What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need DWC advice and tips

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
The blue stones are crappy. The grey ones are much better. Soak them in vinegar for awhile. Then boil while pumping air through them.

WelderDan

Veteran
but dont you think the loss of stones is affecting your oxygen levels because the air isnt getting broken up into tiny bubbles?

Side by side tests do not lie. I am on my phone, so I will elaborate my point when I get on my computer. Bottom line, you do not need them

B

bionicchronic

any feedback on last pics? is it ok for a root to look like tht???

Loc Dog

Veteran
any feedback on last pics? is it ok for a root to look like tht???

The pics of roots looked a lot healthier. Nice and white, and bulkier.

I did not want to comment on previous pictures, which looked sick and wimpy.

B

bionicchronic

The pics of roots looked a lot healthier. Nice and white, and bulkier.

I did not want to comment on previous pictures, which looked sick and wimpy.

this is my first dwc and i felt the same way. they looked sick af. they are in flower now but the tub wont get switched with new nutes till next week.
so do you think i will be okay even though one root got rot.

Loc Dog

Veteran
this is my first dwc and i felt the same way. they looked sick af. they are in flower now but the tub wont get switched with new nutes till next week.
so do you think i will be okay even though one root got rot.

I did hydro flood and drain about 5 years ago and had problems till I fed heisenberg tea. I am on my first RDWC, 25 days into flower. I had a little root rot on most plants, but it cleared up. I ran with some bleach (2 drops per gallon) waited a few days for it to dissipate, and have been using SM-90, Great White, Cannazym, and Aquashield. Also ran some Chitosan. Had insane root growth in 5 gallon buckets, but can not really check them now since in SCRog setup. I have also been giving Floralicious Plus, which is like ink, and will color roots.

With the pure white roots you have, and gaining mass, I do not believe you will have problem. But not experienced enough to guarantee. I have also been keeping solution at 68F. I will probably start feeding heisenberg tea soon. I am looking at April 1st harvest.

That picture was around the first week of flower.

WelderDan

Veteran
but dont you think the loss of stones is affecting your oxygen levels because the air isnt getting broken up into tiny bubbles?

OK, as promised, I will explain why you don't need air stones.

First, the waterfall effect will give you the highest dissolved O2 concentration possible, but that's not my point. That's just a simple fact.

As for the air stones, it's about volume and surface area. You can put all the pumps and stones you like, but there is a maximum amount of dissolved O2 you can achieve via this method. That is fact.

Big bubbles, little bubbles, it doesn't matter. It's about surface area. Bigger bubbles, or smaller via air stone. Lotsa little bubbles have no more surface area that fewer big bubbles at the same volume. Since there is a max amount of dissolved O2 achievable via bubbles, size doesn't matter. As long as you have sufficient volume, air stones are just a waste.

I tried side by side using the same strain and there was not a measurable difference. The open line performed just as well.

Bigger bubbles move the water, causing more contact with both the bubbles and the atmosphere. And as I said, there is a max amount of dissolved O2 you can achieve with bubbles, and you can achieve that max with no stones.

The only way to get a higher dissolved O2 content is the waterfall effect. And the waterfall effect uses no air pump, it just increases the amount of surface contact with the atmosphere...

Loc Dog

Veteran

First, the waterfall effect will give you the highest dissolved O2 concentration possible, but that's not my point. That's just a simple fact.

As for the air stones, it's about volume and surface area. You can put all the pumps and stones you like, but there is a maximum amount of dissolved O2 you can achieve via this method. That is fact.

Big bubbles, little bubbles, it doesn't matter. It's about surface area. Bigger bubbles, or smaller via air stone. Lotsa little bubbles have no more surface area that fewer big bubbles at the same volume. Since there is a max amount of dissolved O2 achievable via bubbles, size doesn't matter. As long as you have sufficient volume, air stones are just a waste.

I tried side by side using the same strain and there was not a measurable difference. The open line performed just as well.

Bigger bubbles move the water, causing more contact with both the bubbles and the atmosphere. And as I said, there is a max amount of dissolved O2 you can achieve with bubbles, and you can achieve that max with no stones.

The only way to get a higher dissolved O2 content is the waterfall effect. And the waterfall effect uses no air pump, it just increases the amount of surface contact with the atmosphere...

