What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NoSocSlic's Thread for Growing and Learning

N

NoSocSlic

Day 23 Flower

Day 23 Flower

The thrip spray seems to have done its job, but its too early to say for sure. I seems like less leaves look munched on. I do have some pistils dying off a little early on me, but with bugs and spraying the buds, I expected that, and she is spitting out plenty of new white ones.

Resin production is low so far. There is some, its mostly focused in the centers of the bud. Seems pretty slow flowering to me, but I don't think its going to be 12+ weeks. I am guessing more like 10 now. Either way I'm not on an exact schedule. She's ready when she's ready. I'm looking forward to week 4.

Last edited:
N

NoSocSlic

Day 30 Flower

Day 30 Flower

This has been a smooth easy week. The buds are starting to take off a little. Resin is increasing and they have definitely swelled a lot over the last week. There was much less stretching than I expected. It might go a little bit more, but vertical growth has been minimal.

I am excited, but I think the buds are pretty small. I have thought about taking off the little tiny buds on the undergrowth. I doubt they will amount to much so I'd kinda rather pluck if it will help everything else.

I haven't seen any leaf damage at all this week. I have thought about hitting the leaves one more time with spinosad just in case but if I don't need to, I'd rather not spray anything. There's been no sign of thrips since about 4 days after I sprayed. I had been picking off affected leaves each day or two, and now the rest of the leaves are healthy.

I guess I will not be pollenating this plant. The 3 plants my buddy grew out all ended up female. That is as good of luck as you could ever hope for him, but it means that I won't get my cross. It sucks because his ladies are very very frosty. I would have liked to pollenate a few buds, but that will have to wait until another grow because its too late to do anything about it.

Last edited:
N

NoSocSlic

Day 37 Flower

Day 37 Flower

5 weeks are up! The next month is my favorite part of the growing process! Well, besides the smoking part. I Lollipopped the plant. The lower buds were basically nothing so I wasn't sad to part with it. I went ahead and dried it out and smoked it. I thought maybe I could get an idea of what to expect. It had an undertone of grape pixie stick, and even at five weeks got me pretty high with a nice head buzz. It was short lived but good.

Maybe she isn't going to run as long as I thought. The trichomes are starting to stack up. They are slow going, just kind of beading and not even growing on stalks yet. That's all I am watching for chop time. I think by this time next week I will have a better idea of how long she will go.

I did treat with spinosad again just to be thorough. After removing the lower foliage and trim, I noticed a leaf here and there that was munched on. I couldn't tell if it was new or old so I sprayed again. The first treatment really knocked the problem out though. Monterey's Garden Insect Spray is a great product. It lived up to its reputation regarding thrips.

sound and fury

Hey, just wanted to say awesome thread and I'm tuned in for your updates. I'm a brand new grower so I really appreciate the effort through the whole growth cycle. Also, great job being patient with a single plant, we all get a little smarter by you sticking it out and keeping us posted! Your plant looks awesome, it's great to see all the time you've put in pan out. Sounds like a promising early smoke report too!

Personally I just started my first grow from seed and I'm really grateful for the shots of when you topped her and tied her down because that's what I'm approaching with my seedlings right now. I germed them in soil, they're currently 11 days from peeking out so I'm learning a ton about patience. I hope I can learn it fast enough to take care of my ladies properly, like I said your thread has been an expert show of it so thanks again for that!

N

NoSocSlic

I'm really glad you like it. I have a little bit of a backward approach towards growing sometimes lol. I mean with running only one plant. To me, this is the best way for someone to get started. Grow in soil, indoors under cfls, with bagseed. It costs next to nothing so any failed attempts aren't too bad, just the time and dirt you put into it. I just keep popping beans lol. I started doing this for fun, and for free, or next to free smoke. If I haven't gained anything else from it I've gained a ton of patience, but I have learned so much too. I can't believe that today this plant is 101 days old. It was a pain to get her to start flowering, but now that she is this far, I really think it is going to be something special by the time it's over.

