What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco! Blumats! Seedlings! My first grow journal!

Hey,

time for me to start my very first grow journal. I really hope this doesn't go to shit.

Soooooooo... this is the deal: this is my fourth grow overall, so all help is welcome. I've grown only in coco so far, with HESI nutrients, so I'm going to stick with it. What's going to be new is that I just placed an order on some blumats which have been producing tremendous results for everyone else so I thought it was high time for me to jump on the bandwagon. They should arrive any day now.

The strains for this grow are the following:

Cannaventure Cookie Wreck x ECSD (x11)
Cannaventure Triangle Kush x ECSD bx2 (x10)

and some failsafe femmed freebies:

CC Black Kush
HSO Chocolate Mint OG
Dinafem Purple Afghan Kush

Overall I popped 24 seeds straight into pure coco, and some four days later all but one had popped up and started growing leaves :) I also seem to have a trifoliate one?

Pics: seeds as i put them in the coir, a groupshot from a few days ago and the trifoliate baby. I'll try to put up better pictures from now on :laughing:

Attachments

• IMG_1071.jpg
    IMG_1071.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1087.jpg
    IMG_1087.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1090.jpg
    IMG_1090.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 19
Looks like a good start. What's their new home look like?

After the transplant i'll veg the lot of them out first in 1gal pots, take some cuts as soon as possible, sex the cuts, and put all the gals (or the best 12) to 2 gallon pots with the blumats. I have my 4x4 tent with 600w hps & 600w mh for flowering. At the moment they're still in those cups in a spare closet with a hundred something watts of t5's. :biggrin: I've heard rave reviews of this Cookie wreck x ECSD, can't wait to have tasters...

Ez Rider

Veteran
After the transplant i'll veg the lot of them out first in 1gal pots, take some cuts as soon as possible, sex the cuts, and put all the gals (or the best 12) to 2 gallon pots with the blumats. I have my 4x4 tent with 600w hps & 600w mh for flowering. At the moment they're still in those cups in a spare closet with a hundred something watts of t5's. :biggrin: I've heard rave reviews of this Cookie wreck x ECSD, can't wait to have tasters...

I'd recommend 4l airpots for the entire grow. I started out with 3gal pots and blumats, went to 2gal, and finally settled on the 4l pots. The results are just as good as the bigger pots AND you use far less medium. I use ReadyGro Aeration by Botanicare...its 55/45 coco perlite...it rocks in the airpots.

Good luck to you. Blumats are one of the coolest things out there IMO.

I'd recommend 4l airpots for the entire grow. I started out with 3gal pots and blumats, went to 2gal, and finally settled on the 4l pots. The results are just as good as the bigger pots AND you use far less medium. I use ReadyGro Aeration by Botanicare...its 55/45 coco perlite...it rocks in the airpots.

Good luck to you. Blumats are one of the coolest things out there IMO.

1 gallon/4L is the way to go for sure

Sadly I have 2L-ish and 6L regular pots ordered already so I'll have to make do with them this time around. Do airpots make a significant difference in the result in your opinion? I've been reading mixed reviews of them... might change to them or smart pots for the next grow if they are all that, what put me off this time was the price (4,5€ for an airpor vs 1€ for a regular one).

How do you keep pH in your res long term? Or do you mix fresh daily?

Also do ya get salt build up on that shhhhht?

Hesi nutes maintain their pH really well, I had to add ph down for once or twice last go around in autopots. I've had no problems with salt buildup, I ordered some drip clean (actually the atami rip off, couldn't get the original) to help prevent it.

Ez Rider

Veteran
The main thing with the airpots is that you can grow a much larger plant in a very small pot, especially with coco & blumats. This translates to reduced medium use/costs, easier disposal, and reduced humidity in the grow area. It also makes the plants themselves easier to handle. Airpots aren't cheap ~$125/25 for 1.2gal, but they last forever. They also knock down flat for easy storage. IMO, airpots are the ONLY way to go with coco and blumats.