That makes me very happy!! I shoot water from the pump, into reservoir, from about 3 inches. Also have air stone, and I think 80 gallons an hour through each.

idrobud

For me the bubbles in the containers increased the nutrient uptake.
The bubbles move the roots.
A moving roots scours greater nutrient solution area.
Increase the nutrient uptake for increase your yields.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
When you don't want to pay for additional airpumps, stones will increase the effectiveness of each pump. As I stated before, there are multiple studies by universities and other organizations detailing how much more effective stones are over open lines.

Not on a budget? Open lines are peachy.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
When you don't want to pay for additional airpumps, stones will increase the effectiveness of each pump. As I stated before, there are multiple studies by universities and other organizations detailing how much more effective stones are over open lines.

Not on a budget? Open lines are peachy.
Links please?

Bobby Boucher

The guy I learned from always nailed it outa the park using 2 tiny blue guys and 1 tiny air pump per 5 gallon bucket. The best shit I've ever seen was grown using 4 big blue guys and 2 tiny air pumps per 5 gallon bucket. I've grown in bio buckets where bubbles were all but invisible outside the control res successfully. I've blasted 110lpm into a single bucket with indistinguishable results. Many people report that pricey airstones are the end all be all, other report even the cheap-o's as an unnecessary expenditure in their gardens. I say it's high time for anyone advocating one way or the other to buy a DO meter and report their findings.

FWIW, IME, it seems that MJ does just fine with low levels of DO, even in warmer water, providing light and organic material are kept out of the bucket.

Also, not advocating airstones, just saying, mathematically, if you split a bubble in half you end up with more surface area.

Ogtg2213

I have a DO meter and have done lots of tests. A small waterfall effect in a large res will maintain optimal DO levels, air stones are totally unnecessary if all your looking for is DO levels. Your water can only hold so much oxygen at certain temps. You can add 100 air stones to a res that has a small waterfall and you won't get the DO levels any higher because of the water temp. Obviously certain scenarios air stones are Bennifical but I quit using them way back in the krusty bucket era.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Links please?

I've been researching cannabis cultivation for 15 years, I don't post about things I don't know much about. Your turn... LINKS

edit: Wow, my diplomacy is pretty dang bad the last few days. My apologies. I don't catalog links, I simply read the studies and move on. Hope your research goes well. :)

Last edited:
B

bionicchronic

alot if the grows ive seen with a waterfall have temp problems because the water pump adds heat to the water, therefore i cant use this method until im using a chiller.

on a side note how long do plants need 12/12 until they are officially out of veg? (this is my fist indoor photo grow aswell as dwc, did abunch of autos inside and grew photos out last year.)

Bobby Boucher

Sticking to the point, telling someone who is on their first indoor grow to recirculate their water isn't a very sound piece of advice, imo. OP asked for dwc tips, not door-to-door rdwc evangelism. Not to sound like a dick, but life is surprisingly short, and I have already wasted a good portion of mine with rdwc, and I'm a pretty f'n methodical dude.

on a side note how long do plants need 12/12 until they are officially out of veg

What exactly do you mean by "out of veg"? The 8-12 week count begins the day you flip your lights.

B

bionicchronic

Sticking to the point, telling someone who is on their first indoor grow to recirculate their water isn't a very sound piece of advice, imo. OP asked for dwc tips, not door-to-door rdwc evangelism. Not to sound like a dick, but life is surprisingly short, and I have already wasted a good portion of mine with rdwc, and I'm a pretty f'n methodical dude.

What exactly do you mean by "out of veg"? The 8-12 week count begins the day you flip your lights.
second grow indoors. and thank you i dont need rdwc tips lol. just dwc tips and expert eyes on my roots. not trying to loose 3/5 of my harvest cause my dwc tote gets rotted because i didnt know i was fucking up. and i meant how long until growth tips become covered in hairs.
and not new leaf points.

thanks everyone for your time:biggrin:

WelderDan

Veteran
7 dry ounces, not counting popcorn and trim. Bucket, cheap wally world air pumps, open line, PBP nutes. No additives. No medium either, just a chunk of pool noodle. Plant vegged under shop lights until nodes started to alternate, about 18 inches then put under 1000 watt HPS

8 dry ounces, not counting popcorn and trim. Same setup/nutes

I don't even use a PPM or EC meter. The plant tells me what it needs.

I do use twin outlet air pumps, but I have each outlet going to a different bucket, two outlets per bucket so if one pump takes a shit (and it happens), I still have another pump and plenty of air.

Nutrient uptake isn't an issue because I let the rez get pretty low before topping it off, giving me a nice PH swing. I also don't fill the bucket all the way. The roots get plenty of exposure to the air this way. The same way they do in coco. That's why air stones are pointless.