N

NoSocSlic

Day 44 Flower

Day 44 Flower

Beginning of Week 7

This week has been pretty smooth. I began molasses today. I started at a weak strength, 1 tsp in a half gallon. I bumped the water up a little today. I am going to alternate with 1 heavy water with molasses (64oz.) and 1 normal watering (40oz.) of plain water this week.

I would say, this run the buds aren't going to be as big as my last plant. I think by the time its over they will be about 3/4 of the size they were last time. I am not too worried because there are several more buds and they are going to be way better. I don't know, It mostly depends on how much they swell up. She is still putting out new white hairs so they are still growing.

No sign of thrips anymore. I wonder how much damage they did to the plant. I removed any leaves they were feeding on throughout. I wish I would have gotten to them a little sooner. I removed the most foliage during weeks 3, 4, and 5, and I think it stunted the stretch and hurt my yield. It may also be genetically predisposed to having smaller buds, but I'm sure that if thrips weren't there, the plant would have done better. It is behind me now, and I know better next time. I am still very excited.

I took a good look at the trichomes today with a handheld microscope at 60x magnification. There is a range of about 40% to 70% milky trichomes with the rest clear. Most areas are around 50/50. I think that she will be done this time 3 weeks from now, but I can't say for sure. The flowering on this run has been crazy. I flipped the lights almost 10 weeks ago, but I started counting from when I saw the first pistils, so day 44 it is. I am checking trichomes every water now so we will see. I am in it for as long as it takes.

Last edited:
N

NoSocSlic

Day 52

Day 52

Week 8 of flower is finally here. Nothing really new to report. Smell has picked up a lot in the last week, its been the first time I have really smelled much from her, Trichomes are mostly cloudy, with somewhere around 10-20% clear. A few trichomes here and there are starting to yellow. She is getting very close. I am not seeing the fading of leaves like I had hoped for at this point. I am going to let her go just a little while longer, but I am getting very excited! This journey is nearing its end.

I left one small bud when I lollipopped the plant with the intention of that becoming my tester bud. I clipped that to get a sample, so I can see where I am at. Its hanging now. I may quick dry a bowl's worth of it.

Last edited:
N

NoSocSlic

I hate to admit it but honestly, and I have been obsessively scoping trichs, it seems more like 30% clear 70% milky. I think I may have been right on the 10 week flowering time a couple months ago. I am doing my best not to rush. It is getting difficult! She looks so good.

I smoked my sampler last night. I could definitely tell she had a ways to go still. another week is a minimum. The head high is still clearly there a few seconds after hitting it, but I can tell it is premature because it doesn't last long enough. The taste is amazing (and keep in mind this is quick dried and premature). It is very very sweet, and fills up your whole mouth and sinuses. Its hard to pinpoint the taste. Maybe cotton candy but earthier than that. I would like to say cotton candy dipped in maple syrup as weird as that sounds. Once this stuff has been cured it is going to be something special.

N

NoSocSlic

Trichs Day 55

Trichs Day 55

Just snapped some pictures trying to get a good one of the trichomes. I still have a beginner's eye for this. I say not ready yet, but I'm not sure how much longer. I think maybe 5-10 days, but again I don't trust my opinion quite yet. Anyone else have some input?

N

NoSocSlic

I have a question for you guys. I am leaving for work Sunday night and won't be back until Tuesday night sometime, which may or may not be before my lights cut off for the night. If I leave the plant unattended with the door shut, it is going to get up to 88-91 degree temperatures in my closet. Its potentially 3 days of it but maybe as little as 2 and some change.

I see my options as being these three things:

-Cut the lights out for all of tonight and tomorrow into Sunday morning and chopping at day 59 and hanging to dry in the shut closet until Tuesday. It is close enough that I don't think I would be too disappointed but I think it will be ready ready in about 5-7 days.

-So the second option is to cut the lights out Sunday, and leave them off until I get back Tuesday. Then chopping when I get back.

-Or I could water Sunday before I leave and hope that the plant will be fine through until Tuesday in the heat and RH probably around 50%.It has handled any hot periods it has had to endure so far, and it would probably be fine.

N

NoSocSlic

Ok I am leaving her going. I will be back Wednesday at the latest. I hope she does alright without me! Pictures will go up when I get back.

BudBongJovi

Hey NSS, any updates on the plants? Just read through the thread and it looks like you're a few steps ahead of me! Im just coming to week 7 of veg and was considering training the stems. Any suggestions on the easiest way to do this? What I should specifically be focusing on? And do I have enough time before going into flowering?

Post some updated photos! Would love to see how she's looking :D

Cheers,

BBJ

N

NoSocSlic

Hey NSS, any updates on the plants? Just read through the thread and it looks like you're a few steps ahead of me! Im just coming to week 7 of veg and was considering training the stems. Any suggestions on the easiest way to do this? What I should specifically be focusing on? And do I have enough time before going into flowering?

Post some updated photos! Would love to see how she's looking :D

Cheers,

BBJ

It depends on the plant and your needs mostly. I have about 27 in. from the floor to the lights, and I need room for the pot so I train the plant to be wide and short. I start when it's really young though. At 7 weeks you can do LST and or soft pinching pretty safely. You want to train to either get light to more bud sites, or more light to the bud sites you have if that makes sense. Any training you do is going to lengthen your veg time, because it has to recover. Also keep in mind your plant size will double at least when you flip the lights and it starts stretching.

As for my plant, hopefully all is well. I'm out of town until tomorrow night. I'll have new pictures tomorrow or Wednesday. She is very close to finishing, so I'm a bit on edge about not being home.

N

NoSocSlic

Day 61 Flower

Day 61 Flower

Well as you can see my plant is perfectly fine. I was worried but I guess I didn't need to be. The buds have noticeably swelled and they are getting very frosty. Not much to report still. She is finishing up but is apparently not in a rush. There are still more clear trichomes than I'd like to see, and not really a significant amount of ambering. Theres a few here and there, but I think she could use some more time. There is some leaves yellowing now which is good. I am definitely going to roll right into week 10 though. :dance013:

Last edited:
N

NoSocSlic

9 weeks of flowering are officially completed today! I feel like that in itself is a accomplishment for a rookie grower! I am over being impatient, and watching closely for her to tell me she is finished. I started flushing last week and just got done with another flush. I am letting the pot get much drier between waters now. I am watering every five days now. She is still spitting out new hairs, but not a ton. The trichomes are still stacking up. I wonder how much longer I will have to wait.

BudBongJovi

A whole lotta tension in that last post. I love it! You should write horror novels..

Nonetheless, looks awesome and I will definitely be following this thread closely with my first indoor grow. Looks like a lot of fun :D

Thanks and Cheers,

BBJ

N

NoSocSlic

Quick update on my timeline.

Quick update on my timeline.

A whole lotta tension in that last post. I love it! You should write horror novels..

Nonetheless, looks awesome and I will definitely be following this thread closely with my first indoor grow. Looks like a lot of fun :D

Thanks and Cheers,

BBJ

Hey BBJ! It really has been fun. I have gotten frustrated and impatient more than once, but all in all it has been fun. Jeez looking back I just realized how long this plant has been going. From when I germinated the seed until now it has been 127 days! I will keep up with your grow as well BBJ.

On a side note, I am right where I want to be as far as trichomes go. I am beginning to see more amber trichs. A few more days and this grow will be done. I plucked all fan leaves today and a few three bladed leaves as well in preperation. Anything with a stem basically. I am preparing her for the big day. I am planning on cutting the lights out Sunday night and chopping sometime between Monday and Tuesday night. I am so excited.

In the past two weeks the smell has increased a lot. It has developed into a very floral, sweet, nectar-like aroma. I am super stoked, and proud of this plant. It is going to hurt me a little to chop her down. I won't be posting pictures until then.

As far as drying and trimming goes, I have removed basically all I am going to remove until the buds are dry. I may trim a few of the longer bud leaves, but I want to do a dry trim this run. After dried and trimmed, it will be on to jars, using the "perfect cure every time method." Stay tuned everyone who's been following, this one is almost wrapped up.