The main thing with the airpots is that you can grow a much larger plant in a very small pot, especially with coco & blumats. This translates to reduced medium use/costs, easier disposal, and reduced humidity in the grow area. It also makes the plants themselves easier to handle. Airpots aren't cheap ~$125/25 for 1.2gal, but they last forever. They also knock down flat for easy storage. IMO, airpots are the ONLY way to go with coco and blumats.

That makes sense. I thought about buying them but the extra 40-50 bucks what it would've cost me made a difference this time around. I will have to get them for the next round. While we're at it, why do you prefer coco & perlite over 100% coco?

Ez Rider

Veteran
That makes sense. I thought about buying them but the extra 40-50 bucks what it would've cost me made a difference this time around. I will have to get them for the next round. While we're at it, why do you prefer coco & perlite over 100% coco?

IMO straight coco stays too wet with blumats. With the 55/45 mix with airpots, the drippers are on a constant slow drip pretty much 24/7. In straight coco, they'd sometimes stop dripping for over an hour or more. This can lead to sediment build up in both the main and feed lines, especially if your going gravity vs pressure, and depending on the "thickness" of your feed water.

In 2 liter hempy's i get 4.5 foot trees if vegged to long. Daily watering till about 4 weeks into flower and then they need 2 waterings per day till finish. Amazing the power of coco.

Peace, Roast.

IMO straight coco stays too wet with blumats. With the 55/45 mix with airpots, the drippers are on a constant slow drip pretty much 24/7. In straight coco, they'd sometimes stop dripping for over an hour or more. This can lead to sediment build up in both the main and feed lines, especially if your going gravity vs pressure, and depending on the "thickness" of your feed water.

Ok ok. I have an very airy brand of coco coming in, so I suspect that it shouldn't pose as much problems as brick coco would, we'll see about that in some weeks! Thanks for your contribution & support :)

In 2 liter hempy's i get 4.5 foot trees if vegged to long. Daily watering till about 4 weeks into flower and then they need 2 waterings per day till finish. Amazing the power of coco.

Peace, Roast.

Yeah, coco's amazing. I'm really looking forward to automatic watering to bring put it's full potential, I've been hand watering so far (except for the one run in autopots that I didn't really like) and I feel like results would've been better with more frequent watering.

Thanks everyone for chiming in & hope you guys stay for the ride :biggrin:

So this is how the guys and gals were looking today :) Some possible nuteburn on one or two of the seedlings true leaves, could be light burn from misting these too. Gonna cut back on nutes (been feeding half strenght Formulex and full strenght rooting solution) anyway to see if that's the case. Otherwise they've been rooting well and seem happy enough as they are right now. Anyone have a go-to solution to getting humidity up that doesn't involve a humidifier? Mine is way too low (RH30-35%).

Attachments

• IMG_1091.jpg
    IMG_1091.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1092.jpg
    IMG_1092.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 18
Actually now that I think of it, it could also be a humidity problem because my VPD is way off because of the low humidity and middish temps.

You're simply lettn m get too dry. Young seedlings don't like dry coco between waterngs. I would also start at 1/4 strength. 1/2 too strong.

Also, I would ALWAYS add pearl. :)

You're simply lettn m get too dry. Young seedlings don't like dry coco between waterngs. I would also start at 1/4 strength. 1/2 too strong.

Also, I would ALWAYS add pearl. :)

Alright, somehow I thought I read on here that wet-dry-cycles at seedling stage would encourage rooting. Will water more often from now on.

Actually I happened to order a 70/30- coco/perlite mix by accident so I'll be adding perlite this round too :biggrin: :biggrin:

Thanks for the tips, guys!

Ez Rider

Veteran
Alright, somehow I thought I read on here that wet-dry-cycles at seedling stage would encourage rooting. Will water more often from now on.

Actually I happened to order a 70/30- coco/perlite mix by accident so I'll be adding perlite this round too :biggrin: :biggrin:

Thanks for the tips, guys!

If you let the coco get dry, it dicks up the ph, and is hell on the roots. Especially if you're adding perlite, they'll root just fine if you keep them moist, and water to a little runoff every day. Once the blumats are up and running just keep them moist with a constant slow, steady drip. I wouldn't recommend feeding above 1.4-1.5EC with blumats either. I run ~1.0EC(or less) for most of the grow:tiphat: