some outdoor autoflower action up here. Looking forward to your update.

I gave it a whirl too this season. Planning on writing it up once I have dried weight, gonna chop 'em down tonight.

HydeRowe

I recommend you upgrade to much larger pots or put them right into the grow. They might not make it 2 or 3 days without water in those pots.​